“Memory Maker” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Portland, Oregon
“Memory Maker”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Found and chose this place because we are looking for place to stay that near the water. This is a great place to stay, beautiful room. I know when I was reading the reviews myself, the train noise bothered me but went ahead and made the reservation. Keep your windows closed and the noised isn't so bad. In fact, now, almost a year later, the sound of the train reminds me of our stay in Tacome, great memory I will always cherish.

Room Tip: Rooms with the jacuzzi is an excellent choice but a little bit more $ but worth it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Ventura, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice room 318 looking out on the water....lots of room for 2 adults and teenager...check in and parking were easy....beds were great and property was quiet. Did not have breakfast but looked inviting. Recommend this hotel and the restaurants nearby. Never stayed in Tacoma but it was close to Universty of Puget Sound where my son is considering going so I think this is a very nice choice.

Room Tip: 3rd floor was nice....Room 318 had a nice view
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Wyoming
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My son goes to college in Tacoma and I've visited the city lots of times over the past 3 years. This was my first stay at Silver Cloud and my daughter and I shared a nice room over the water. Fortunately the weather was lovely all weekend and we took advantage of the walking path along Ruston Way which is very nice. The walls are a tad thin--we were unfortunately privy to some late night acrobatics in the room next door, and the mattress was a bit tough for my middle-aged bones…a pillow-top would have helped. The view from the room was lovely, and it was fun to watch the seagulls in the morning with a cup of in-room coffee. My major complaint is that the parking under the building is extremely tight due to huge cement pillars. I was driving a compact car and once I parked, there was no room to load passengers or unload bags. Much too tight and what ends up happening is people take up 2 spots, so if you're out late there won't be parking available. The train runs by pretty frequently but it didn't bother us too much. We didn't take advantage of the breakfast…it looked like the usual fare of fruit, toast, scrambled eggs, etc. Tacoma is a funky fun place and Silver Cloud is a sweet hotel. I like the location. Not sure if we're going to be staying again.

Room Tip: ask for a room over the water…might be a little farther from the train tracks (although it's a l...
Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

There are not enough words of praise I can say about your hotel, but mainly-- it's staff!! I spoke mostly with Kim, Amy and Krystal and they are the ones that really made this surprise-birthday weekend for my boyfriend special! They were so helpful, kind, put up with my millions of questions, and went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of. More importantly, everyone I encountered at the Silver Cloud was exceptionally genuine and I felt they really cared about me and my experience. The rooms were immaculate, the view beautiful, the bed comfortable-- we've officially made the SilverCloud Inn our go-to for future weekend escapes! Thank you!

Room Tip: Make sure you spring for the rooms at the end of the pier for the best view
Lethbridge Ab
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

What a neat place to stay, we were treated very very well by the staff. The view is just stunning, awesome walking path. There is a train track nearby but never interfered with our rest. Close to great resturants.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean view!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Booked upper "quiet" room on 3rd floor middle. Nice large comfy king bed, flat screen TV, big bathroom w/tub-shower combo. Pretty view of harbor with windows that actually opened for a refreshing fragrance. Elect not to keep window open while you sleep, tho, as there are somewhat muffled-type "speakers" at a train crossing about a block away. (In otherwords, the horn ON the train is not used for alerting vehicles, but a set of speakers mounted at the crossing.) The train traffic runs all night and the train itself is at a higher rate of speed. With that said, with the windows shut tight, you don't hear it once you're asleep. I did not need my ear plugs, yay!

The road along the hotel was relatively quiet on a Saturday night, which was surprising. Doesn't appear to be a main artery.

Could hear lots of talking & laughter from room next door as they appeared to be entertaining visitors but that quieted down around 9pm. Was nice NOT to hear the usual hotel noises (doors shutting, ice machines, elevators) as I was exhausted.

Do-It-Yourself Breakfast wasn't too bad. Typical "plastic" scrambled eggs (not overly salty, a plus in my book), pre-cooked sausage, 2 waffle irons, 2 diff kinds of yogurt, variety of fresh RIPE fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), real butter (yay!) as well as margarine, pastries, wheat bread for toast, hot & cold cereals, milk/coffee/tea/OJ. Was missing hot chocolate. (oh well, can't have everything, right?)

The breakfast room has tables set by large ceiling-to-floor windows so try to grab one of those.... unless you are the type to sit with your laptop or phone...please let us who enjoy the view have it. The view out those windows is wonderful!

Walking by myself in the early morning along the bike/walking path was very pleasant. I felt safe and was not concerned for my safety as perhaps other areas of Tacoma. There is a small sandy beach near the hotel if you are traveling with kids. The water there looked relatively calm, albeit very cold.

There is a non-descript fish-n-chips shack close enough to walk to along the walking path. I did not get a chance to try it.

Staff at front desk were exceptionally friendly and polite. That was a refreshing change for me. The off-season rates for this hotel were GREAT. However, high season (May-Sep) the price is astronomical. Would I stay again? Only at an off-season price. To me, the high-season price is NOT quite worth this hotel. That is not a ding to the hotel, just a personal opinion from having stayed in pricey 5star hotels.

Room Tip: Upper middle rooms are quieter. Hotel puts up those exuberant travelers in groups (ie, sporting grou...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Lake Stevens, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

the bed was comfortable and the view was nice. It was as advertised. i was somewhat disappointed that the "fireplace" was not a fire at all. I'm not sure if it's just lights behind a fake fire looking design. We kept it on all night for a night light but it really didn't add the ambiance I had hoped for. We would definitely stay again. I just wouldn't splurge for the end room. A side room will still have a view.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma? Share your experiences!