“Perfect get away” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
san diego
“Perfect get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

I stayed at sun mountain two years ago for my wedding which was absolutely beautiful the staff were amazing and the food and view were out of this world. My husband and I have gone back every year and will continue to stay with this hotel. They made us feel like we were home away from home. I would recommend this hotel to any one who loves the outdoors, beautiful scenery and relaxing time in the mountains with a five star service.

• Liked — quiet beautiful location
  • Disliked — somewhat of a drive
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
PO, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

Our experience at the Sun Mountain Lodge was wonderful! The setting is absolutely picturesque. We had about a 5 hour drive to get there but it was more than worth the long drive. Our room was as cozy as your own personal cabin and the showers are heaven. Both the restaurants were delicious and had great atmospheres. There was plenty to keep us busy, especially with our 4 year old in tow. We went sledding, played in the game room and enjoyed the outdoor hottubs. Can't say enough about how great this place is. It is definitely our favorite place to stay in Washington!

• Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pacific Northwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2008

From the moment we turned onto the winding roadway leading to Sun Mountain Lodge, we were in another world. Snow covered the road and was so deep on each side we drove up a "blind" chute and emerged at the breathtaking majesty of the lodge. It is massive, rustic and elegant all at once - masterfully suited to its location.

We stayed for two nights and would like to have taken the bed home with us it was so comfortable with dreamy soft sheets and incredibly cozy quilts. Sun shone the whole weekend and we took advantage of snowshoeing into the gorgeous Methow Valley.

A warm, friendly ambiance pervades the Lodge. We especially liked the Library and Wolf Creek Bar & Grill. It's a wonderful place we highly recommend.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

I spent a few days here, and was disappointed to say the least. The best feature of this hotel is the setting (which you can get with any hotel in Winthrop). Upon arrival I had to wait to check in while two employees were talking to one another and ignoring me. I paid almost $400 a night for a room that had the initial appearance of luxury, but nowhere near 4 star quality as the hotel would have you believe.

The hotel is about 10 minutes outside Winthrop, and the only activities are those that you have to overpay for (i.e. horseback riding at the hotel is nearly double what it costs in Winthrop).

Dining was subpar, I waited to be seated while the staff joked about folding napkins, then I was told that I would have to wait for the waitress to come seat me because the hostess had to go somewhere. After about five minutes of waiting I left and went to Winthrop for food, which was a much better choice. Against my better judgment, I went to the bar at 9:30 and was told it was closed (even though the hours said it was open until 10:00). When I finally ate at the dining room the next morning, the food was average and very overpriced.

There are no TV's in the hotel, which was explained by saying the hotel was a retreat. Unfortunately I am not one of those people that can stay away from work for days on end, and I at least needed to check my email to make sure things weren't falling apart. After using my laptop in the common area, I was told that I could not use electronics in the hotel, and that I needed to put it away or be removed from the hotel.

The staff was very snobby and were quick to make sure that you understood that asking them to do something was a huge inconvenience. Everything was a chore when dealing with these people. Apparently they are taught to make you feel like you should be honored to be staying at their hotel, and if you don't like something it's your fault. I have gotten better service at a Motel 6. The friendliest person there was a groundskeeper.

After overpaying for a ostentatious hotel staffed by snobs, I drove the four hours back to Seattle reassuring myself that I would never go back to Sun Mountain Lodge again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Talk about humble pie! As previously mentioned, our new CIA chef is fantastic and our new Food and Beverage Manager is a breath of fresh air. You won't find this "pretentiousness" again!

I am so sorry about the problems encountered and I cannot imagine who said you'd be removed from the hotel for using a laptop! We put in WiFi so you could use the laptop - we do request no laptops or cell phone use in the dining room.
justaseattlegal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

We just spent two nights at Sun Mountain Lodge and couldn't have had a better time. It was great to get away from the city and spend a quiet weekend at the lodge in front of a fire without distractions. I would agree that the rooms at the lodge are a bit expensive as they are not top quality but they are still nice. But no matter where you stay if you've got the kind of view Sun Mountain offers you'll pay for it.

As for the food - we had lunch at the lodge and the food was average. We also had dinner at the lodge one night and we didn't know what to expect but it turned out the food and service were incredible. We had a great waitress (Sarah); she was knowledgeable, attentive and warm hearted. We also had a beautiful view of the sunset from our table.

I would agree Sun Mountain is not without its faults, but I would gladly pay the money to enjoy an evening in the mountains away from the city. And maybe because I am a small town girl, I don't expect a lodge in the middle of the country to give me a big city experience. That's half the charm of Sun Mountain, it's a nice touch of the small town life I miss, it's not pretentious, it just is what it is.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

On the recommendation of an acquaintance we booked four nights at Sun Mountain Lodge for our early October honeymoon. The setting was beautiful (deer, stars, rolling hills with nothing around), but that's the only positive thing I can say about the place. If the price had been $75 per night I would have thought it was OK, but... at $350 a night, completely outrageous.

Our room in the main Lodge complex was dirty (the same dead bugs on the window sill and the same dirt on the floor every day, bathtub was never cleaned, deck was never swept, etc); we slept on the floor because it was softer than the bed; the so-called 5-star food was far worse than an average Denny's (every meal we ate in Winthrop was ten times the quality at a tenth the price); staff throughout the Lodge were incessantly complaining to each other about their jobs; the concierge was nowhere to be found; advertised programs and services at the Lodge were nonexistent.

Our experience was so bad that we actually cut our honeymoon short and left early even though we had a stay-3-nights-get-a-4th-free package.

Upon departure we were asked to please fill out a detailed comment card, which we did -- complete with our names and contact information --, and hand-delivered it to the front desk staff (still couldn't locate the concierge), but never received any response.

Thank God our wedding was perfect, since Sun Mountain Lodge reduced our honeymoon to a vastly overpriced nightmare. I could not be paid enough to stay there again under any circumstances.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — everything!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
I did reply to this and offered the couple to come back at my cost.

I was puzzled because our housekeepers receive a 91% excellent rating from our guests.

Again, the meals were not up to snuff and I am so pleased that this bad period is behind us and our new CIA graduate chef and and new F&B Manager have the dining experience under control.
Central Montana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

We spent a weekend here for a wedding in September 2007. This place is completely overrated.

If you've never been to a mountain lodge, you might think it's pretty. Frankly, the scenery disappoints. There is one pretty view, but the rest of the 'mountains' are rounded, grass covered hills. Yawn.

The food and beverages are extremely overpriced. Pizza and a burger for $80.00?

The rooms are so-so. The staff is friendly, but not knowledgeable. Oh yeah, and there's really nothing to do.

Try Big Sky, Montana, or Sun Valley, Idaho, or Jackson, Wyoming. These resorts offer twice the experience at half the price.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A bit difficult to respond to - I cannot imagine how one would not see the beauty of the natural surroundings

Now, our pizza's run $11 each and the burger (half pound, house made) is $13.

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!