“Lousy Service, Great Food” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Over the Moon Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 668 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th between St. Helens and Broadway
Transit: Bus stops are located 1/2 block above on St. Helens and one block below on Broadway.
Seattle, Washington
“Lousy Service, Great Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Had Open Table reservations and went in. They were busy. There were a couple empty two tops on the main floor. After a 10 minute wait, watching them fill the upper floor with other people coming in after me, the seat my party in the corner next to the kitchen. Ok, so tried it a second time. Went in with no reservations, upper floor was empty except for one table. We did not have reservations. They then sat us on the looker floor next to the kitchen. The entire time we were there, four tables were empty the entire time. Dinner, wine and tip was $100. Great food. But not interested dining there anymore.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Deanna B, Owner at Over the Moon Cafe, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am so sorry about your experience at Over The Moon Cafe. The downstairs section of the restaurant is closest to the kitchen, and we are a small place so not all of our tables are as fabulous as we would like. I totally understand that.

Also, wIthout knowing the dates you dined, its hard to give an explanation as to why you may have been seated below. Please know that we do take special requests for table preference all of the time as we understand that people have specific preferences, and we do our best to accommodate.

We keep 2 hour allotment times for all of our reservations and won't typically seat anyone at a table that has been reserved. Say a 7:30 reservation is made, we won't seat someone at that table after 5:30 to ensure that the 7:30 reservation gets "their" table in a timely fashion. As such, that table can sit "empty" for up to 2 hours. Its the nature of our restaurant. That would be the only explanation that I can foresee happening, and it may appear that the tables are empty, but they oftentimes have been pre-reserved. We also try to assign tables on a "first come/first serve" basis as we are so limited in our seating. Again, my sincere apologies and I only wanted to perhaps shed some light on how we try to seat our tables.

My best to you.

Deanna
Owner & Chef
Over The Moon Cafe

seattle
“unique and wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is Tacoma's best restaurant. Unique delightful décor, excellent food and a staff that
goes out of their way to please customers.

• Visited February 2013
University Place, Washington, United States
“Macaroni & Cheese with Butternut Squash!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

......this place has got to be one of the best hidden secrets in Tacoma!!! The atmosphere is quaint, comfortable & classy... Four of us girlfriends went there tonight.... JUST FOR THE MACARONI & CHEESE WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH!!! I have gone to the Over the Moon Cafe several other times when they didn't have it :(( but I tried several other meals that were delicious as well...there salads are great, the crab bisque tonight was ahhhhhmazzzing!! all that I can say is go there and try it... you are guaranteed to love it!!!

• Visited March 2013
Federal Way, Washington
“Charming, Quirky and Wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My mom and I stopped here for a quick bite, we found this little quirky hole in the wall quite by accident. We each ordered an item and shared it so we could try both.

I got the Monte Cristo sandwich which was very good but nothing like a Monte Cristo. Their sandwich is not fried, it's sauteed.The potato salad served alongside the sandwich was quite good.

My mom chose the Seasonal Macaroni and Cheese with portobello mushrooms, artichoke hearts, tomato, garlic and lots of fabulous creamy sauce. It was delicious.

This would be a great place for a date... it seems sort of private. While it is a small place the curtains between the two sections make it feel more intimate.
Everything is mis-matched, my mom sat in a comfy wing back chair, and I took a cute little vintage looking dining chair. Can you saw CHARMING.

I have since heard they get busy for dinner so call ahead. I guess this little place is family owned and has been in business since 2001. Why on earth had I never heard of them? The little gal was very friendly, service was quick and the food was very good. I'll be back to try them out for dinner.

There is street parking available (you can pay at the meter - $1.50 for 2 hours I believe)

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tacoma, Washington
“A gem in the rough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stopped in here per the recommendation of a friend, and was not disappointed. The food was delicious! It's a quirky place: off the beaten path, and not very big, but very nice and quaint. I was surprised to see linens, preconceiving that it would be more of a "cafe" than a bistro, as it was. The service was good, and the prices weren't too shabby either. I came with my fiance and my (very well-behaved) five year old daughter, but when we go back we'll probably leave her with a sitter as they don't have a children's menu (albeit her "macaroni and cheese" was the best I've ever tried...if they must shame it by calling it that). Overall, I must agree with other reviewers: the Blue Moon Cafe is a true hidden gem in Tacoma.

• Visited December 2012