“Good eats” 5 of 5 stars

17601 Vashon Hwy SW, Vashon, WA
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Hardware Store is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 26 restaurants in Vashon
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bank Road
Transit: Local bus stops less than 100 yards from our front door
Description: Located on Vashon Island near Seattle, Wa.
Bellevue, Washington
“Good eats”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

While camping on Vashon our family ended up eating here two days in a row and both times we left happy.

First up was a visit on Saturday around noon. We strolled throuugh the farmers market and made our way up the street to The Hardware Store. breakfast items are offered until 2pm so the kids had eggs, which were perfectly scrambled and fluffy, along with very tasty bacon and pancakes that were light and delicious.

My wife had a half salad, which was enjoyed, along with a clams dish that she also liked. I had fish n chips which was pretty good though nothing particularly noteworthy. a few nice sized pieces of fish were fried in house batter which wasn't too greasy. The shoestring fries underneath are what you'd expect.

On Sunday we ate breakfast around 9am and a special brunch menu is offered (not really sure what was actually different about it from the regular menu we had the day before). This time I had the eggs, bacon and pancakes and was not disappointed. The mocha I had was great as well though I didn't expect a mountain of whipped cream on a non fat drink order. My wife raved about the fruit jam that comes with the side of toast. She also generally doesnt eat eggs often or particularly love them but found the scrambled eggs to be very good.

The atmosphere is nice, both visits had a nearly completely full dining room. The bar area looks like a cool place to relax with a drink or stroll through their in-house art gallery in the back. The drink menu was pretty extensive with some tasty sounding offerings.

Our only minor negative about our experience was the service staff. While they were friendly, neither was as attentive as one expects. It took us a while to finally flag ours down when we needed ketchup or were ready to pay. Minor gripes though and we'd certainly return next time we are in Vashon.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

71% Recommend
Bremerton, Washington
“The Hardware Store Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The service was excellent, the food good, the atmosphere was well done. This former hardware store was a surprise. Very comfortable, decor had just enough of the hardware store to bring back memories of times past. The vegetarian wrap sandwich was the best I've had. The fish and chips was good. The soups were good. Sandwiches packed with goodies. We were a large group and the restaurant handled our service efficiently and well.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Port Angeles, Washington
“probably the best restaurant on Vashon Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I got the chili tili(don't know if that's right) for breakfast. It was two eggs, black beans, chips, pico di gallo, and some kind of sauce, mexican style. And I had a hot cocoa. It was all good tasting and healthy. I liked the place. It was comfortable, although I felt bad sitting in a booth because the booth was huge and it was just me and my date. If I'm ever on Vashon Island again I would probably return to this restaurant.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
MAryland
“Good atmosphere and decent burger”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Made this my only stop on the island and I had their house burger which was pretty good. Nothing exceptional but it was good. Good enough to make me happy and make me return if I was ever on the island again. Another in our group who is a vegetarian had the veggie burger and said it was great.

Visited July 2012
“One of the best restaurants on Vashon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Great, good food, with great people. One of the best restaurants on the island and one of the island hubs. Seasonal specials and vegatarian options are generally available. The owner, Melinda has doen an excellent job putting together a wonderful space.

Visited June 2012