“Great place for a short visit” 4 of 5 stars

Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma
2317 N. Ruston Way, Tacoma, WA 98402   |
Ranked #1 of 27 hotels in Tacoma
Billings, Montana
“Great place for a short visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We just stayed three days at the Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma and had a very pleasant visit. Our room was on the third floor right on the water with panoramic views of the Sound. I did not notice the noise noted by some reviewers but we were out of the room for family visits and seasonal functions quite a lot. We did, however, enjoy the fireplace and the welcoming coziness of the room when we came in from the rain late at night. The breakfast was more than adequate and we will definitely stay there again when visiting family in the area.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Not a chain place which to some business travelers is a negative...need those points! However for a relaxing place to hang out on an otherwise hectic business trip the Silver Cloud hits the mark. Views are great and the staff is very nice. Very clean. Fitness facility below average and the breakfast is so-so. For a great breakfast head five minutes up the hill to Knapps!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The room was nice and the view was amazing. My daughter enjoyed watching the tide go in and out. Front desk staff were friendly and answered questions helpfully.

We checked in around 6:25pm on a Tuesday evening. When I was given a room on the first floor, I expressed a concern that this room would not be quiet and I have a problem sleeping when it is noisy. The gentleman said that the special event going on in the lobby was only on Tuesday nights, so it would be fine. When I asked about the breakfast noise, he said I was far enough down the hall that it would not be a problem. Well, it was a problem. I woke up at 5am to the noise of dishes being clanked together and more. The next night, I was awakened by people who came in at 2am and were talking loudly as they were walking to and waiting for the elevator. I assume they awoke the whole first floor and probably those on their floor too.

I was surprised to find that the special event in the breakfast area that first day was open to everyone staying at the hotel. At other hotels, I was always invited to participate no matter how close to the end it was when I checked in. After we had taken the luggage to our room, we came out to the front desk to ask if there was a convenient fast food place we could go to and get a snack, but more importantly, something to drink. One of the people at the front desk mentioned that they were cleaning up the evening social, but that I could get sodas from there, and if they were already cleaned up, they could get something for me. It seems like the training might not be consistent across the board. This is more in line with the service I expect. As I was getting the sodas and a small snack, the person who managed the food also came and asked me if I needed a larger plate or if she could get anything for me. This was very nice.

The other problem was that I was placed in a handicap accessible room. Although it was nice to have a little extra space, It was difficult to not be able to hang up my dress slacks or coat since there were 2 bars in the closet rather than 1. The hotel did not seem to be full at any point during my stay, so I am not sure why I was placed here.

The tight parking that someone else mentioned was also a bit inconvenient, but in rainy WA, the fact that there was some covered parking was a really nice bonus. I also agree that the trains can be annoying and some of them did blow their horns, but I did not notice this over night.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor towards the back to avoid the breakfast area and train noises.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Alwweb,
Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel. I apologize that you were left with mixed feelings about your experience with us.

I’m very sorry you were disturbed by noise during your stay. It is very important to me that all of our guests have a comfortable and quiet stay. I see that you had asked to move to a higher floor and I can assure you that if we had one available we certainly would have granted that request. Our handicap accessible accommodations are comprised of some of our standard room types and our standard room types are typically the first to sell out. This may explain why you were assigned this room at check in. It was very likely the last room of the room type you booked that we had available.

Every Tuesday evening we offer a complimentary reception from 5:30 to 6:30 pm as a “thank you” to our guests. We offer a variety of wines, beer, soft drinks and snacks in our lobby and enjoy getting to know the people staying with us. Our front desk staff is usually very good about informing our guests of this amenity. It sounds like we may not have made sure you that you knew you were welcome to join this event at check in, if that is the case please accept my apology. Although it does end at 6:30 we always accommodate late comers as long as we have the products available.

I am very happy to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed the view from your guest room. I hope you will stay with us the next time you are in the Tacoma area; I know your next visit will be a more restful one. If you have other details you would like to discuss with me you are welcome to contact me directly at the hotel.

Dan O’Leary
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

A comfortable place on the waterfront of Tacoma. Terrific views, especially as you get further from the reception area. Floor to ceiling windows, and views of the water and some navy ships in the distance created a wonderful vista. Service is very accommodating, efficient, and friendly. Breakfast met the need - with the usual complement of breads, an hot dish - like quiche or blintzes and a breakfast meat, as well as waffles, yogurt and cereal. I found the hotel to be a relaxing and restful place. Sound sensitive folks will want to secure a room with a higher number (maybe 15+) to get away from the railroad tracks across the street from the reception area - and the periodic passing of trains.

Room Tip: If sound is an issue, stay off the first floor, and get a room with a higher number to get away from...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
UNIONTOWN, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Wow! This hotel is actually located on Puget Sound (actually on the water) and has some amazing views. My room had floor to ceiling windows. Some of my co-workers had rooms with a fireplace and a jacuzzi but I just had the standard room. The standard room was a nice size and the bed was comfortable, The room had a wet bar with a refrigerator and microwave. The hotel offers breakfast at no charge.The hotel was very clean and the staff friendly. I had little water pressure but maintenance quickly made an adjustment to the fawcet and I had no issues after that. I will definitely stay at this hotel if I am in Tacoma in the future. There is a walking path in front of the hotel that goes along the waterfront. There are many restaurants close by.

Room Tip: Request a corner room for the best view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

This was a cute hotel right by the water. It's not a five start hotel so don't go there expecting that.
They served free breakfast which was ok - not great but just ok.
Free parking, comfortable bed, - very basic, like the holiday inn.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

The location on the water and near restaurants can't be beat. The bathroom is small and the rooms are not light filled but the views of Commencement Bay are terrific. Try to get a room facing the Bay. You can walk to 6 or 7 good fish restaurants. Duke's is our favorite. The breakfast is OK, the breakfast room is lovely and the hotel employees are wonderful. We need to travel to Tacoma a few times a year and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room on Commencement Bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma? Share your experiences!