“Spectacular Views and Accommodations” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Naples, Florida
“Spectacular Views and Accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

The drive to this spectacular resort is worth the trip. Great rooms with BIG views. Wonderful room layout with jet tubs, frig, in room coffee, fireplace and roomy deck. Some of the most comfortable beds too. We enjoyed a good meal at the Lodge's restaurant all dishes using local products. A bar with lighter fare was also available to guests. Both dining venues offered breath taking views as well. Grounds were beautifully landscaped, nice public spaces inside and out, including a terrific pool area.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
renton, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was our first trip as a family to Winthrop, WA and Sun Mountain Lodge. We drove over the North Cascades Highway to get there. The drive was excellent and well worth the trip by itself. I ,however , would recommend this drive more in the fall , when the leaves are changing color. We arrived at the Lodge late in the afternoon and were greeted immediately. The staff was very friendly and helpful, even though this receptionist was new. Check in was quick and easy. We went immediately to the activity center to make plans for our stay. All of the activities were listed and there was a large selection of outdoor activities to choose from. We elected to take a trail ride on the horses nearby, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I have ridden extensively in the past and thought I would be bored, and that was not the case at all. After checking in we went to our room. It looked updated and was very clean. I am very picky about my mattress and can not say enough good things about the quality of the beds there. The kids checked out the pool and hot tub and had a great time. There was also lots of indoor things to do if the weather hadn't been good. I would highly recommend a trip to Winthrop if you love outdoor activities (mountain bikes, horses, swimming, fishing, etc) The only bad thing I had to say about our stay was the cost. In the future, unless there was a special offered, I would probably stay somewhere nearby so i could afford a longer stay. if money is not your main concern, by all means stay here, they do a excellent job.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mill Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

WOW! I had never been here before (my husband had) and as we were heading up the narrow, winding road, I thought "IS there REALLY a hotel up here?". What a beautiful location! Our room layout was fabulous for my husband, who is in a wheelchair, AND it was the MOST comfortable bed we had every slept in! I have attached photos of the layout of the room and bathroom that tells the story depending on your accessiblility needs. The grounds are hilly so we chose to drive from our room to the restaurant each time. Waking up and opening the drapes to see a deer laying in a sunbeam was incredible and the views are stunning. There is NO tv as they want families and couples to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the hotel and get involved with the many activities offered....hiking trails, biking, horseback riding, volleyball, fishing, kayaking, etc. My only regret was that we arrived late to check in and were only there for one night. This was so beautiful and remote and I would love to go back and spend a few days and truly experience all it has to offer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I have been coming to this special place for more than 10 years. It's beautiful, the staff have always been very nice and helpful and the food is great. The food in Wolf Creek has improved, but I would like to see more wines available by the glass. I am writing this review because I feel like I must let couples know that it isn't (or wasn't when I was there) very quiet. These things are also not the Lodge's fault, but the parents of the children that are staying at the lodge. We were woken up by children running in the hall and talking loudly. When by the pool, kids were allowed to scream repeatedly. Only once did I see a parent explain to their kids that no one wants to hear them screaming. I'm not opposed to kids having fun and getting loud, but these kids were screaming. I went to the other pool, where I thought it was designated as the quiet pool, but apparently that is no longer the case. Not only were kids screaming, but people talking loudly on their cell phones and one lady was playing country music for all to hear. While the Lodge has a no cell phone sign before entering their restaurant, there were still people getting phone calls and talking on the phone. One table with two kids were watching videos on their phone without headphones. I cringe that this type of behavior is becoming the norm and that society is getting used to it. Maybe this is just the climate in the summer, but I do look foward to relaxing by the pool and laying in the sun. Peace and quiet may be a little hard to get here during the day outside at the Lodge. If only they didn't have such beautiful pools and killer views!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind review. Summer time can get a wee bit louder with children present. After school is back in session, such as today, the resort is very peaceful and a fabulous time to be here. Bright, warm sun; blue sky; chirping birds; grazing deer, etc.

Brian
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We planned a last minute trip to Sun Mountain Lodge after the weather in Whister turned. I loved everything about this place. The rooms were clean, spacious and VERY quiet! Although the Lodge was full, it never seemed crowded and was always peaceful. Our kids loved the pool and hot tub. They also liked the game room which had pool tables, ping pong, etc. Plus you could check out other games. Another bonus was NO tvs in the room! The views were spectacular and there was so much to do-right out the door. We played tennis, hiked, mountain biked and just had a relaxing time.
Two improvements I would like to see----1. More cardio equipment in the work out room-at least one more treadmill and eliptical (also two of the mornings there was no towells or disinfectant)
2. More variety on the bar and grill menu.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Husband and I had a great time! We were in the Mt. Robinson room, AWESOME King size bed, fantastic VIEW and best of ALL a jacuzzi tub with a view!! The staff was great!! We decided on Sun Mountain Lodge to get away from the city life, looking for a quite place AND WE FOUND IT!!! We did the cowboy dinner, riding a horse 40 minutes to the Homestead was a great adventure (first time on a horse) and dinner was BBQ steak or chicken and it was perfect!!!. The dining room had great food but must say a bit pricey to eat there (in my opinion) every night your there. The wolf creek bar had great food as well, and at half the price. Jocelyn in the bar provided GREAT service, always upbeat and ready to serve you, even after a 10 hour shift! We were sad to hear that she wouldn't be there for our last day. The only negative thing that we ran into was our first breakfast there and our waiter was NOT friendly, I ordered fruit, crossant and yogurt, I assumed that the yogurt was one flavor and he brought out Peach flavor (I don't like peach) so I chose not eat it, the next day I learned (from another waitress) that we had choices for the yogurt REALLY?????.. With that said, if the yogurt and the server we had at one meal in 4 days was the only thing bad then you know it was a great trip!!!!
We will certainly be back, would love to come up that was for winter!!! See you soon Sun Mountain Lodge!...
**** One request, the money that people spend on the Mt.Robinson rooms you might rethink about the bottle of wine that is in the room at check in and have it in there for FREE!!!!****
**** Nice touch to have music playing in the room as we enter and a nice hand written note****

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Everett, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just had another great mini-vaca at Sun Mountain Lodge. I was there years ago and decided to give myself a treat by staying in one of the Mt. Robison rooms. The hotel is top notch. Everything is spotlessly cleaned. Trust me I looked.
I remember the restaurant serving better food. We ate at the Wolf Creek Grill for dinner and the main dining room for breakfast. It tasted good but I just remember it as outstanding in earlier times. The staff was disconnected yet courteous but it seems that customer service personnel are like that all over Winthrop, especially at the end of the summer season. Great stay but eat in town if you can.

Room Tip: If you can splurge the Gardner and Robinson rooms have awesome views and balconies.