“Above Average Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Above Average Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Booked upper "quiet" room on 3rd floor middle. Nice large comfy king bed, flat screen TV, big bathroom w/tub-shower combo. Pretty view of harbor with windows that actually opened for a refreshing fragrance. Elect not to keep window open while you sleep, tho, as there are somewhat muffled-type "speakers" at a train crossing about a block away. (In otherwords, the horn ON the train is not used for alerting vehicles, but a set of speakers mounted at the crossing.) The train traffic runs all night and the train itself is at a higher rate of speed. With that said, with the windows shut tight, you don't hear it once you're asleep. I did not need my ear plugs, yay!

The road along the hotel was relatively quiet on a Saturday night, which was surprising. Doesn't appear to be a main artery.

Could hear lots of talking & laughter from room next door as they appeared to be entertaining visitors but that quieted down around 9pm. Was nice NOT to hear the usual hotel noises (doors shutting, ice machines, elevators) as I was exhausted.

Do-It-Yourself Breakfast wasn't too bad. Typical "plastic" scrambled eggs (not overly salty, a plus in my book), pre-cooked sausage, 2 waffle irons, 2 diff kinds of yogurt, variety of fresh RIPE fruit (apples, oranges, bananas), real butter (yay!) as well as margarine, pastries, wheat bread for toast, hot & cold cereals, milk/coffee/tea/OJ. Was missing hot chocolate. (oh well, can't have everything, right?)

The breakfast room has tables set by large ceiling-to-floor windows so try to grab one of those.... unless you are the type to sit with your laptop or phone...please let us who enjoy the view have it. The view out those windows is wonderful!

Walking by myself in the early morning along the bike/walking path was very pleasant. I felt safe and was not concerned for my safety as perhaps other areas of Tacoma. There is a small sandy beach near the hotel if you are traveling with kids. The water there looked relatively calm, albeit very cold.

There is a non-descript fish-n-chips shack close enough to walk to along the walking path. I did not get a chance to try it.

Staff at front desk were exceptionally friendly and polite. That was a refreshing change for me. The off-season rates for this hotel were GREAT. However, high season (May-Sep) the price is astronomical. Would I stay again? Only at an off-season price. To me, the high-season price is NOT quite worth this hotel. That is not a ding to the hotel, just a personal opinion from having stayed in pricey 5star hotels.

Room Tip: Upper middle rooms are quieter. Hotel puts up those exuberant travelers in groups (ie, sporting grou...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Lake Stevens, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

the bed was comfortable and the view was nice. It was as advertised. i was somewhat disappointed that the "fireplace" was not a fire at all. I'm not sure if it's just lights behind a fake fire looking design. We kept it on all night for a night light but it really didn't add the ambiance I had hoped for. We would definitely stay again. I just wouldn't splurge for the end room. A side room will still have a view.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Southern Oregon Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Perfect location, splendid view. Everything was great about this hotel. We loved walking on the waterfront and had excellent fish and chips. Very helpful staff - we needed good directions because of the construction on the roads. The only less-than-perfect part was the average breakfast with not great coffee. Wonderful room.

Room Tip: Be sure to get good directions to the hotel. There's construction from I 5.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mill Creek, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Here for my son's wrestling tournament and this was the first time I'd ever stayed in Tacoma, so I had absolutely no idea what to expect. I did read the reviews before choosing this hotel and although most were positive, I appreciated very much that the hotel manager replies to every negative review. I understand that not every person's experience can be perfect...but mine was! I would definitely stay here again, even just for a fun relaxing weekend away only an hour from my house!

From start to finish, the experience was pleasant. The booking staff were professional and kind. The check-in was friendly, quick, and informative. The room was clean with a nice view and comfortable arrangement. The shower/water pressure was great. The breakfast was nice, and the coffee was good. We thoroughly appreciated the complimentary shuttle service back and forth from the tournament. We even got a chance to visit the Glass Museum. The room service from the Ram restaurant was also a nice treat after a long day at the Tacoma Dome!

