“Airy ambiance” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 27 hotels in Tacoma
San anselmo
“Airy ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed at Silver Cloud one night while looking at University of Puget Sound with son. Good night's sleep. Breakfast and coffee were good and the breakfast area was attractive. Staff helpful. nice open airy feel to hotel, which is a cut above your typical chain.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Yuba City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This one is right on the water, beautiful view, great location and nice rooms. Also, they have one of the better continental breakfast buffets out of any hotel I have stayed at. They also have a rewards program which helps you earn free nights. It's a great deal! Check to see if they have a corporate rate or military rate there too, usually they do.

Room Tip: I don't think they had pool
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Marysville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We reserved a room at this beautiful hotel for just one night while we were in town for a concert at the EQC. When I made the reservation on their website we requested an early check-in. We arrived in Tacoma around 12:30 and our room was ready and waiting for us. This hotel promises a "water view" from all rooms and we were not disappointed. Right when we stepped into the room the view was breathtaking. The room was very nicely furnished and very clean without smelling like bleach or other cleaners. There was a small kitchenette and a nice bathroom as well. All in all we were very pleased with the room. Another bonus was that all windows in the room cranked open to allow us to smell and feel the water below. The rooms are very well insulated and very quiet. This hotel is directly across the street from railroad tracks and as long as the windows were shut you could hardly notice as trains went by. That was the one and only complaint that we had-we like to sleep with windows cracked and we were happy to have that option at this hotel right up until about 2 am when a train went flying by sounding its horn for miles... it about blew my husband out of the bed! As long as you keep the windows shut you'll be fine. This hotel is also right next to a beautiful walking, biking trail and is surrounded by a wonderful pier with easy access. One other thing to note: this hotel does not have a pool or hot tub. They do offer free washer and dryer and a small exercise room.

Room Tip: A higher room number is further out towards the water. Example #329 is further out over water that...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I'd give the Silver Cloud Inn a "5" but for an attitude problem we experienced on check in. The guy behind the desk wasn't particularly welcoming, seemed a bit arrogant, and (when we asked about a "good" place to eat near the Tacoma Dome) referred us to a food court that was smelly and unappetizing. It appeared that he thought we were only likely to appreciate mediocre food, and we're pretty sure he didn't have the correct information about mass transit to the Dome during a concert.

Anyway: the place was spotlessly clean, very comfortable (although the in-room heater was kind of noisy), had a great breakfast buffet (not just a Continental breakfast!), and every other staff member was friendly, competent, and helpful. We'll come back and just hope we don't get the same desk clerk.

Room Tip: Upper floor was quiet, nice views of the Olympic Peninsula. Don't be concerned about the proxim...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear HeadingOut98229,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent stay at the Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma. While I am happy that you were very pleased with most aspects of your stay, your initial interaction with our front desk clerk has me quite concerned. Part of our company’s mission statement includes a commitment to “friendliness and cleanliness.” I certainly sounds like I need to re-enforce this commitment with a member of my staff. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention.
We are frequently asked for dining, drinking & transportation options in and around the Tacoma area. We always try to provide visitors with good information and several options relating to the experience they are seeking. I’m sorry that the suggestions we made did not match the experience you hoped to have. We will use your review of our property as a training tool to better serve all of our guests.
Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel in this forum. We are very proud of the product and service we provide. If you wish to speak with me personally with regard to your stay you are more that welcome to contact me directly at the hotel. It would be a pleasure to chat with you.
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sunrise or sunsets over the ocean what more could you ask for. This Inn has IT , great employees, wonderful rooms and a very GOOD breakfast. Good coffee, real waffles, bagels etc. all good quality food.
Wonderful location, close to lots of restaurants (walking distance) pubs and other choices for lunch or dinner.
The Inn is in great condition, looks great for being 11 yrs old. They have kept it up to date very classic comfortable style.
When we come back to Tacoma this is where we will stay !

Room Tip: Sunrise or sunset ask for what you enjoy most.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Carson, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I would definitely stay here again. The staff were friendly, the rooms are nice, the view is great (our room was right over the water), and they have a nice breakfast too. We got to watch people crabbing off the pier from our room. Location was very convenient too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Angleton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I recently traveled to Tacoma to photograph a wedding in late December. The bride and groom had reserved a view room for me at this hotel. It was wonderful!

You see, as a photographer and traveler, all I really want from any room is for it to be clean with a clean bathroom and to have a desk on which I can place my laptop so I can get work done. The free WiFi, the coffee maker, mini-fridge, flat-screen TV and beautiful view of Commencement Bay were the icing on the cake.

During my 2-night stay, I found no fault with anything in my room or in the hotel. This place serves a free continental breakfast from 6AM to 9AM that includes cereal, toast, bagels, sausage, scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles with a wafflemaker, juice and coffee, and probably some other items about which I am forgetting to list. A free daily paper is also left at the door of each occupied room.

There's a walkway all the way around the outside of the hotel, with beautiful views of Commencement Bay. The hotel itself is easy to get to, and it's located near the part of Tacoma called "Old Town", with easy walking access (mostly uphill) to various shops and eateries. It's also a short drive distance from the hotel to other shops and restaurants. The beautiful and quiet Chinese Reconciliation Park is a short walk away, with great views of the bay.

Desk reception was friendly, courteous, and helpful, and there is plenty of parking around the hotel. There is an in-house fitness room which I did not access. And aside from the continental breakfast, there is no in-house restaurant or bar, so keep that in mind if those are things important to you.

If I am ever up that way again, this is the hotel at which I will definitely stay. It has easy in-out access and is not too far away from such places as the Tacoma Museum of Glass.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room. Mine was on the third floor at the end farthest away from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma? Share your experiences!