“Fun, Relaxed RV Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sonora Point RV Resort

Sonora Point RV Resort
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tonasket
Sonora Point RV Resort
You added Sonora Point RV Resort to your Saves list
761 Loomis Oroville Hwy, Tonasket, WA 98855   |
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
“Fun, Relaxed RV Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My family and I were looking for an out of the way lakeside campground where we could relax by the lake and just take it in. We found Sonora Point Resort online and thought this would be fun, so we booked it. Upon arrival, I thought, this looks like an average campground with average sights, to really nice lakeside sights. We quickly realized that the people is what makes the experience. Check in was fast and the female office worker was courteous and pleasant. The groundskeeper even came over to our site to help me park my 33 foot TT. This place is growing on me fast. There is a small beach which is ideal for younger kids and those adults that want to just float around on tubes. There is a swimming platform not to far off the beach so one could still supervise the kids from the beach and be fairly close in case of an emergency. The swimming area is roped off so no worry about boats encroaching on the area. We stayed in a sight which turned out to be next door to one of the co-owners of the campground. He and his wife were so nice to us. Our kids and his kids would play in the field, we would have campfires in the evening and they even took our family tubing on the lake. Thanks to Kurt and his wife for showing us some grade a hospitality. The whole campground was very relaxed and the people were great. There were lots of kids at the beach and my kids quickly made friends. Overall, my first impression was, what am I going to do for a week. After the week was up, I just wanted to stay another week. I would recommend this campsite to those who have children and are wanting a nice relaxed getaway without the crowds. I do warn you the internet is soooo slow, and there is no TV antenna signal that I could pick up or cable hookup.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My family and I were looking for an out of the way lakeside campground where we could relax by the lake and just take it in. We found the Spectacle Lake Resort online and thought this would be fun, so we booked it. Upon arrival, I thought, this looks like an average campground with average sights, to really nice lakeside sights. We quickly realized that the people is what makes the experience. Check in was fast and the female office worker was courteous and pleasant. The groundskeeper even came over to our site to help me park my 33 foot TT. This place is growing on me fast. There is a small beach which is ideal for younger kids and those adults that want to just float around on tubes. There is a swimming platform not to far off the beach so one could still supervise the kids from the beach and be fairly close in case of an emergency. The swimming area is roped off so no worry about boats encroaching on the area. We stayed in a sight which turned out to be next door to one of the co-owners of the campground. He and his wife were so nice to us. Our kids and his kids would play in the field, we would have campfires in the evening and they even took our family tubing on the lake. Thanks to Kurt and his wife for showing us some grade a hospitality. The whole campground was very relaxed and the people were great. There were lots of kids at the beach and my kids quickly made friends. Overall, my first impression was, what am I going to do for a week. After the week was up, I just wanted to stay another week. I would recommend this campsite to those who have children and are wanting a nice relaxed getaway without the crowds. I do warn you the internet is soooo slow, and there is no TV antenna signal that I could pick up or cable hookup.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We came and looked at the place before we decided to book here (as I've been mislead before) it looked beautiful... Mid July. We booked for the month of August, when we got here on the long weekend it was perfect! Went home for a week to work, came back only to find that the place was a ghost town! 4 other campers! While its nice to not be overcrowded, there was nobody for my son to play with.. And no playground within 10 miles. I was also not told that the lake level drops 2" per day.. So the gravel beach is getting bigger, and the water is getting worse! All the milfoil is now almost at shore, drops off quickly.. not a great place for a family with a small child learning to swim. The management is okay.. When they are here.. 5 people checked in yesterday, and we are told its booked for the long weekend.. We shall see I guess. We have spent our time touring the area (and scouting out future destinations) found a couple awesome places I'd like to stay next year.. as state parks have full hook ups here! The best part about this place is the proximity to the border, giving us the ability to come and go for work.. I don't think I will book here again!!

• Stayed August 2013
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Please be advised the website for this "resort" is very misleading. It is an artist rendition of what it may look like in several years - not its current state. We had booked a full 2 weeks and only ended up staying 1, trying to make the most of it.

We arrived late afternoon on a Saturday and soon realized that our site, site 42, should not really be a site. The group beside us had helped themselves to part of our site therefore we had to move over a bit, which landed us on the road for the next 2 days waiting for them to leave. There was alot of confusion as to who the contact was because they were going through a staffing transition - which should not affect the campers in my view.

