“Don't expect them to honor out dated gift cards!” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
El Gaucho Tacoma is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 596 Restaurants in Tacoma
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between S 21st & S 23rd Streets
Description: For years, discriminating diners have trusted the establishments of Paul Mackay to turn landmark occasions into lasting memories. At El Gaucho Tacoma, you and your guest will be treated to the ultimate dining experience, including the attentive tableside service that is the Mackay hallmark. Step back in time to an era of uncompromising service and total indulgence, where the smallest of details are considered the most basic ingredients of your visit. We set the stage for an extraordinary event that will exceed your every expectation.
Lakebay, Washington
“Don't expect them to honor out dated gift cards!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Was suprised when we were told that we could not use a gift card we received at an auction but was out of date. I would expect them to honor some kind of discount.
Will not go back again, because of the customer service we received when we were told that they would not honor the card.
I wrote a letter but did not hear back from them.
Poor customer service.
We have been telling our friends of the poor response we revived!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Milwaukie, Oregon
“Great food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Fine service, very good selection and preparation of salmon and steak. Also had excellent dessert, highly recommended.

Visited May 2013
Corona, California
“Met all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I had had a great experience at El Gaucho in Seattle on a business trip 6 years so was very excited to be able to take my family to El Gaucho in Tacoma for my daughter's graduation from college and El Gaucho in Tacoma did not disappoint. Food was outstanding, the spectacle of the serving of their signature flaming beef skewers was great and the service was impeccable. A couple of members of our party are lighter eaters so they asked to split one of the generous entrees and the staff was happy to oblige. Particularly unique and terrrific were the shrimp appetizers ("wicked" shrimp with a very spicy sauce; panchetta shrimp with a great pesto sauce).
Yes, this restaurant is a bit pricey but the great food and attention to detail of the staff make it an experience one would love to repeat whenever possible.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tacoma, Washington
“Without a doubt, the best meal I have ever eaten!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My fiance and I ate here several weeks ago, and although we both live in the area, eat out quite frequently, and had been intending to go to El Gaucho for some time, it was our first visit. But let me just say: it shan't be our last!

We arrived early for our reservations, so we sat at the bar for a champagne aperitif. We had barely taken our first sips before we were seated--I'd say that pretty much upon walking in the door, to thanking the valet, the service we received was superb. These men and women are artists. Truly professional.

And the food. Oh, the food! It was glorious. My fiance went with an Australian Lobster Tail and our server's suggestion, her personal favorite: the dry-aged Rib Chop. He was kind enough to share a couple of bites with me--I say that because, if it had been mine, I would have wanted to greedily gobble it up--and it was legitimately the best steak/chop I've ever tasted! I, on the other hand, had the Baseball-Cut Sirloin served with lobster medallions "El Gaucho style," and although that too was amazing, his was better. We also enjoyed the Escargot, a wonderful dessert (per the server's recommendation as well), and the complimentary fruit and cheese plate was also a nice finishing touch to the meal.

Overall, if I can leave one tip for you, it is: TRUST YOUR SERVER! They really are professionals. El Gaucho is a true gastronomic experience, worth every pretty penny! I have heard, however, that they have a really great happy hour. I definitely intend to go back soon. Finishing on a side not, I too am pleased that they hired the former Nordstrom pianist. His playing is such a treat!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
El Gaucho S, Guest Relations Manager at El Gaucho Tacoma, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Hi Shannon,

Thank you so much for your review! We strive to deliver world-class service and exceptional food to our guests, and we are thrilled that you received one of the best meals ever with us. Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed a true El Gaucho Tacoma dining experience. We will pass along your kudos to the staff.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at one of our El Gaucho locations or at our seafood restaurant, AQUA by El Gaucho.

Cheers!
Enumclaw, Washington, United States
“Always above and beyond!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We have visited the Tacoma location several time of the years and the food and service always exceed expectations. They have yet to let us down!

• Visited March 2013