“Very old hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
You added Econo Lodge to your Saves list
Econo Lodge
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   8820 S. Hosmer Street Building B, Tacoma, WA 98444 (Formerly King Oscar Motel Tacoma)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Newberg, Oregon
“Very old hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Ratings for this hotel seemed positive so we gave it a try. We only need a room for one night as we were passing through WA. Bed was practically on the floor it was so low, and the pillows were terrible. Very old furnishings, no blow dryer in the room, breakfast was very light in the morning as well. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

What do you want from a motel? clean rooms, convenient location, friendly staff? Check, check, check. Throw in free breakfast and a low room rate and you have a customer for life, at least if you're talking about me

My wife and I and our 9 year old nephew traveled to Tacoma to visit family and stayed at the King Oscar Motel without any expectations or preconceived notions. We were impressed from the very first. The front desk clerk was very friendly and the room was HUGE (which is a nice perc when you have three people crammed into a room for four days)

One night we had the family back to the motel to use the hot tub in the indoor pool area (important, since it was winter and snowing) and we ordered food in. We didn't want to eat in the room, so i asked if we could use the breakfast area The night clerk not only said yes, but she lit candles, brought out plates and utensils and arranged a selection of cookies for after It was unexpected and appreciated We didn't just feel permitted to use the room, we were made to feel welcomed. Thats and impressive feat when you consider we made our selection based solely on the motel's proximity to I-5

My wife and I chose to treat this trip as a small vacation, so we slept in until 8:30 each morning. The nephew, however, was up and at'em each day at 7. He took the run of the motel grounds, exploring each nook and cranny, getting into snowball fights with other guest's kids and making his own breakfast. He got to know the staff and by the end of our stay they knew him by name. Rather than getting annoyed, the morning clerk showed him how to make waffles!

Sweet kid that he is, our nephew wanted to bring us coffee in the room. The clerk was worried he'd scald himself and called us to make sure we were expecting him and on the lookout Our stay was so full of personal, kind moments like these that I could write several more paragraphs.

The King Oscar Motel is inexpensive, clean, convenient and serves a free waffle and carbs breakfast, but the reason we are recommending it is that it has soul. Thats hard to find these days.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have stayed at this "off the grid" hotel chain on three occasions during late Dec 2011 and early Jan 2012. I stayed at the Tacoma, WA as well as the Pacific, WA locations. The rooms at both locations were large and clean with very comfortable beds. The rooms had refrigerators and microwave ovens as well as WIFI, all at a lower price then most hotels in the Tacoma, WA area. Both hotels are "not new" but well cared for. The Tacoma hotel rooms have an outside entry but the Pacific hotel rooms have inside entries and was newer then the Tacoma hotel. The included breakfast was standard continental with waffle makers. but was edible and filling. Both locations are near restaurants, fast food and gas stations. I will stay there as long as the price remains competitive.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

these hotels are only in washington. This one has one building with elevator for us older folks and challenged. My remote went dead before midnight, 2 security men came over with new batteries. It is very clean, particularly quiet and of cource your can can be quite close. Loved it, and for $60 a night, great value. Very updated. Linens very good, better than the high priced. If you see one of these around washington--stay there!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

Good visit. Clean room, excellent service. Great experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

I am a average american with a good sense of bussiness relations, I must say I have never been treated so badly in my travels as I have here at the King Oscar In Tacoma WA, I am very disappointed in the guest services, when I asked if I could see a room, they said I dont have any business looking, if I wanted a room, just take what they give me. when I got to the room it had stained carpets, dirty drapes, poop still in the toilet, the room smelled like moldy dog hair. the view from the window was a swimming pool filled half full of green fungus. I was so tired and just wanted to get some sleep and leave in the morning, I woke up the next day itching, there were bed bugs, I had to get medical attention afterwards. I warn you, do not go there.

Breakfast is inadequate--, some cereal,moldy muffins and english muffins are stale, moldy fruit, no coffee or tea and fruit juice. The location provides convenient access to southern Tacoma, McChord AF Base and Fort Lewis. It is also close to a depressed neighborhood there are prostitutes soliciting other guests--military personnel in particular. As a response to these solicitations, the motel has hired 24-hour security. but security guards are also selling crack.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Seattle Wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2008

I was there for a conventon and was totally disgusted. The box springs looked like someone had bled on it and it was never cleaned. There were stains on the pillow cases and the blankets looked like they had been there since 1970. Thursday there was a shooting in the motel. All the women attending the convention were advised not to walk in the parking lot alone. I saw no hint of security. This place still has the old fashioned lock and key. They have high speed internet access but they cant buy a card key system? Our room door didnt close unless you shoved it closed as the carpet pile was too thick. During our final closing ceremony there was some sort of band playing VERY loudly in the conference room across the hall. The breakfast was adequite however you have to basically walk through the kitchen to get to the breakfast room which was so small for a 221 room hotel that you had to go outside to change your mind. I think there were 3 five person tables and 4 two or three person tables. The juices were watery and the coffe was that syrup coffee stuff.

I will never again sty at any of the King Oscar Properties. Even if my convention is there I will stay down the road and commute. I should have stayed at the Holiday inn Express down the road.

After 11 years in the hotel business I never saw a hotel like this and there front desk procedures are even more strange. They even take a copy of your drivers liceanse.

All I can say is NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Checking out, going home and disinfecting myself.
  • Disliked — Where to start, where to start???? EVERYTHING
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!