“Beautiful Getaway, Thin Walls!” 4 of 5 stars

Alderbrook Resort & Spa
7101 East State Highway 106, Union, WA 98592   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Union
Seattle
“Beautiful Getaway, Thin Walls!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

I stayed at the Alderbrook resort because I was attending a conference there. The property is stunning and my room was perfect! I loved the feel of the place and I wished I could have done more relaxing!

My only problem with Adlerbrook was the really thin walls. You can hear everything you're neighbors are doing or watching on tv. One of my neighbors recieved a 6am wake up call and because of the thin walls, it was also my wake up call.

Other than that, this was a wonderful place to stay!!

• Liked — My room was beautiful!
  • Disliked — The thin walls!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

I took my 2 daughters 11 and 14 for our 3rd Annual Mom and Daughter get away. I found this resort on the internet. It was a 3 hour drive from Langley, B.C. We had a great trip up, the weather was good and we stopped at all the outlet malls.
When we arrived at the resort and it was just as it appeared on the internet, looks very new, but has the lodge feel and look we were wanting for this trip. We were very excited to see our room. The Lobby is wonderful, Huge ceilings and a wonderful stone fireplace always roaring. Very cozy too. They have just purchased 2 lynx kittens named alder and brooke, they are a hoot. The Lobby and grounds were beautiful and clean, they have a magnificent waterfall just outside the Lobby with stepping stones that you can walk up. There is a wharf complete with a spirit shack. This would be really nice in the summer, boat rentals, tours etc. Check in was very fast and the girl was courteous. (It would be a real treat if the lobby had fresh flowers instead of silk and a fruit basket) Coffee is available in the am. We had a creekside room (room 329) and could see some of the Hood Canal, but we didn't ask for a water view room. The room was very well appointed for our needs and had a coffee bodem, tea, creamers, sugar, etc, and a nice pay treat basket, (we always bring our own) minibar, hundreds of movie selections on their pay per view - 9.99 per movie. The beds were very nice, loads of pillows and nice down comforters. You have full control of the room temp. The bathroom is very nice, big tub (ours did not have jets, we were not exptecting them, The shower has built in hair shampoo, condition and gel dispensers. (so does the bathroom sink) Plenty of fluffy white towels and 2 wonderful robes. We needed a 3rd robe and they brought one to us very quickly. I will post some pix. They also have cottages that are very well appointed, there is nothing old and rustic about these, we plan to come back with "the Dad" in the summer and spend a weekend. The pool is really clean (open to 1030 which is great for the kids) and warm, they have lots of floats and toys. The hot tub is really nice and there are plenty of towels at the pool, so you dont have to bring from the room. (hope this is the same in the summer) There is a steam room and sauna, very clean too. Just outside the pool area (you can access inside the pool) is the fitness room, its great, large TV and treadmills, eliptical bikes, weights etc and my fav part (hand sanitizer) very clean gym. The spa is very nice, the girls had their nails painted, and the girls were great. The spa has a fruit basket and cucumber water to enjoy while you wait, very serene. We took a drive up the canal, not much up there a couple of antique shops, general store - great icecream. Its best to do your shopping before you go and just relax in the hotel. The restaurant is really good and it has a very nice view of the canal and mountains. They are very easy going at this resort, we felt relaxed and there was not people watching our every move, we could sit anywhere to read and just relax. We felt very comfortable here and would return for another girls getaway

• Liked — The Lodge feel, pool, jacuzzi, room, everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Seattle area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

I had heard rave reviews from friends about Alderbrook over
the years. After reading the reviews on this site, I wanted to
arrive with an open mind, since the reviews were not
consistent.

From the moment we arrived, we were treated with warmth and
genuine, friendly service.

Our room was nicely appointed and we had a lovely view
of the canal.

The food in both the bar and restaurant was top notch, as well as
the service. Any question we had about the menu or wine
was answered knowledgeably with a smile.

The resort itself has a "lodge" feel, with a huge stone fireplace
in the lobby.

The only negative we had was the lack of sound proofing of
the room. We could hear conversations from the rooms
next to us. However, the positives were so numerous that this
wasn't a deal breaker for us.

We did not use the spa, but it has a varied menu of items
and looked inviting.

I would highly recommend this property to others.

I travel each week for a living and I stay in many different hotels.
Service and ambience are important to me and I have high
expectations. Alderbrook was a wonderful peaceful retreat where
I was able to "recharge" before heading off to my next trip.

• Liked — peaceful setting; food and wine, service
  • Disliked — hearing others while in the room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

Went to Alderbrook with our 6 year old to get away for mid-winter break. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage. The cottage was okay, though one of the windows didn't lock, and the hot water faucet needed to be fixed (which they took care of quickly.) The big problem was construction noise from the property next door, which was about 15 feet away from our cottage over a fence. At 7 am every morning loud sawing, hammering, etc. right out our bedroom window which woke us all up. No sleeping in for us. Very disappointing, as we were looking forward to quiet and rest. I called the front desk the first morning and the woman was lukewarm, did not apologize and essentially told me the hotel was not responsible for construction noise not on the property. I asked if they were aware of the construction and she said it had been going on for 5 months, but there had been no complaints lately. (Lately!) I pointed out that a hotel should notify guests of problems like this when they book. We would not have stayed here had we known. She finally offered a $50 discount, but did not apologize or offer to move us.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

Went to Alderbrook over President's Day weekend, we had a one bedroom cottage, it was wonderful! The check in was a breeze, I was a bit nervous since I had read some reviews that said the front desk was not up to par, I did not find that to be the case. They were very attentive! I had an issue with the T.V. and I called the front desk and they had someone come out immediately and fix it. I was very impressed. The cottage was wonderful, I liked the fact that I was able to prepare meals whenever and could grab a snack at any time. The bed was so comfortable and the whole ambiance of the cottage is up to date and very hip.
The view at Alderbrook is amazing, we really liked being able to look out the window and see the Olympics
Everything about this place was wonderful, we will be back and bring the whole family next time!

