“eccentric but good” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Twisp, Washington
“eccentric but good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food at Tappi is usually pretty good. but often too salty for my taste. John has a substantial wine list from Italy and Sicily, most of which are above my budget so I have not yet tried them out. Attention: call ahead to make sure they are open because even when they say they are they often are not.

Visited November 2012

Tacoma, Washington
“Excellent real Italian food in the Methow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

One of our favorite Seattle restaurants is The Pink Door. Being one-quarter Italian, I know that lasagna and cheese driven pasta is only part (a small part) of the Italian food story. The Pink Door does it right, and we were pleased to learn about Tappi in Twisp, where we dined last Friday.

Having skied (yes, there's plenty of snow now in the Methow for cross-country skiing) for several hours on Friday and earlier days, we were in the mood for some serious and tasty food. John was ready for the task.

My wife ordered the special squash pizza, and claimed it was the best squash she'd ever eaten in her life (which is saying something since we love squash). The squash was buttersweet from Carlton and it was tasty. The other woman in our party ordered the ribs, which were fall of the bone variety and sufficient for her to enjoy for dinner the next day. The other man in our party ordered the Venetian beef, which I'd thought about ordering but I didn't want doubles, good to share different foods, etc. That Venetian beef as served with polenta, generous portion, and wonderful. I looked up a recipe for it and learned that, according to one website, Venetian beef is cooked for hours in several cups of wine. I can believe it.

I ordered the lamb shank with white beans. Again wonderful. I had enough beans leftover to heat up the next morning, and mix with an egg. I liked it so much I went to the market after we got home and bought a couple shanks myself to try out a couple different recipes.

We had the Barbaresco Nebbiolo with the food, a lovely selection. A jazz trio added musical fun to the evening. Playing 1920s-40s jazz, they were enthusiastic and very good.

I'd even come here solo, and just sit at the bar. Service is excellent and attentive.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kelowna, Canada
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Friendly and welcoming however,.....our meal sat under the heat lamp while they made a pizza for a table that came in after us. My pasta would have been very very tasty otherwise - just a little crusty from being under the lamp. The lamb shank was a bit rank and not one veggi in with the beans. Unfortunately we would not go back from this one experience

Visited October 2012
Sequim, Washington
“A great dining experience in Twisp”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Referred by our hotel and not disappointed. Though Twisp has limited dining Tappi's would hold its own in any location. The wood fired oven is the center of the food preperation. I bake bread and am envious of the baked homemade bread topped with a light salt, we had ours served with baked tomato, oregano and olive oil as an appetizer- a meal in itself. Since we do not eat much meat at home we elected the steak which had a great flavor, cooked to perfection and was ample in proportion. Diner was paired with a glass of nice house red. The accompanying greens were fresh and tasty. No room for dessert. Definitely recomment a dinner a Tappi's prepared by the owner who is a real craftsman.

Visited August 2012
Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have been through the Methow Valley a few times and know from experience that having a meal at Tappi is required, as are reservations to go to Tappi! So this time we made the reservations well ahead, and even received a long distance call to confirm them. The service was great by our server Rebecca, and the food outstanding. The wine was excellent ..... a very nice night out!

• Visited August 2012