“Poor shower and paper-thin walls :-(” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Tumwater
Seattle, Washington
“Poor shower and paper-thin walls :-(”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My arrival was made unpleasant by the lack of any baggage cart or any offer of assistance with my several bags up to the second floor. Once there, it became apparent that my electronic key was not working, so I had to carry all of my gear back down to the front desk where the key was re-encoded. Although a polite apology was tendered by the man at the front desk, I then had to carry my several bags back upstairs to the second floor. Fortunately, the key worked this time.

The hot water heater was exhausted after running the shower for four minutes. This is not customer service, this is insulting your guests..particularly in a hotel marketed for families and extended stays. A good shower is critical for all travelers, and this is an area that no hotel should ever pinch pennies over.....it's the sort of thing that people remember forever and will cause them to never return.

I was awakened by the person in the next room snoring. It wasn't even a particularly loud snore; it was fairly minimal, actually. The walls are so thin that I was glad that I was staying there in the off-season when the hotel was largely empty. It would have been a nightmare with any sort of actual noisy activity in any of the adjoining rooms. I was happy to only be staying for two nights while being exhausted each day upon my return to my room....rendering sleep a fairly easy task.

The only 'restaurant' within walking distance of the hotel is a Jack-In-the-Box. Anything else requires a drive due to the distances involved. The staff at the Jack In the Box was very polite and gracious.

The free wi-fi in the room worked fine, as did the refrigerator/freezer and coffee pot.

I didn't mention my dissatisfaction with the room to the very polite lady at the front desk when I checked out because she has no ability to change these structural concerns that spoiled this trip and I had no desire to cause her unhappiness as she was genuinely courteous. If the rooms were as good as the staff, they'd have a decent hotel here, other than the lack of a walking-distance restaurant. I'll be trying a different hotel the next time I'm in the Olympia / Tumwater area, hopefully it will be an improvement.

Room Tip: If all rooms have similarly thin walls and a similarly tiny hot water heater in the bathroom, there...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Manager-RDO, Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am deeply sorry for the unpleasant experience you had while staying at our hotel. I will be using your experience as a training tool for my staff to ensure we are providing assistance and solutions to any problems that may arise in the future. We should have informed you at check in that our luggage carts are kept in the on-sight laundry, just off the lobby. The situation you described with the hot water is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. We are currently looking into the situation to assess the problem and have it repaired immediately. I thank you again for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at olt@extendedstay.com. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm visiting Olympia, WA this weekend for the Washington State Democratic Central Committee. I surfed the internet and found this awesome deal. I didn't imaging the people were going to be so helpful and friendly. I'm glad I made the right choice. From "Azziem The Dream"

• Stayed February 2013
Manager-RDO, Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I'm glad that you felt you made the right choice when selecting our hotel for your stay. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Walla Walla, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here 6 years ago and wasn't going to try again because of that bad experience. But, my other preferred location was full and I didn't want to drive a long distance from our conference. I looked online and the comments were now good -- so, we gave it a try. It was great. Rooms were clean, well appointed, bath was clean, they had everything we needed at the desk if it wasn't in the room. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I'll definitely stay again. I only give it a "Very Good" because the fruit was a little picked over at breakfast.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you were so happy with what we have done with the new renovation. Our goal is to make you feel at home while you are away from home and I am glad we achieved that! Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stay at the facility every week when in Olympia/Tumwater. I couldn't be happier! Prior to the remodel the facility was very nice but after the remodel is even better. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Prices are very good and the location is good for access to Olympia, Tumwater and the coast.

Something that I find interesting about this hotel is how friendly the staff is as well as the people staying there. I guess it is because a lot are longer stay people; they appreciate the value and are happy with the facility. Has Wi-Fi, laundry (which I have not used) and a mini breakfast bar. Rooms have full sized refrigerator, micro and cook top. I have no negatives.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Manager-RDO, Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review. It's great to hear that the staff is making you feel right at home when you stay. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Clean, renovated, and very helpful (full kitchen and laundry room). Pet policy fees are less expensive the longer you stay and the staff booked me on the floor I requested. Decided to stay even longer. Very nice hotel for an extended stay.

• Stayed January 2013
Manager-RDO, Manager at Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for your great review of the Extended Stay America Tumwater/Olympia. I'm glad that you can appreciate the value that we are creating by offering full kitchens and on site laundry facilities at our Extended Stay Hotels. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This is a great hotel! From the (online) reservation system, to the reception, to the staff, to the room, breakfast, .... the whole package. I was greeted warmly. My reservation was pre-prepared, and I was in the room in quick order. Clean room, neat and tidy. The grab-and-go breakfast is set up each morning before advertised. I've been here over a month now, and any problems that I've had have been dealt with in a quick, and professional manner. The maintenance items (light out, curtain rod piece fell off) have been dealt with promptly and efficiently. It's a pleasure to stay here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for giving us feedback that helps us improve out service. I'm thrilled that you like the new product and that you have been given excellent service during your stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one month and can't say enough how impressed I was with the service and professionalism. Quiet, great commodities, true value for its price. Representatives are very tentative to any request. Manager Ken was very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed December 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a glowing review of the Extended STay America- Olympia/ Tumwater. It's great to hear that we are exceeding your expectations when it comes the value of our product. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Been to Extended Stay America - Olympia - Tumwater? Share your experiences!