“Great Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
Washington
“Great Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had been to Sun Mountain Lodge before, but had never taken the kids. This time we took the kids and we had a great time. (ages 15, 13, and 10)

From the Eastside of Seattle, it is a bit of a drive - 4 1/2 hours, but it's so pretty out there. When we were there before there was SO much snow. This time we booked for a time period where it was the case that there wasn't much snow in any of the mountain areas (on the west and east sides of the pass). There was snow, but there was also brush sticking through the snow. We were still able to enjoy ourselves.

We brought some sleds for the kids and had fun doing that. We were planning on snowshoeing, but there really wasn't enough snow, so we just did a hike in our snow boots. Still fun, but a completely different experience from when we were there before and there were feet and feet of snow. We rented fat tire bikes from the bike shop in the town of Winthrop and went biking on the snow. A first for us, and it was fun, and I imagine would be even more fun with more snow. The activities shop at the lodge rents them too. The reasons that we went into town to rent them was because the lodge didn't have a frame small enough for our 10 year old, and it seemed like there was a more extensive fat tire bike trail network in the town versus at the lodge. I'm sure if it fits your situation though, renting from the lodge would be great too.

We went on a sleigh ride. It was nice, although I wish it would have been more of a ride. Basically, the sleigh went the same way that we had hiked the day before, but we had hiked further. The sleigh makes a stop at a little hut for hot chocolate and apple cider, which was nice, but it seemed like we spent a disproportionate time at the stop vs on the ride. We got to pet the horses, which was fun.

Restaurants - we ate breakfast in Winthrop one day at a great café (can't remember the name!) and on the way home one day at a great little place in the town of Twisp called Cinnamon Twisp. We had snacks and dinner at the lodge. The casual bar type restaurant is good - a lot of selection on both food and drink. Kids are allowed in there. We ate at the full service restaurant one night. It was good, but it felt unnecessarily stuffy and I don't think that the food was as good as it should have been given the price.

We checked out a couple of hours before check-out and after we were about an hour away, we realized that we had left a piece of our son's medical equipment in the room. We really didn't want to turn back. We called to see if they had found anything. They had already cleaned our room and found what we were looking for, and they also found a sweatshirt that our daughter left that we didn't even know that she left. They FedExed the stuff right to us. They didn't charge us or even discuss payment for the FedEx, they just covered it. We've had similar experiences elsewhere, and I can tell you that not all places are as efficient, courteous, and wonderful to do this as Sun Mountain.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This not a review per se, but rather raw impressions.
I hope they will be useful nevertheless.

We do not ask for much: just taste, style and quality.
The Haub family has all that – in the heart of Cascadia. (Yes, it is like Bavaria, only in PNW and less populated).

From outside - the lodge looks like a usual German citadel of mountain tourism – so common in some parts of Europe (I am thinking about one in High Tatras - Zakopane, PL) – with tiny rooms and Spartan amenities.
Inside - this is a King size American retreat with large tastefully decorated open spaces and magnificent views. I am not sure if US visitors appreciate the size of the loos.

It is neither cheesy nor bland. It has a character, a theme and a story to tell.

When you are hungry after many kilometers of ski tracks – the food is heavenly.

Sincere service with a smile - comes before appetizer.

Attention to details: raisins (technically, sultanas) that come with the breakfast oatmeal look like good expensive kishmish, not the cheap Costco kind.

Finally, an apple pie which is a serious contender with an Austrian Apfelstrudel!

The 1911 leather bound Britannica by a fireplace – this is the perfect evening, especially with a glass of Jamaican coffee from the bar.

Step outside early in the morning: Venus rises above the Gardner Mountain. (This is not the Macy’s star, this is real Christmas. )

Step outside late at night: with star sky like that who needs a TV?

Hot tub surrounded by snow at 9 PM is just crazy. Wear swimsuit and a fur hat.

The apex of a sleigh ride: at the top of a mountain - Hank Cramer himself – talks about Woody Guthrie visiting this area in 40s and sings a bass version of “This Land is Your Land” (which, IMHO, is better than the original). The song resonates in the crystal clear crisp winter air and the miles of rocks and snow – all the way to the horizon.

Anyone could put artificial snow on a slope for mountain skiers. Nordic ski trails are precious – they are impossible to fake.

The Skip shop is a fun place: anxiety-free for first-timers, hassle-free for pros.

As our kid put it: “I want to stay here. I want to be lodge-schooled.”

