“Perfect for Special Occasions” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Gaucho Tacoma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 668 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between S 21st & S 23rd Streets
Description: For years, discriminating diners have trusted the establishments of Paul Mackay to turn landmark occasions into lasting memories. At El Gaucho Tacoma, you and your guest will be treated to the ultimate dining experience, including the attentive tableside service that is the Mackay hallmark. Step back in time to an era of uncompromising service and total indulgence, where the smallest of details are considered the most basic ingredients of your visit. We set the stage for an extraordinary event that will exceed your every expectation.
Bonney Lake
“Perfect for Special Occasions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We had our valentines day one day early and made reservations a couple of weeks in advance. I love the ambiance, It was dark but I felt that was just part of the experience. I loved the little flashlights they give to see the menu. I did need to use one to see when I was trying to cut my food. It's hard to eat lamb if you can't tell the difference between meat and bone. We had an ostrich appetizer with madeira mushroom sauce it was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. I had hazelnut encrusted lamb for dinner again cooked perfectly. Crab mashed potato's and roasted corn with honey chipotle butter. Sides have to be purchased separately and are large enough to share. I thought we could have easily shared them with 4 people. The food was incredible, very over priced. You could get away with $100 but that's not realistic. We spent over $200 but we got appetizer, two meals, two sides and dessert. The dessert was fun because they make it for you tableside. We got banana's foster. They made it with banana liquor which I thought took away from the other flavors, and there was a little too much lemon juice. They also bring you a tray full of fruits (apples, grapes, dates) and nuts and a very blue cheese. Over all I loved it and would recommend it but do expect to spend a lot and if you want to go for a holiday book VERY far in advance.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at El Gaucho Tacoma, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hi Moon dancer!

Thank you for your feedback for your recent visit to El Gaucho Tacoma. We strive to deliver world-class food and service each night for every guest, and we're glad that you enjoyed the food, ambiance, and service with your visit. We revel in celebrating lives and special occasions, and we thank you for choosing us as the place to celebrate a special occasion like Valentine's Day. We hope to see you again soon the next time a celebration calls for a special night out.

Cheers!

Bonney Lake, Washington
“Worst New Years experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We made reservation months prior to New Years for 8 people. We took a Limo to the restaurant and we had the limo for 4 hours. We figured that was plenty of time to eat and travel around the waterfront of Tacoma. We were wrong. We arrived early at El Gaucho and they were not ready. We understood and stated we would wait for a table. After trying to sit us and what I would call a card table and the piano, we finally were able to get service 3 1/2 hours after we arrived. The service was horrible and although we spent over $300.00 per person, we have never had this bad of an experience. We were extremely disappointed. The food was great, at least I believe it was because we were starved by the time we finally got drinks and food. We complained several times and they gave us a couple bottles of wine. Too little too late!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Can't imagine anything better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I am very surprised at diners having an unsatisfactory experience within a week of my visit. I was there on the evening of December 23, with two friends, one of whom had been on the wait staff of a different unrelated Tacoma restaurant. All three of us had a great meal, and a great time. We were not pushed out the door in an attempt to "free up" our table. We were there slightly more than two hours.

I can speak only for what I had. My steak was perfectly cooked (I mean perfectly), and the peppercorn/wine sauce served on the side was a perfect complement--at one point, I wished I had more steak to go with the excess sauce.

I'd had the braised oysters as an appetizer--a definite rival for any oyster appetizer I've had in my hometown, New Orleans.

For dessert, we had Cherries Jubilee, prepared table-side. The best I've ever had.

After the main course but before dessert, we were given a cheese and fruit basket, with bleu cheese (which I avoid but my companions enjoyed it), plus huge seedless red grapes, pears, apples, etc.

For the three of us, with only about three glasses of wine, the total bill was about $320. IMHO, a bargain for the terrific meal we had. Now, after the Christmas season, I look back on the dinner at El Gaucho as my happiest memory. I wish I lived in Tacoma. I can't wait until I visit my friends again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Seattle, Washington
“Happy hour consistently awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is one of my favorite happy hour destinations. The atmosphere is absolutely perfect, piano bar, waiters in suits and amazing lighting. The happy hour food is consistently fabulous, I have had the tenderloin diablo, tender meat in a spicy sauce with great toasted bread for soaking up the delicious sauce, the burger is perfection, wicked shimp are cooked perfectly and the duck fat fries are the perfect indulgence. Parking is abundant along the side of the building and close by. One of the best happy hrs in Tacoma by far.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Gaucho S, Public Relations Manager at El Gaucho Tacoma, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hi Tracy,

Thank you for your feedback and 5-star review! We appreciate hearing from our guests, and especially love that you have enjoyed a true El Gaucho Tacoma experience consistently, time and again. Thank you for pointing out your favorite Happy Hour items - we've recently added new items to the menu and would love for you to try them.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. Cheers!
“Lackluster”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

My husband and I have been to El Gaucho a few times. Unfortunately, our last experience wasn't that great. The food was lackluster and our waiter seemed distracted. My lobster was overlooked and my husband's steak lacked seasoning. Even the tea I ordered was watery and bitter. A bit disappointing for a $300 meal... My in-laws got us a gift certificate for Christmas. Hopefully when we go again our experience will be improved.

• Visited June 2013