“Alderbrook Resort & Spa” 4 of 5 stars

You added Alderbrook Resort & Spa to your Saves list
7101 East State Highway 106, Union, WA 98592   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Battle Ground, Washington
“Alderbrook Resort & Spa”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The service here is top notch, the grounds are beautiful. From having the door opened for us to enter, to the check in, to the restaurants, all the employees we encountered bent over backwards to welcome us and give top notch customer service. I wasn't aware they had an indoor salt water swimming pool so I had no suit, but plenty of guests were enjoying it even on the cold November day. The food in the restaurant and lounge was very good. The bed was very comfortable and the cottage we stayed in had everything one would need to prepare meals in-room. I would love to return in the summer and enjoy the kayaks and other outdoor activities.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
We're so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay in one of our cottages DJH67! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Have a wonderful winter and we'll see you in the spring or summer to try out those kayaks!

Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

LODGE - My wife and I decided to come here for her birthday as well as a couples getaway, as we have had a few different friends recommend it in the past. We arrived to have two gentleman opening the lodge doors for us, welcoming us in, and then a concierge welcoming us and starting a friendly conversation as she checked us in. This was just the beginning of the great service we experienced, and it continued throughout our stay. Other nice additions to the lodge were the events such as spirits tastings, live music, the large fireplace where we played chess, and the two rescue cats that were loving and friendly.

ROOM - Our room was real cozy, especially with the day bed that we used a bunch for reading and looking at beautiful Hood Canal. Add in the hot chocolate from the Keurig and we were in heaven. To add to that, the manager of the hotel got wind that it was my wife's birthday and she wrote a nice note welcoming us and added in a bottle of wine, which was the perfect touch and much appreciated. The room was equipped with a large jacuzzi tub, a very comfortable King size bed with plenty of plush pillows, a stocked mini bar / fridge and plenty of closet space for two.

FOOD - Our first impression of the restaurant when we went there for dinner the first night was "expensive"! But after eating the food, it was worth it. We ended up eating all of our meals here, expecting to be disappointed by the value, but we never could find something to not like about it. The food is wonderful, the service is great and on point, the wine list is large and the beer and liquor are good.

CONS - If I'm going to be picky, heres what stood out to my wife and I. Don't come here during the winter expecting to be able to do a lot outside of the resort. We drove up to Hoodsport (25 minutes NW) one afternoon to find a restaurant for lunch, but there wasn't more than five places to choose from along that 25 minute drive. It was too cold to do much outside, and there wasn't any snow on the ground (Late November) to play in. We ended up going back to the resort and relaxing. During the summer I don't think there would be an issue as there are tons of outdoor activities to choose from, such as golfing, hiking and kayaking, among many others. To sum it up, if you come here in the winter, plan on relaxing, laying low, and not making any plans.

Room Tip: Some of the 3rd floor rooms have vaulted ceilings. I think ours was 16-20 feet, it was awesome!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Wow-thank you for choosing our property to celebrate both your anniversary and your wife's birthday NateBurgher24! We are SO happy to hear that your experience at each of our outlets was positive and have shared your feedback with our management team. Your feedback about options as to what to do in the area is great; I only wish that you had requested more information from our team. We have a Guest Experience Manager that serves as our guest's solution to this dilemma. We do hope that you decide to return and let us show you what the surrounding area has to offer at all seasons of the year!

Have a wonderful holiday,

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Locally, this is probably one of my favorite retreats/escape-the-town places. It is about a 2-hour drive from Seattle. My wife and I stayed here for our one year anniversary. The first thing I noticed was the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. We were on the 4th floor, and had a full view of the Hood Canal. Our room had a king bed, a bath tub, and there was a place to lay next to the windowsill. Awaiting us were some cookies and a plate decorated with "Happy Anniversary" - that was a nice touch. Initially, we had decided to book a complimentary tour at the Hoodsport Winery but decided to just stay in at the resort & spa. If you are interested in just lounging around, the resort offers DVD rentals free of charge. The food is wonderful. We decided to only eat at the bar/lounge because of the food prices. Plus they allowed us to order from the dinner menu with the luxury of having a view of the water. I must add that the Beecher's Mac and Cheese with Dungeness Crab is probably one of these best mac and cheese dishes that I have ever had. The servings are quite large and the staff were just so friendly that we decided not to visit a local restaurant and just ate at the bar/lounge or had room service during our entire stay. The spa was excellent. My wife was adamant that we have the Alderbrook Signature Massage - Couples Treatment, and so I relented. The therapists were wonderful and respectful. Personally, I would recommend the spa. The only reason I gave the resort 4 stars instead of 5 stars had to do with a particular experience with the spa. We purchased a few things from the spa, and the items that we purchased did not have price tags on them except for one of the items. I spoke to the attendant at the front desk of the spa who had sold us the items and placed them on our hotel tab, and she informed me of the prices of each item. Naturally, because the attendant works at the spa, I would assume that the attendant would know exactly what the prices are. As we checked out, I was surprised to see an additional $20 tacked onto each item. I was able to get one of the items corrected because it was the only thing that had a price tag in the first place.

