“Good food with great setting” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Restaurant at Alderbrook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Union
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 106
Puyallup, Washington
“Good food with great setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Food was well prepared and service was excellent. Prices were reasonable and the atmosphere was conducive to a pleasant dining.

Visited November 2012
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at The Restaurant at Alderbrook, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for the review Ted R. We are very glad that you enjoyed the restaurant at Alderbrook. I will be sure to share the review with the staff. ~Frank for Alderbrook

Port Orchard, Washington, United States
“Disappointingly poor cuisine. Don't waste a special occasion here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We made a reservation here for our anniversary, because the menu looked good online, and we trusted that they knew what they were doing in the kitchen. We were wrong. Our server was pretty good, although I wish he had been more proactive in advising us what was "good" to order that night.
For appetizer, we ordered the halibut cheeks, which were kind of dry and tough, and their naturally sweet, delicate flavor was completely overpowered by salt and strong black pepper, as well as the awful butter sauce they seem to overuse here. Already, this was not a good sign.
Next we had the house clam chowder, which I would rate as "average". It had a strong smoke flavor( which made it taste more like a cheese soup) and contained very few clams.

For entrees, I had the Hood Canal Coho Salmon, and my husband had the Scallops dish. I ordered my salmon to be cooked medium rare, but it arrived dry and well-done, and even "crunchy" at the edges. I pointed this out to the waiter and he took it back to the kitchen to prepare another. The next one was cooked more gently and was not dry, but I noticed that the center was more on the rare side -- it was not cooked evenly -- and some edges were still crunchy. The cucumber/dill concoction was piled on top of the salmon; the dill was quite strong and I ended up deconstructing the dish so I could control the amount of topping. Underneath was some sort of quinoa with a grainy texture and not a very interesting flavor.

My husband's scallops we only seared on one side, leaving the other side undercooked. They also were not seasoned before they were seared, so they were bland. BUT -- the worst part was that they had NOT been properly cleaned, and after eating two that were slightly gritty, the third one gave him a mouthful of sand. At this point he threw in the towel and stopped trying to eat the dish. The scallops were served over a really strange, bland, white-bean casserole, and there were globs of butter (or something like it) under the scallops, which had to be wiped off. Really bizarre pairings of foods.
We let the waiter know about the sand in the scallops, and he offered us something else instead, but by then we didn't want anything else. Promptly a member of management arrived at our table and said he heard that things were going so well tonight, we pointed out the sand and the improperly cooked seafood, and he apologized and took 50% off our bill, and gave us a complimentary dessert and coffee.
The vanilla bean creme brulet was actually quite good, and so was the coffee.

Overall, this restaurant is an extreme disappointment. I don't know what they are thinking in the kitchen. They should be doing classic Pacific Northwest cuisine, but they don't even know how to cook seafood. They also should be using classic local ingredients like chanterelle mushrooms and loganberries, but they are nowhere to be found on the menu. Even the wine list was lacking -- how about something from Hood Canal Winery? How about some Loganberry wine on the dessert wine menu? Everything on the dessert wine menu was from California.

Local people know how seafood and wild game should be done, and this restaurant isn't cutting it. A high-end resort restaurant like this one should be knocking it out of the ballpark on each and every dish served. Don't waste your time and money here. You will get better prepared seafood at Anthony's or even at many taverns.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at The Restaurant at Alderbrook, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Cynthia W, Thank you for your review. Each and every paragraph was included in a top management discussion. As we are sure you know, we value our reputation as a Conde Nast Reader's Choice Award Winner for Top Mainland Resort and Top Ten Spa and recently being voted #1 Resort in King 5's Evening Magazine's Best NW Escapes. Feedback from our guests is invaluable to us, so, again thank you. ~Frank for Alderbrook Resort
Englewood, Florida
“So Pacific Northwest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I have ventured to the pub twice in the past week for food while staying in this area. I loved every minute of each experience.
I think the main building is so beautiful and love the view from the pub and dining room.
My sister in law and I were able to make a happy hour for drinks and dinner on a busy Friday afternoon. We both had glasses of wine. At $5 during happy hour the glasses were large. My sister in law enjoyed her half price fish n chips while I enjoyed the half price mac n cheese. Our server was excellent.
This week a friend and I met for lunch, again at the bar. My friend loved her mac n cheese with crab, and I enjoyed the chowder in bread. We both enjoyed several cups of the coffee.Our server was good.
The food is spendy. I experienced very good customer service. I think the view is spectacular. I like the decor as it does not compete with the view. The decor is simple and a bit rustic. This is the Pacific Northwest after all.
Thanks to all for two lovely experiences.

Yes, the food is spendy.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fltravelinggal, Thank you for the review. We are so glad you and your friends enjoyed your time at the restaurant. Hope to see you again soon. ~Frank for Alderbook
Denver, Colorado
“A huge disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Never have I spent so much and gotten so little in return as recently experienced at Alderbrook Resort. What a disappoinment! They not only have serious problems in the kitchen but the interminable wait only added to our sense of letdown. Mind you, our server was most pleasant and tried to put a good face on the situation, but I can only describe the experience as dreadful. Even the restaurant decor was uninspiring, though the view on a lovely day/evening can mitigate that to some degree. But the quality of the food and its preparation left a lot to be desired, certainly when you're paying Manhattan prices. Would I go back? Needless to say, NEVER.
H.W. Hallman
Denver, CO

Visited October 2012
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at The Restaurant at Alderbrook, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hello HWH2332, Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that we didn't live up to your, or our, standards. The head of Food and Beverage is looking into the issue that your review brought up. We want to express to you our sorrow and apologize. We sincerely do appreciate you sharing this with us. It is not our norm, by any means, to disappoint. ~Frank for the Restaurant at Alderbrook
Seattle, Washington
“Pricey, but worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

The food and drinks are always top notch, and the views and atmosphere are beyond gorgeous. I love the outdoor restaurant and bar in the summer times, and the fact that you can just tie your boat up and come as you are. The restaurant is more suited for resort attire, and while it's a bit pricey - it's alwasy great food and wonderful service. Great drinks, too.

Visited September 2012
FrankJKenny, Public Relations Manager at The Restaurant at Alderbrook, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Alisha H, Thank you so much for the restaurant review. We do live and work in a special place. We consider ourselves fortunate to be able to share the venue with our guests. Hope to see you again soon. ~Frank for Alderbrook