Room Tip: If you rise early - ask for a mountain view room. We have got a free upgrade.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Edmonds, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We thought that having breakfast here would be the highlight of our trip but was unfortunately the low point. We have been coming here for more years than I can remember and absolutely love this place, especially the dining experience. We had a party of 8 and ended up being seated as far away from the windows and the beautiful view as possible even though the majority of the view tables were empty. It took forever for our server to come to our table and when he finally did he mumbled so much and spoke so quietly you couldn't understand a word he said. It was a very awkward customer service situation. Many things we asked for never came at all or we received the wrong things. The presentation of the food was one of the biggest issues. Many of the plates looked more like truck stop diner food than 5 Diamond Award food. It looked sloppy and had no garnishes. I ordered the homemade croissant with yogurt and fruit and it was very unappetizing. The croissant was stale and the yogurt looked and tasted like a couple plastic Yoplait yogurt cups were dumped into a cup. The menu in general was substandard for such a nice place. Not sure what happened here but hopefully it can be turned around and return to it's former glory. At this point I am in fear of returning and having a similar experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for writing - I owe you breakfast next time you are here. We did have a situation in August foe a wee while, but I am pleased to report it is fixed! We have made some major changes, including a new morning chef and a new Wolf Creek Bar and Grill chef, The service issues were handled and the fellow who served you is no longer with us.

I am so very sorry for the poor service and meal, and look forward to meeting you next time you are here and making amends.

Brian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

I loved loved loved this hotel! A friend and I spent a night here before heading into North Cascades National Park. The hotel is lovely and modern, with a very friendly staff. We soaked in the hot tub and had a clear view of the Milky Way that night- I think this became one of the highlights of my trip.

The surrounding trails are wonderful, and while our stay was short, we left with a good experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cheney, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stay there while attending a marriage retreat. Beautiful time of the year, amazing fall colors and surroundings. Staff were more than wonderful, they were very friendly, helpful and overall grand. Spa employees were very good as well. Kazia was just so nice and the pedicure was superb. Rooms were great, wonderful views from the windows.
The game room was great, but there are also many other activities that you can do. Biking, hiking, horseback riding. Winthrop is just a few miles away and it is just a super little town with a western setting. Overall experience was just grand

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I recently spent 2 nights here while attending a meeting at the hotel. I have never been to this part of the state and didn't know quite what to expect. Other than the fact that there was no easy way to get there (I live in SW Washington) my stay was excellent and I am now wishing that we come back to this place for future meetings.

I was a little leery when I read some reviews about there not being TVs in the room. I am a bit of a TV junkie (especially so on business trips) so I was a little freaked out about this but I actually found this to be an asset. There is a bar downstairs where I was able to watch the football and baseball games and it allowed me to have conversations with others about the game. There is so much to do at the Lodge that you can easily fill the time. It was off season so it was a little slow but a group of us still got down to the golf course the second afternoon and got in nine holes of golf before dark. The hot tub was open and it was great to end each night under the stars.

Fall is beautiful time to visit. The changing of the colors made for some truly awesome scenic vistas. Took way too many pictures but I just kept thinking "wow that would be a great picture".

The room was very comfortable. The beds allowed for a great nights sleep, the bathroom was not overly fancy but everything worked. The rooms were very clean and a safe in the room is always a nice touch. It was also great to start each morning with incredible views right outside my window.

Some of the reviews I have read have been not very complimentary of the food in the lounge. I disagree I had a tasty French dip and a cup of the curry soup. They had a nice selection of beer and the waitress was attentive and very pleasant. Plus the view from the bar was spectacular.

I would love to come back and visit in the summer or winter for that matter. I would also like to spend more time in the actual town of Winthrop, a western themed town. We ate dinner there the second night after golf but a lot of the shops were already closed. Plus I understand that further North in Canada is a great resort area I would like to check out. Not sure why it took me 44 years to visit this part of the state but it won't take me that long to come back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

The hotel: poor Internet. At night you got the 'too many people already logged in' message and couldn't use the wi-if at all. Let along to say no TV.

The fine dining room: The food is sub-bar for the price. The 4-diamond aaa rating is a joke. The waiter, Joshua, was slow and charged us $50 more on the bill. Mistake? I don't think so. Told the manager and he didn't even apologize.

Breakfast: have to wait for 30 mins to be seated.

The room: stopper in the tub isn't working. Had to change room at 10pm at night.

Service: most staff isn't friendly. A lot of rednecks.

Hate this hotel. Will never come back. Stay away from it if you could.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BrianCharlton, Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
We regret that your experience did not meet your expectations. At Sun Mountain Lodge we are committed to providing the best guest experience possible. We pride ourselves on presenting our guests with a peaceful escape that disconnects them from an influx of technology and reconnects them with family and nature. We would like to follow up with you personally to address your concerns.

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!