“Don't expect anything good here” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 10% Today!
Ranked #12 of 27 hotels in Tacoma
Tacoma, Washington
“Don't expect anything good here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

1st off I must say that they lady who checked us in at night (Jessica) was very friendly and helpful. Too bad I had to deal with Yolanda there next morning, she must be new but I can't even say that's an excuse because I think she just lacks common sense and I am pretty easy going. We stayed here a total of 1 week and our toilet was backed up after they 1st night here and stayed that way for about 3 or 4 days. We requested a new room but apparently that was asking too much because we were instead given a bad attitude and a dial tone by then manager, Jessica... Not there lady who checked us in. I had about 3 encounters with Jessica and I guess I can see why Yolanda is still there because if they manager hangs up on guests then I guess they rest of their staff will believe that's they standard of customer service this place offers. We finally were able to switch rooms but when my husband went to relax in their recliner he was met with a freaking hypodermic needle. We are still waiting to hear back from their corporate office about this because I was surely not going to expect Jessica to care. We were offered a 25% discount for a night because of the toilet issues. I am just reliving a nightmare so I will end this review here... I am sure I have offered enough details for anyone to make an informed decision.

• Stayed July 2014

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tacoma, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This location has very poor customer service, Most days when I arrived or was leaving there was no staff at the desk. Sign said "workers in the back room" Door is always closed this is a sign of staff that are not interested in serving the guest.

Also staff hung up on my wife when she called to get a copy of the bill very rude and not knowledgeable staff. Corporate office had to retrieve this for us... Again very POOR Customer service Property.....

Last: Staff checked me into a Room that had not been cleaned yet... Wow what a bad image...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Never will stay at the Tacoma or Fife hotel again. Website i booked our stay at showed this hotel had late check out and free local calls. Front desk harrassed us to leave at exactly check out time even though i spoke with front desk hours earlier about possibly staying another night. Since they gave us 5 mins to leave we hurried our bags to the car. I ran back to get two bags still in room. Front desk already had them and harrased me about a ,$1.10 phone charge. This was the first i heard of it, so i told her to shove it. Website said free local calls and late check out, they did not honor either one. Than called the nearby Extended Stay and they wouldnt check us in because of the phone charge. I asked to pay the 1.10 with credit card and the manager said NO i had to go back to other hotel. Website said early check in, but i was told check in was not until 3pm. I decided to ask for refund,

• Stayed June 2014
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I just wanted to write a quick review about Amy. She was very helpful and nice. She obviously knows her job very well. The staff has always been good, and Amy is no different. Look forward to another stay.

• Stayed April 2014
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this location many times. Because of my work schedule I have had to check in earlier than the regular time. They offered me early check in every time and made sure my room was ready. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The staff has always been friendly and professional. This has become a home away from home. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed March 2014
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
The staff and I appreciate your kind remarks. We’re thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel and the service our staff provided. Again, thank you for the comments. We look forward to providing you with another comfortable stay in the future!
Naples, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Overall, I thought the experience at this hotel was good, but not great. However, one of their staff (Amy Simmons) single-handedly overcame many issues, and wowed me with her charm, grace, and genuine customer care skills, which makes me rate this hotel four stars.

Some things, though, even Amy could not overcome....an inoperative elevator for four days, or how about six out of eight clothes dryers being out of order for all 17 days of my stay?! Sheeeez. And I was told that "corporate" knew of the problem and was trying to find a repairman. Give me Google or the Yellow Pages, and I could have had someone on their way in 15 minutes...but apparently that's not the Extended Stay way. I did have a persistent early morning hot water issue (or should I say cold water issue?) which never really got solved, but the GM tried to make good in the best way she knew how and I was happy with the resolution. Bottom line: somebody does not have their eyes on the ball where maintenance is concerned and a slow-moving bureaucracy seems to be in charge of fixing things.

The hotel is clean and has been recently renovated so I applaud the overall feel of the place. It's warm and inviting. One thing I think was a terrible mistake on the part of those in charge of the renovation...the bedspread is for looks only. It serves no warming, or comfort function for the person sleeping under it. The word "useless" comes to mind. An egregious oversight that few of the top chains miss so badly on.

As to value, I think you do get a lot of bang for the buck here, and I did enjoy my stay overall. But again, were it not for Amy Simmons at the front desk, eagerly solving issues when they cropped up to the best of her ability, this would have been a different experience for me. Hey, Extended Stay America...promote her to a REAL Assistant Manager position (and not something ceremonial; or fancy in title but light in authority) or prepare to lose her. You don't keep talent that good for long, if you don't double down on their future and promote them quickly up the ranks. There are other good hotel chains that would donate a kidney to science to have a sharp cookie like her.

Lastly, the location is super being so near to the Mall and lots of good eateries being so close by.

Would I stay at the Tacoma-South location again? Yes. But I would hope that my second stay would be better than my first.

Room Tip: If you're a real early riser, don't get a room on the fourth floor....it take the hot water...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

The negative reviews almost made us book elsewhere but the ideal location by the mall and astride the highway and kitchenette made it too hard not to go here. Newly renovated rooms were very nice. Clean, fresh and sufficiently equipped. It's not fancy, but it's clean friendly and reasonably priced. While we did have issues from renovations in other floors, Management was very involved and accommodation in correcting everything to our satisfaction. We'll be back here next trip.

Stayed January 2014
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel. I am so glad that you liked our new and improved look, from our guest rooms to common areas, we are very proud of the enhancements that have been made. As well, it is great to know that you found your room to be clean and truly enjoyed the service our staff provided.

Been to Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South? Share your experiences!