“A trip back in time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Betty Macdonald Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vashon
Betty Macdonald Farm
You added Betty Macdonald Farm to your Saves list
12000 99th Avenue SW, Vashon, WA 98070   |
Ranked #2 of 7 Vashon B&B and Inns
Seattle
“A trip back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

My wife and I recently spent three days at this idyllic setting and our experience reminded us why we come back here as often as our busy schedules permit. Owner Judith Lawrence is a charming and accommodating proprietor, who will do whatever she can to enhance your stay. This cozy enclave transports us back to a simpler time and we love curling up with a book in front of the wood stove. My wife loves to soak in the claw foot tub, by candle light and gaze out at Puget Sound. We prefer the cabin, but when we last stayed in the loft we were nearly eye to eye with a couple of eagles. The rustic charm of this setting is not to be missed. We feel like moving here every time we visit.

Room Tip: The loft has a more expansive view of Puget Sound, but the cottage has a larger outdoor deck for sit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I continue to return again and again to this magical place. Every time we are as charmed and delighted as we were the first time we stayed in the loft. Judith Lawrence, the owner/manager has an artful eye and a flare for creating a rustically-refined interior that always makes my heart skip a beat. The loft is filled with wonderful books and old photos of the area. The open kitchen is well equipped with vintage china and glassware, and everything you might need to prepare a meal.

Vases of beautiful, fresh-cut flowers from the expansive gardens always greet us. On most days, we glimpsed a view of Mt. Rainier from the deck while enjoying a cup of morning coffee. In the evening we sipped on wine while peering over the treetops to the view of Puget Sound.

Judith Lawrence is a "bringer of beauty and joy". You will delight in meeting her, in experiencing the Betty Macdonald Farm for yourself and in walking in or sitting in the gardens. I invite you to enjoy the solitude, the quiet, and seek the beauty that you will find tucked in every little nook and cranny, as we did.

Room Tip: The loft entrance is via stairs. If that is problem for anyone or yourself, there is a lovely cottag...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Loved it so much last year that I came back! Stayed in the loft both times, so cool! Love the wood stove, and all the totally cool stuff! Cozy and fun. Judith is an amazing hostess. We will be back! Happy New Year!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We know we have complete freedom at the Betty MacDonald Farm to put our cares away for a long weekend retreating from the hussle of our city life and settle into cozy. Throw open the doors to the Loft balcony, third level of a renovated barn, peering over treetops to a glorious water view of Puget Sound, distant ferries, and snow capped mountain on the horizon. Ferry to the north end of Vashon Island is minutes away from the accomodations. Our host knew our arrival time would be late and had bed linens turned down, sheets by the way that were quite gorgeous to sleep in and the comfy bed begged rising late in the morning. No need to sit across a common table in the morning for breakfast as each accomodation has a fully equiped kitchen, decor integrated with the rest for an open feel, Free run local eggs cream, butter, coffee stocked in fridge. Recommend that you bring your own groceries or buy at the charming Thriftway Store if you don't want to eat out. Nordic feel throughout. Plenty of white fluffy towels and personal bathrobes. Ahhhhh.........peace.

Room Tip: Both the Cottage and the Loft have a wood stove and spectacular views.. Cottage and Lumber Barn have...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

This is one very special place, cozy, but roomy, and unique, with absolutely gorgeous views, and the owner and manager Judith goes above and beyond to assure that your stay is great. I came with my husband and two kids and stayed in her gorgeous cabin. (I've stayed with my husband alone in the loft which is also great, very romantic and incredible views from the balcony) She found out my son loved trains and she set up a full model train she had in the loft area outside her office. So sweet! He was in heaven. She helped us with our ferry schedule and had big buttery croissants and fresh jam for us for breakfast. The beds are just divine with beautiful bedding and the claw foot tub in the cabin I spent an hour in every morning stepping out into my luxury fresh robe left out for us. I felt like a queen (and I was with my kids! ;) Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms are wonderfully unique and each space I've stayed in feels like a different experience...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The rooms here are lovely, but the manager is one hassle after another. I stayed here by myself and had a lovely time. Then I tried to book a reunion getaway and was told by the manager that she could "make just as much money renting to someone who won't party and ruin the carpets." Thirty-year-old couples playing board games and drinking hot chocolate? We hadn't exactly planned to trash the place. I would not stay here again, which is a shame as the views are lovely and the rooms are quite cozy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed in the cottage and had a lovely time. With two bedrooms, a bathroom with shower stall and bathbut, a spacious living room, and an open kitchen, it was quite roomy and would be as comfy for four as it was for us two. It reminded me of my grandparents' lake cabin in the 60s, with the most delightful little touches. Indeed, this is like house sitting for your great aunt -- the house is so full of quirky items and little details that it seems lived in.

We also appreciated being left alone: we don't usually stay in B & Bs because, as introverts, we find it uncomfortable having the innkeeper drop in on us or cook us breakfast and expect us to make conversation meanwhile. In this visit, we actually never saw an employee. A little note directed us to the cottage entrance, which was unlocked. We brought sausage and potatoes and found the other makings in the refrigerator to cook a skillet scramble for our breakfast. Sitting on the deck overlooking Puget Sound with a cocktail the evening we arrived was also fun and relaxing. Our only complaint is that the place is getting a little run down -- my husband, a retired carpenter, wished he'd known to bring along a few simple tools as he could have fixed a few things himself like broken screen doors in just minutes. But everything was clean, so the important items are being attended to.

Room Tip: The loft above the barn doesn't have the water view and appears pretty small, so we recommend sp...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Betty Macdonald Farm? Share your experiences!