“Found a Pearl! (of a restaurant)” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Anacortes, Washington
“Found a Pearl! (of a restaurant)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Walked from the hotel for a Sushi lunch only to find an Oasis of Japanese culture so open and friendly to a new fella like me.
The Chef/Owner was very polite and accomodating as I sat down directly in front of him at the Sushi bar. Given his choice he offered me a delicate japanese makeral, wow very nice.
I will return ASAP...I must return!!! A small intimate setting with a well blended diversity of clientel.

Visited September 2013

Seattle
“Delicious Japanese Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Miyabi Sushi is one of the few good Japanese restaurants open on Sundays. Located south of the SouthCenter shopping mall, it's in the same strip mall as Value Village--just look for the Value Village sign. I haven't tried the sushi, but my husband says that it's better at Tsukushinbo. That said, the cooked Japanese food I've tried has been excellent. You can't do much better than the Seattle nabe, a hearty soup filled with goodies-fresh shrimp, oysters, fish cake, salmon, etc. The grilled kama (fish collars) are an excellent choice and good value--I've tried both salmon and black cod and thought they were both excellent--crispy skin, perfectly cooked fish. Service can be a bit spotty.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Yakima, Washington, USA
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was here on a Saturday night and they had an accordion player for entertainment! The restaurant was very busy, which made service a bit slow, but everyone was very friendly. They seemed a bit unorganized. We had the shrimp and and veggie tempura, the batter was light and not greasy at all! The sushi was outstanding. The gyoza was just okay.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Good and friendly service, reasonable pricing. I definitely will go back for more. Ample variety and god tasting dishes you don't find in other places. See, try, come back for more. A+

Visited February 2013
Kent, WA
“Accordion music at a Japanese restaurant?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'll have to admit that I've never been to a Japanese restaurant that had live accordion music. It somehow seemed strange (incongruent?) to have music that made it seem like one was in a French cafe while eating Japanese food. Maybe I'm just getting too old, but it seems to me that one should have Asian music when eating in a Japanese restaurant, or at least inconspicuous restaurant music... Anyway, the best part of our visit was the service which was first class; very attentive, prompt and friendly. My wife and I both had the customizable Bento boxes. The price for a Bento box varies slightly depending on what sushi accompanies the Bento box. I had the Sushi Bento selection, which was nigiri sushi ($22.95 for this selection), and I thought that was the best part of the meal, as the sushi rice was just right and the seafood toppings were very fresh and flavorful. The tempura was also very good (crispy), but the tempura sauce lacked flavor. I also had the saba shioyaki (broiled mackerel), but it also lacked that distinctive sweet flavor of good mackerel, even though it appeared to be cooked well. My wife had the California Bento, where the sushi was all California Roll ($18.95), but it also lacked flavor (she commented that the California Roll from Maruta Shoten (Japanese grocery store) was better). Her bento box had the Beef Yakiniku, which was tasty. The Bento boxes also came with Miso Soup (good), a spaghetti/green salad (a little different, but too much sesame seed oil for my tastes, although my wife thought it was ok) and some Japanese pickles. We didn't have reservations for a Saturday evening, but were able to get seated right away at the sushi bar, which was ok because we could then see all the various types of sushi and sushi rolls they were making, many of which were quite artistic. There are tables, but there is also a long picnic-type of table running down the middle of the dining area for sort of communal dining, which was different. You'll also have to check out the restrooms, as the toilet seats are these fancy kind that heat up and have a variety of functions, something I've not seen before in a public restaurant. The counter in the restroom was very nice wood that matched the wood at the sushi bar, but the backsplash was a mix of colored tiles and it just didn't seem to match an Asian decor. If we go again, I think I would just do a la carte nigiri sushi (about $4 to $6 an order, with 2 pieces in each order) and the prawn tempura. Oh, if you go on your birthday, you get a complimentary desert, which was tempura ice cream, which to me just didn't sound right. On a Saturday evening, parking was tight and we had to park quite a ways away. All in all, we enjoyed our dinner, but it was definitely kind of weird with the accordion music; that and several other things made it different than one would expect at a Japanese restaurant. It might be worth a call ahead of time to see what kind of music they are hosting so you can decide if you want to go there that evening. Miyabi seems to do a good business, so maybe it is just me.

• Visited February 2013