We felt like we were staying on the Oregon Coast somewhere, that's how relaxing and quiet we found the entire neighborhood to be. We loved the waterfront walkways, docks, and bridges. The nearby train did not bother us at all and was just something else to enjoy. My 3 year old loved watching the train go by from our room, while his grandmother and I enjoyed the water view. It is also interesting to note that even though I know the hotel was full of teenagers in town for the weekend tournament...we did not hear a peep all night!

Little bonuses:
Morning newspaper at your door
Complimentary coffee/tea service 24 hours a day with mugs as well as to-go cups (and it's decent coffee with real half & half provided!)
Scenic walkways and water views from every angle
Shuttle service with handsome and friendly driver (park your car once and take advantage of that!)

Room Tip: Based on other reviews, I requested a top floor room but none were available. We stayed on the 2nd f...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn - Tacoma Waterfront, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Michelle N.,

Thank you so much for sharing your recent experience with us. I am very happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay! We work very hard to ensure our guests feel that they made the right decision to stay with us.

We always appreciate guest feedback, both positive and negative. The negative highlights areas we need to work on and positive validates our efforts. Without comments and reviews we are operating on our own observations and perceptions which may not always match our guests. Obviously, it’s the guest’s perception that really matters.

Thank you again for sharing your story. If there are any additional details of your stay that you would like to share please contact me at the hotel any time. I’d be happy to chat with you.

Dan O’Leary
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

There is a lot to like about this waterfront hotel. I only experienced the great hotel desk staff and clean guest rooms, the rest was not offered to me or did not impress. I was staying at this hotel at the recommendation of other travelers from my company who prefer this hotel over nationwide chains. I would have to say this place was only adequate in comparison to average hotels across the country based on how my peers in my company were treated. I had a room that was only over the water during high tide and had no fireplace much less a jacuzzi tub. Given that i live in a landlocked state and work for a company that provides a lot of business to this hotel, and all of my peers had water views AND fireplaces, I was disappointed. I had neither for the same price . They didn't know that I am from the Pacific Northwest, but I was sad to have only a train and restaurant view. I do have to say that the soundproofing from leaving the windows closed is amazing - I had hoped to leave my window open for the sea smell and had to close them in the middle of the night because of the trains. Breakfast was average - but admit my expectations in this area are high. No bill delivered overnight for quick checkout, but checkout was quick nevertheless. If I expect the same room assignment next time, I will book at the national chain hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn - Tacoma Waterfront, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Teresa M,
Thank you for sharing your experience in staying with us recently. I understand that you would be disappointed when certain members of your group may have received complimentary upgrades while you did not.
I can tell you that we do offer complimentary upgrades to individual travelers and groups at times. When we upgrade groups we do try to include all members of the group to avoid the negative feelings you describe. I am sorry that you were not upgraded along with your fellow travelers.
I am thrilled you enjoyed our staff and clean rooms. We are always working to improve our breakfast offerings and service.
I hope you decide to stay with us on your next trip to Tacoma. If you do you are welcome to contact me directly, I’d be happy to help with your reservation and help you get the best room possible for your stay.
Dan O’Leary
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

We just love Tacoma, where our son attends University of Puget Sound. There is so much natural beauty in the area, and the hotel sits right on the water. There is a small seafood store/restaurant close by and many restaurants just up the road, and tons to do in the Tacoma downtown area. The staff is really friendly and there is a decent continental breakfast. Silver Cloud Inns have a loyalty program called Silver Rewards if you're interested. My only complaint: no hot tub unless you get one of the jacuzzi rooms.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Port of Tacoma (roughly southeast) are slightly less picturesque.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

Love Love Love staying here. I travel to this area frequently for business. Always had a good experiance. Love being able to unwind from the day or work while overlooking the harbour. Always courteous and helpful staff, clean rooms and the view....you can't go wrong.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Silver Cloud Inn - Tacoma Waterfront? Share your experiences!