“Beware Room 413 (more like room 4 Friday 13th nightmare)” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off Clam Dig Special
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Westport
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Beware Room 413 (more like room 4 Friday 13th nightmare)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Room 413 at the Chateau Westport was the worse room I ever stayed in my 41 years of life on this planet. It really made me miss our camper. This is our first time staying at this hotel and the reviews weren't so bad. So why not right? It's a bit pricey ($154 per night) for such an old run down hotel but there's not much to choose from in the Westport area. We reserved the 2 queen beds room with kitchenette. Smaller room than we expected from the website pictures.

Saturday: Tired from our drive, we waited till 4pm to check in because I read in one for the reviews they won't let you check in early. After we awkwardly checked in and got our room KEYS. Chuckles... we never had real metal keys to a room before. It's usually a card. Anyhow, as we're approaching the room, I notice it was bordered by ice makers and staff elevator. Too tired to really think much about it, we open the two small windows to ventilate our stuffy hot room which didn't do much because there was no airflow due to the location of the window. I noticed there was no bed skirts on any of the exposed box springs along with brown stains on one blanket towards the foot of the bed. Once again, too tired to really care to change out the blanket.

We decided to head to the beach so the room can air out for a few hours. Well, it didn't until late at night. We kept the windows open all night just to make it livable. Seriously, no air conditioning or fan in this room.
This is when it all started: Woken up at.....
2 am with guests running to the elevator yelling at each other. Bed was uncomfortable.

3 am: the lamp in the room has been flickering on and off in the darkness. I thought the Aliens were here for me until my husband figured out it was a loose bulb. LOL

4 am: people getting chest full of ice nonstop for fishing trips having a conversation right next to your bed. Really missing my bed at home right now and my husband missing his boat... Desperate for a good night sleep I was thinking about getting dressed and going down to the beach to sleep in my beach chair on the sand. Then changed my mind after I visualized the police removing me from the beach as if I was homeless on a park bench covered in newspaper.

4:30am: a diesel truck running it's engine right underneath your only fresh air supply for 20 minutes. Got up and closed the window, there goes our air supply. What is that weird noise and vibration on the head board that turns on and off? Oh, it's the ice machine making more ice! My ten year old wakes and tells me her bed if made of nails and she is hungry. Got her some food to eat. Turned on the tv and didn't get any channels because the cable came undone. So no tv until morning.

5 am Finally fell a sleep and the hotel bed alarm goes off because a previous guest needed to wake up at 5am. Staff elevator opening and closing. Hungry and frustrated, so sat in a dining chair to eat something and the fell over cause the back of the chair gave out.

6am: annoyed and still awake trying to decide if we should just cancel the second night and just go home.

9 am. Had a sad continental breakfast . By sad, I mean not much to eat. Makes us really appreciated the continental breakfast at The Hampton Inn. We sat at the table and reminisce about the Hampton inn breakfast as we decided on whether to stay another night.

10 am Decided to stay because the ten year old wanted to play on the beach some more. Ask the front desk for a room change. She was nice and helpful so we decided not to bother her with the small details about our night.

11am Repack everything. Went down to the beach for an hour

12 pm Waited around the hotel to change rooms. Was told it was going to be around 12 pm. So we basically spent our only day in Westport hanging around the hotel waiting to change rooms.

4pm changed rooms. It was also the 2 queen beds with kitchenette. Same price room. It was what we paid for in the first place. Not like it was an upgrade or peace offering. Same kinda room with more windows and a small balcony on the end of the building with better airflow. Bigger than the previous room. Nice little kitchenette like the last room. More comfortable beds or we were just sleep deprived.

Next day check out without a "how was your stay" cause they already knew who we were and what room we were in. Not even an upgrade to king suite, discount or apology for the inconvenience. Just give us your money and leave people is the vibe I get.

I told my husband he can buy his RV motor home. He can thank Chateau Westport for that.
I gave them three stars because the second room we moved to was decent. And some off the staff are nice. I can overlook cheap painted lampshades, broken furniture, old TVs, and ugly wiring as long as I get a good night sleep. But overall, I just don't think it's worth $154 a night for what you don't get. For what you get, it should be a $70 a room.

Room Tip: Buyer beware! Do not take room 413
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The hotel bills itself as a "resort", I wouldn't go that far... it has a pool and a hot tub though.

One of my main complaints about the hotel is the fact that there is no air conditioning available. We stayed on the third floor. The room was hot, even with the windows open on a foggy night and the baseboard heaters off. (baseboard heating has never been one of my favorites.)

Now, some people just love soft beds that offer little or no support. Unfortunately, I am not one of them. I think that the beds were just too soft to be comfortable.

The continental breakfast was pretty lame but with no breakfast choices to note in Westport even it was welcome.

The staff seemed quite friendly, particularly Elijah who went out of his way to direct us to a decent restaurant that turned out to be quite exceptional.

The place is old, and could use a major renovation IMHO. The staff indicated that the beach was an 8 minute walk away. We found it to be about a 25 minute walk, but then we are not olympic walkers.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have an ocean view, as long as it isn't foggy.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Great service. Nice people. Great views. The place could do with a paint job but the room was clean and the bed was clean. Nice hot shower and the fire was great to fall asleep to. It was a little noisy but we're used to sleeping with ear plugs anyway so it was no problem.

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Chateau Westport. The room was clean and well maintained with TV, Wi-Fi, refrigerator, microwave, free newspaper and coffee/tea maker. Breakfast was provided with the room. Our room had a nice view looking toward the ocean. Coffee and Tea are provided 24 hours a day in the lobby. In our sightseeing around Westport, by exterior appearances, the Chateau seemed to be the best hotel in the city. Breakfast consisted of a variety of cereals, hot waffles, fresh fruits, sweet rolls, etc. We recommend the Chateau and will stay there again when in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times and I have many times paid for rooms for family and friends.
The main attraction of this condo hotel is the nearness to the ocean and the view. So why on earth do they have trees obstructing the view (especially to the SW)? Recently the trees blocked the view of fireworks and they usually block the view of sunsets. The not-very-nice manager will probably say "you can't see anything anyway." Even with an unobstructed view of the horizon, the illusion of the ocean is there. I noticed that a small area at the south part of the property had been cleared leaving only bushes about 2' high. The whole property should be like this! The straggly beach pines are not only ugly but they completely obliterate the horizon/ocean view except for a couple of rooms on the fourth floor. Open the entire property up and you can expect more customers.

Room Tip: Until they clear the trees, only rent a 4th. floor center room that faces to ocean.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Estacada, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

The room was very comfortable and had a great view of the ocean even though it is a couple of blocks from the beach. I really like being able to hear the ocean all night. The staff was very accommodating. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Skip the balcony rooms.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sammamish, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed there for a night recently.

We arrived early, around 11 and lady at the reception told us that our room is not ready and we should come at 4 PM. The way she said it wasn't really nice. It was more like: "Your room is not ready. Come after 4".

We returned around 8PM. The woman at the desk was arguing with another employee there about the fact he didn't pick up the phone on time. It was weird. She didn't stop even when were around.

I agree on another review: “Headed in the wrong direction.”.

Room itself was ok, nothing special.

Breakfast was poor. No protein at all.

I still like location of that hotel. It's in a walking distance from the beach and you can hear waves at night if your window is open.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau Westport? Share your experiences!