“Loved it !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Kamloops, Canada
“Loved it !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Sunrise or sunsets over the ocean what more could you ask for. This Inn has IT , great employees, wonderful rooms and a very GOOD breakfast. Good coffee, real waffles, bagels etc. all good quality food.
Wonderful location, close to lots of restaurants (walking distance) pubs and other choices for lunch or dinner.
The Inn is in great condition, looks great for being 11 yrs old. They have kept it up to date very classic comfortable style.
When we come back to Tacoma this is where we will stay !

Room Tip: Sunrise or sunset ask for what you enjoy most.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Carson, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I would definitely stay here again. The staff were friendly, the rooms are nice, the view is great (our room was right over the water), and they have a nice breakfast too. We got to watch people crabbing off the pier from our room. Location was very convenient too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Angleton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I recently traveled to Tacoma to photograph a wedding in late December. The bride and groom had reserved a view room for me at this hotel. It was wonderful!

You see, as a photographer and traveler, all I really want from any room is for it to be clean with a clean bathroom and to have a desk on which I can place my laptop so I can get work done. The free WiFi, the coffee maker, mini-fridge, flat-screen TV and beautiful view of Commencement Bay were the icing on the cake.

During my 2-night stay, I found no fault with anything in my room or in the hotel. This place serves a free continental breakfast from 6AM to 9AM that includes cereal, toast, bagels, sausage, scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles with a wafflemaker, juice and coffee, and probably some other items about which I am forgetting to list. A free daily paper is also left at the door of each occupied room.

There's a walkway all the way around the outside of the hotel, with beautiful views of Commencement Bay. The hotel itself is easy to get to, and it's located near the part of Tacoma called "Old Town", with easy walking access (mostly uphill) to various shops and eateries. It's also a short drive distance from the hotel to other shops and restaurants. The beautiful and quiet Chinese Reconciliation Park is a short walk away, with great views of the bay.

Desk reception was friendly, courteous, and helpful, and there is plenty of parking around the hotel. There is an in-house fitness room which I did not access. And aside from the continental breakfast, there is no in-house restaurant or bar, so keep that in mind if those are things important to you.

If I am ever up that way again, this is the hotel at which I will definitely stay. It has easy in-out access and is not too far away from such places as the Tacoma Museum of Glass.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room. Mine was on the third floor at the end farthest away from the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Billings, Montana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just stayed three days at the Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma and had a very pleasant visit. Our room was on the third floor right on the water with panoramic views of the Sound. I did not notice the noise noted by some reviewers but we were out of the room for family visits and seasonal functions quite a lot. We did, however, enjoy the fireplace and the welcoming coziness of the room when we came in from the rain late at night. The breakfast was more than adequate and we will definitely stay there again when visiting family in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Not a chain place which to some business travelers is a negative...need those points! However for a relaxing place to hang out on an otherwise hectic business trip the Silver Cloud hits the mark. Views are great and the staff is very nice. Very clean. Fitness facility below average and the breakfast is so-so. For a great breakfast head five minutes up the hill to Knapps!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The room was nice and the view was amazing. My daughter enjoyed watching the tide go in and out. Front desk staff were friendly and answered questions helpfully.

We checked in around 6:25pm on a Tuesday evening. When I was given a room on the first floor, I expressed a concern that this room would not be quiet and I have a problem sleeping when it is noisy. The gentleman said that the special event going on in the lobby was only on Tuesday nights, so it would be fine. When I asked about the breakfast noise, he said I was far enough down the hall that it would not be a problem. Well, it was a problem. I woke up at 5am to the noise of dishes being clanked together and more. The next night, I was awakened by people who came in at 2am and were talking loudly as they were walking to and waiting for the elevator. I assume they awoke the whole first floor and probably those on their floor too.

I was surprised to find that the special event in the breakfast area that first day was open to everyone staying at the hotel. At other hotels, I was always invited to participate no matter how close to the end it was when I checked in. After we had taken the luggage to our room, we came out to the front desk to ask if there was a convenient fast food place we could go to and get a snack, but more importantly, something to drink. One of the people at the front desk mentioned that they were cleaning up the evening social, but that I could get sodas from there, and if they were already cleaned up, they could get something for me. It seems like the training might not be consistent across the board. This is more in line with the service I expect. As I was getting the sodas and a small snack, the person who managed the food also came and asked me if I needed a larger plate or if she could get anything for me. This was very nice.

The other problem was that I was placed in a handicap accessible room. Although it was nice to have a little extra space, It was difficult to not be able to hang up my dress slacks or coat since there were 2 bars in the closet rather than 1. The hotel did not seem to be full at any point during my stay, so I am not sure why I was placed here.

The tight parking that someone else mentioned was also a bit inconvenient, but in rainy WA, the fact that there was some covered parking was a really nice bonus. I also agree that the trains can be annoying and some of them did blow their horns, but I did not notice this over night.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor towards the back to avoid the breakfast area and train noises.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Alwweb,
Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel. I apologize that you were left with mixed feelings about your experience with us.

I’m very sorry you were disturbed by noise during your stay. It is very important to me that all of our guests have a comfortable and quiet stay. I see that you had asked to move to a higher floor and I can assure you that if we had one available we certainly would have granted that request. Our handicap accessible accommodations are comprised of some of our standard room types and our standard room types are typically the first to sell out. This may explain why you were assigned this room at check in. It was very likely the last room of the room type you booked that we had available.

Every Tuesday evening we offer a complimentary reception from 5:30 to 6:30 pm as a “thank you” to our guests. We offer a variety of wines, beer, soft drinks and snacks in our lobby and enjoy getting to know the people staying with us. Our front desk staff is usually very good about informing our guests of this amenity. It sounds like we may not have made sure you that you knew you were welcome to join this event at check in, if that is the case please accept my apology. Although it does end at 6:30 we always accommodate late comers as long as we have the products available.

I am very happy to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed the view from your guest room. I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in the Tacoma area; I know your next visit will be a more restful one. If you have other details you would like to discuss with me you are welcome to contact me directly at the hotel.

Dan O’Leary
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

A comfortable place on the waterfront of Tacoma. Terrific views, especially as you get further from the reception area. Floor to ceiling windows, and views of the water and some navy ships in the distance created a wonderful vista. Service is very accommodating, efficient, and friendly. Breakfast met the need - with the usual complement of breads, an hot dish - like quiche or blintzes and a breakfast meat, as well as waffles, yogurt and cereal. I found the hotel to be a relaxing and restful place. Sound sensitive folks will want to secure a room with a higher number (maybe 15+) to get away from the railroad tracks across the street from the reception area - and the periodic passing of trains.

Room Tip: If sound is an issue, stay off the first floor, and get a room with a higher number to get away from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma? Share your experiences!