“Terrific Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
San Francisco, California
“Terrific Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I just stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express in Downtown Tacoma that has only been open a few days, while taking care of some business at the Port. Upon check in, I was made aware that the elevator was temporarily out of service, but the folks at the desk immediately offered many different ways of overcoming this slight inconvenience. Parking is available on the second or third floor so the trip to my room only lasted for two flights of stairs. The room was spacious, from the large desk area, large windows (Mt Rainier was out in all its glory), king size bed, and finely stocked bathroom. The room was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable, I needed a good night’s sleep and that is what I got. The next morning after my date with the fitness center, I went down to the Breakfast room, which is very large, roomy, and pleasant. The Breakfast offered healthy options along with the eggs and those wonderful cinnamon rolls. What I liked best about this Holiday Inn Express is that I felt safe, the property was exceptionally clean, and I felt sincerely welcomed from the minute I walked in until I checked out.

Great Location and I will be back.

Room Tip: My east side room had a fantastic view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Rydercup F,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive experience with us and with the traveling public. We are so happy to be here in Downtown Tacoma!

I am very glad to hear you felt welcome, safe and comfortable and that your guestroom and breakfast were to your liking. Those warm cinnamon rolls are definitely a favorite with our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Tacoma.

With hospitality,
Vickie Molzer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Springfield, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was an interesting experience. I have stayed at HIE chain hotels numerous times. It is usually a good bet that the prices will be reasonable, the rooms comfy, and the breakfast...free. This morning I decided to head up to Tacoma and found the HIE Downtown Tacoma on the HIE website. I booked the least expensive rate I could find (they say that the best price you will find is on their website, if you find a cheaper price elsewhere they will comp you). The best price I received was $122.00 AAA rate. I got to the hotel and found out that they just opened their doors yesterday at noon and they were very happy I chose this location. Initial appearances were impressive. The hotel is really nice, everything is new, it is a high rise downtown near lots of really interesting places. However, while they were checking me in and chatting about the "new" hotel, they informed me that with the hotel just opening yesterday that the elevator wasn't working yet. They did want me to know that they were willing to help with my bags since the only rooms were on the 4th floor! Then told me that it was only one flight of stairs as the parking garage top floor is the 3rd floor. I decided to stay. The room is nice, tastefully appointed and spacious. I asked for a king bed. There are only showers in the king bed rooms. (I don't know if this is just for now for this floor or throughout) I heard there were suits with jacuzzi tubs, but I wasn't offered one when I called to ask about getting a tub. The kind ladies who work here though did offer to move me to a double bed room which dose have a tub. After going out to dinner, I returned to my room to relax. Low and behold! I could hear people going to the ice machine, one after another. It sounded like they were in my room, I could even hear them talking! The air conditioning wasn't cooling the room off either but the ice machine was a more pressing issue. I called the front desk and they moved me right away to another room around the corner. While the a/c is working in the new room, and I can't hear the ice machine, I have to say that the sheets are rough!

The bed is comfortable, a little stiff for a pillow top mattress, but it is brand new! The rooms are spotless! There is no smell of paint, just a bright clean feeling to the whole place.

Would I stay again? I'm not sure, it would depend on if they provided a really good price. I'd make sure to ask for a room away from the elevators and vending/ice machine area, I'd probably bring my own sheets along with me. Kudo's to the staff, they were friendly and quite accommodating during this difficult soft opening. Let's hope breakfast is good.

Room Tip: There are no "views" that I can tell - ask for a room away from elevators, ice/vending mac...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
SeaTacHIExpress, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear AttorneyEsquire,

Thank you so much for staying with us as one of our very first guests and also for your review.

I apologize profusely for the inconvenience you experienced with our temporary lack of elevator service.

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our spotless new rooms and our friendly staff. I hope you had an opportunity to enjoy some of our additional features such as our pool, fitness center or business center during your stay as well. Our complimentary breakfast each morning is sure to please with a variety of options for every taste.

We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Tacoma!

Best regards,
Vickie Molzer

Been to Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown? Share your experiences!