I still highly recommend Alderbrook Resort & Spa, maybe just be weary of purchasing unpriced items from the spa unless it is labeled.

Room Tip: We took a king bed, with a full view of Hood Canal, and that included a bath tub.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for choosing our property to celebrate your anniversary pinoytraveler84! We so appreciate the thorough and loving review and we are elated to hear that you were able to enjoy your stay. Your feedback has been shared with our entire management team and we'd love to correct the confusion about your Spa charges. Please email me directly at: kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com so that we can fix this for you.

Happy anniversary and thanks again for choosing our property to celebrate this special occasion,

Gibsons, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Admission: we had a promotional certificate for one night's stay (meals excluded).

Our room was on the third floor and faced the canal. Large room, high ceilings, quiet, clean and comfortable. The window seat was a really nice feature. The kidney shaped bath was luxurious.

The place was really let down by the lounge/dining experience. The staff were obliging enough but very disorganized. We were pre-advised that a reservation was not required. When we got there it was full. No problem, we'll go to the lounge and review the menu over a drink. The server removed the menus because we were not eating in the lounge, and the drinks we ordered were forgotten!

The dinner menu is extensive and very expensive. The food was average at best. The dining room was full and so noisy (high ceilings and hard surfaces?) that conversation across the table was difficult.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience of our property Jonathan S! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and we are so disappointed to hear that the time you spent in our Restaurant did not meet our high standards. Each of our managers on property have received your feedback for review and discussion. We'd love to make things right with you. Please email directly at kathryn.kamin@alderbrookresort.com so that we can discuss things further.

Belfair, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My wife, I, and our leash / house-trained canine have stayed here for many years for our annual celebration and adhoc weekend escapes alike! We love staying here in the fall, winter, and spring during the "slow" season, because it is quiet, peaceful (except for daytime maintenance), while still offering full services. The spa is a perfect escape with local, friendly staff - while my wife has used the spa for years, I have only recently tried the "A Woodsman's Buff" (for the guys), and it was definitely worth it and I got rave reviews on my skin from my wife afterwards! The staff is friendly, courteous, accommodating, and knowledgeable.

Room Tip: Pet suites are limited, but if you take a short walk, there are plenty of great vistas from the cour...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Wow-thanks for the glowing review Max H! We're honored to be your local favorite retreat and love the feedback on the Spa! Your feedback has been shared with our management team as well.

Cheers!

Port Orchard, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Relaxing for a weekend at Alderbrook at least once a year has been a tradition for my husband and I for the past 5 years or so. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is delicious, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the location is beautiful. I've only visited the spa once but definitely recommend indulging yourself at least once.

My only suggestion is not to get a room near the elevators or a garden view room on the ground floor near the meeting room. The elevator noise carries into the room as does the noise from gatherings in the meeting room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
We're honored to be your annual retreat Stephanie F! Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We value your feedback and have shared it with our management team.

Take care,

Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

The food was great and all the staff outstanding. However, the rooms are in need of updating, at least the one we occupied. The paint was chipped, the chair was very worn, there were circles on the top of the coffee stand which could be easily remedied with a piece of granite, and the carpet is out of fashion. The grounds were beautiful as well. It's just time for the place to get a little spiffy work done to the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in a room that has been updated if there is such a thing.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
KathrynKamin, Manager at Alderbrook Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
We're so happy to hear that our staff made your stay "outstanding" Lin01Seattle! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on our property. We are constantly working to improve every aspect and experience of what we offer to guests and have shared your thoughts with our management team.

Alderbrook Resort & Spa

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!