After waiting until Monday to move back into the allocated site (which again shouldn't be a site) we needed to be creative to get the services (which are at the very back of the site behind a tree)so we could hook up to power. This site has no shade and no reprieve from the heat of the day - AC is critical.

During the booking process we inquired about a boat slip and were advised they were first come first serve but it wouldn't be an issue - upon arrival we found there was a waiting list for people to put boats in the slips - not expected. However, because of the hassle over the site and being on the road they made an exception for us and allowed us to launch the boat without going on the list. The lake is very very small for power boating and has weeds throughout and the beach is more pebbles and gravel than sand.

Free WiFi is misleading - there is intermittent WiFi for one device per site, so be careful which device you put a password on. The password is only good for 7 days than you have to go and beg for another one.

Overall we tried to make the best of it however by Thursday (taking a road trip every day) we decided to continue on our way to something else. The website mentions desert quadding (couldn't find it); several golf courses (never seen 1) as well as other activities. Tried taking the bicycles out for a ride however the road is very busy with larger vehicles and no real shoulder - a bit scary.

We ran into lots of people that go every year and really enjoy it - our shock was it is nothing like the website, our stay did not accurately reflect the conversations that took place prior to arrival and we feel we were misled.

May be worth looking at in a few years when the website and the actual park are the same - but wouldn't recommend it now.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Tonasket hotels

Newport, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

First, if you are planning on traveling and staying at Sonora Resort, please be advised that the pictures shown on their website are FALSE. The pictures and amenities shown on their website are a future rendering on what the management HOPES to obtain in the next few years. The current grounds are open and sparce with water and electric hook-ups. There's a general bathroom and shower facilities (similar to park facilities) that are located on the central grounds. If you are planning on bringing a boat you will have to park your boat trailer off the resort property and across the street, which is virtually impossible to do in the dark. There's a gravel boat launch near the managers office, and as I mentioned earlier there is no resemblance to the "rendering" of this RV park to it's actual condition.
My true complaint is with the attitude of the management there. We arrived on Saturday with the intent of staying for the week but left on Monday night because of a dispute with management. The issue was over something minor but it was the way the manager acted that compelled us to leave early. On Monday afternoon a group of us decided to go fishing on the Columbia. The total drive time was three hours but unfortunately we got caught in a forest fire that detoured us another 3 hours from getting back. Now, when we arrived it was well around 10:30p and we were exhausted.
We pulled in with the boat still attached and then pulled over to our spot in the corner to strategize whether to dock the boat or get flashlights and park it across the street. Now, one of our group members is diabetic so we planned to get a quick bite in first then move the boat. Before we could even get out of the truck the female manager came out and came across very hostile and arrogant.
When we told her we briefly needed to park and since the RV park was only 30% full we thought it would be no big deal. She said "that we couldn't park even briefly -no matter what." Also that "the rules are the rules and if we parked (even briefly) she was going to charge us another parking area." she was rude but it was the hostile and arrogant delivery in her tone that made us decide to leave right then. We had already paid a deposit and told management that we were leaving. We had a credit card on file to have our stay paid for. The real slap in the face was we were charged for stay, plus two extra days with a hotel tax! LOL. It was an absolute joke! When we called about the hotel tax to the local government. The assistant said " it's up to the resort whether to charge the tax or not" but since this RV park has classified itself as a "resort", they were able to sneak in the tax. I don't recommend this park because of poor management and false expectations.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Langley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were at Sonora Point about a month ago with another family. The kids loved the fishing, us moms loved the beach. On that particular weekend the manager had organized a potluck dinner with a live band, which we all enjoyed. I will agree that their website is misleading, the home page should show how the resort is set-up now- not how they plan on developing in the future.
BUT we will continue to go back any chance we get!!

Kelowna, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed there twice this summer and loved it. It is a great quiet place (we slept very well), beautiful, with a warm lake, not very far from Oroville. The people on the campground were very nice and Andrea is a fantastic host. I will go back there again for sure with my two boys (9 and 11 y.o.) and will take the fishing lines!

Room Tip: The room was my tent trailer and the swimming was the lake!