“Nice place, good owners...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quartermaster Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vashon
Quartermaster Inn
You added Quartermaster Inn to your Saves list
23824 Vashon Hwy SW, Vashon, WA 98070   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Vashon B&B and Inns
Snohomish, Washington
“Nice place, good owners...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My wife surprised me with a stay here for my 30th birthday. She got the deal that many people obtained through either GroupOn or Living Social. Either way, it did turn out to be an excellent deal. The place is a nice little place on Vashon Island, where I hadn't been since childhood. The owners and staff were very friendly, the food was excellent (especially breakfast!), and the rooms were more than adequate.

I would suggest offering hairdryers in the rooms (I distinctly recall saying, "don't pack your hairdryer. They'll have one!!" only to eat my words). I might also suggest ditching the Number Bed. In all honesty, I was excited to try it out, but it didn't really do it for me. That is of course totally a matter of opinion.

The owners are fairly new, from what I gathered, but they are doing a great job. I encourage folks to give the Quartermaster a chance.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed one Saturday night using a Living Social coupon. Our room , the Peninsula room, is normally $140 for a weekend night. We had a great time and enjoyed several chats with the friendly owners, as well as dinner, drinks, dessert and then breakfast the following day in their restaurant.

The pros: Nice owners, clean room, and a relaxing location that's a short walk to a driftwood beach or the Quartermaster Harbor marina. Great food! Had fish for dinner, followed by a delicious coconut cream pie. Drinks were good too. And breakfast (which is included) was terrific! My poached eggs were exactly as I ordered, which is unusual. Big deck with propane heaters as well as a small indoor lounging area with board games. For breakfast, the owner served and he was prompt and attentive.

The cons: Although I think they're working on it, the rooms could use some updating. Our room was very pretty (see pix), but the carpet had many stains and the bathroom was dated. The TV was in a nice old wardrobe, but one door was hard to open and the other one was hard to keep closed. They are missing a few amenties that would be nice, like a hair dryer and a coffee maker. The server at dinner (not the owner) was nice, but very slow even though there were only 3 tables filled on the deck. We waited at least 15 minutes to have our order taken. He explained that it was because the deck is so far from the kitchen, so I imagine they were getting faster service in the indoor dining room.

There's not much to do in Quartermaster Harbor itself, but the main town is quite close by car and we enjoyed the Saturday market while there and then browsing the stores on Sunday. Also, between QM Harbor and town, we stopped at the local cemetary and saw some beautiful and touching gravestones (and one very funny one).

All in all, we both felt like we'd definitely come back and that we would recommend the place to friends. The owners haven't owned the place for long and it seems like they are in the process of improving it all the time, which is always a good sign.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

A dear friend of mine decided to hold her birthday on Vashon Island, inviting all interested guests to set up tents on her new farm. Not even owning a tent, I decided to seek out a hotel or B&B on Vashon so that we wouldn't be scrambling for the ferry in the wee hours. Turned out to be a brilliant idea - as it rained cats and dogs that night.

I settled on the Quartermaster Inn after finding the pickings slim based on a B&B/hotel search. Despite the the end-of-the-season date (Sept. 25), I was told that there was only one room left so I took what I could get and ended up happy with the "leftover" - The Marina Suite.

The Suite is exactly what its name suggests: It sits right on a small pier overlooking Snug Harbor in the tiny town of Burton - about a block from the main Inn. Our room was huge, with laminate wood floors, king-size bed with down comforter, nice new flat panel TV, a kitchenette (oven, stove, toaster oven, etc) and a deck that is shared with the unit next door. The room is bright, airy and clean.

This would be a great room to reserve for a couple who plan a week on Vashon. Since there's just one bed, that's about all you can fit into the room. With just one night on our agenda, we didn't need all the amenities. However, we did take advantage of a truly delicious breakfast, included in our $200 room rate.

The inn keepers were really nice, friendly and welcoming. The limited service we experienced was great.

The only negatives to staying in this suite (I cannot comment on the main Inn itself) is that it is not high-line at all. There was a very dated 1970's barstool chair in the bathroom and the while the shower was large, it is a vinyl insert and not tiled. The furniture is basic and a bit dated. For $200 a night, you'd expect that the room would have been better decorated and more upscale. That said, I still enjoyed our stay and the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I love to support locally run businesses and thus was very excited to be exploring Vashon Island while supporting a locally run inn. Unfortunately, we were told one thing before we booked the room, and another thing after we arrived. Instead of trying to work out a fair compromise, we were met with extremely disrespectful customer service that was demeaning in nature. We were mortified that this occurred during dinner service in the middle of the dining room in font of all the other customers. Sadly, this left us feeling disappointed about our stay here and unable to recognize any charm that may have existed for this inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle,WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We stayed here with a living social deal and had a great time! The dinner and breakfast were top notch and the room was nice as well. The inn keepers were very friendly and accomodating. We would go back for sure!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kalama, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2010

The room was beautiful and comfortable. The food was fantastic! We ate two breakfasts and a dinner there. It was great! Enjoyed viewing the harbor from the bedroom in the tower, easy to get to and tour from. We had a wonderful discount using Living Social coupon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

This was a great place to stay! It was not a funky B&B like most on Vashon Island where you have to share the bathroom with the homeowner. This inn was top notch and the only place like it on Vashon. The food in the onsite restaurant was superb as well as the service. Parking could be better but the innkeepers were very accommodating in making sure we got a good spot.
I thought it was brilliant how the innkeepers/owners were working all positions in the establishment, host, waiter, innkeeper, and even bartender, what a great way to run a business in today’s tough economy. I will come back for sure and recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Quartermaster Inn? Share your experiences!