Bette-Seattle, WA

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

I've stopped at Alderbrook for a bite to eat while driving by a number of times, so I knew pretty much exactly what to expect, but this was my first time staying overnight. The entire building was rebuilt a few years ago and brought up to modern standards. The result is a really magnificent structure and grounds on one of the most picturesque pieces of land in the area.

There were a few chinks in the armor, but overall, the experience was fantastic. I'll dispense with the complaints up front, just so they're out there: The large, very comfortable and beautiful king side bed had no bedside tables. This seemed like a minor annoyance until, fumbling for a glass of water in the middle of the night, I spilled it all over my company issued laptop. The restaurant's menu was creative and unique, but there was a point where I just wanted a simple meat and cheese omelette and it wasn't available. The walls were by no means "paper-thin", but I could hear the baby in the room next to us crying. It wasn't particularly bothersome, but I did notice it, which I didn't expect with such hiqh quality, modern construction. I've been to fancier spas, but the quality of the massage was top-notch, which, in the end, is all that really mattered to me.

What shines: The lobby, with it's 30' tall rock chimney fireplace, comfortable couches and chairs in which to lounge, read a book, play chess, backgammon, or read one of the books from their library is phenomenal. I really couldn't get enough of this magnificent space. And to boot, the two kittens running around playing, entertaining the guests, and just generally being cute, was particularly fun.
The grounds are beautiful. Assuming you visit on a clear day, the Olympic Mountains loom like giants in the distance. Seals, ducks, and waterfowl go about their day in the waters of Hood Canal just off the manicured lawn. The dock provides plentiful guest moorage for visiting boats as well as kayak rental, swimming, and even a cold beer in the summer. One the cottage side of the complex, there are outdoor stainless steel barbecues for anyone to use as well as picnic tables and large grass yards for kids to play in.
There are great banquet facilities that are clearly positioned with weddings in mind, but also play host to a number of small conventions, and club meetings. While we were there, there was a motorcycle club meeting, a wedding, and some sort of non-descript "good cheer" club or something like that.
The indoor saltwater pool, although a bit cloudy, was warm and inviting even in the grips of a cold winter day. Yet, in the summer, the numerous sliding glass doors open up the glass structure to the outdoors. The only downside is that you can't float on your back and gaze on the clouds or stars.
There are numerous touches of ambiance throughout the property. Whether it be the large, outdoor, rock fireplaces, the life-sized, outdoor chess board, or the pictures lining the walls of the lodge, showing the history of the nearly 100 year old resort, there are touches everywhere that make you feel at home.
The location of the resort is about as good as it possibly can be. It's close enough to Seattle and Tacoma to be a short drive, but far enough that you don't feel the pressure of urban sprawl. It's proximity to hundreds of miles of some of the best hiking trails in the world in the Olympic Mountains, while being nestled along the shores of one of the most bountiful natural fjords in North America, it is an outdoor enthusiasts dream.

My recommendation: This is the perfect place to experience what it really means to live in the Puget Sound area. The beautiful scenery blended with a certain level of unpretentous sophistication, and the abundance of outdoor fun really sum up life in the area. If you're coming from out of town, and want to spend a night or two outside the city, this is THE place to go. As you sit in the lobby, you'll be able to watch the transition as people file in the door carrying their luggage, weary from an espresso-fueled week at their stressful job, and check in, only to emerge from their room minutes later, changed and ready to tackle the hike up challenging Mt. Elinor, or hop into a boat and attempt to catch themselves a fresh salmon dinner. A few hours later, you'll see them return from their adventures of the day, to enjoy a good glass of Walla Wall wine perfectly paired with their gourmet dinner as they watch the sun set over the snow-capped Olympics, reflected in the calm waters of Hood Canal. And hopefully, you'll watch this unfold, and be inspired to do the same.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Bainbridge Island, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

This was our fourth visit to Alderbrook. We have stayed three times in a cottage and once in the lodge. We arrived late on a Friday and were given the same cottage for the third time which was fine as it is water view and close to the pool/lodge. If you request a water view and book early this time of year they are very accommodating. The cottages are cozy with the gas fireplace. Upon arrival I noticed that the dishwasher was full and since I didn't know if they were clean or dirty dishes I attempted to run it through a cycle. I could not get it to work and my husband confirmed in the morning that the switches were not working. He was annoyed as he had to wash dishes in order to prepare breakfast. I called the front desk and they later sent out a maintenance man who was able to fix the problem. They gave us a 75.00 credit to our room for our trouble.

We had dinner in the restaurant that night and things were a little "off". It was as if the chef didn't show up and they were "winging" it. Undercooked potatoes and noodles and lentils for that matter. We simply mentioned it to the waitress and the manager comped our entire meal including drinks. I've certainly never had that happen before so that was very nice. They even followed up with a phone call a week later.

Our breakfast the next morning was very good.

The staff was really exceptional in my opinion. This is a great family place. I loved that our 14 year old and his friend could walk around and go to the pool and they were safe.

The two kittens that they have brought on as resort cats were the highlight of my weekend.

We'll go back.

Stayed January 2008

Been to Alderbrook Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!