“Tacoma Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1425 East 27th St, Tacoma, WA 98421-2200   |
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
A TripAdvisor Member
“Tacoma Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We've visited this LaQuinta only two times for a couple nights each trip and found it to be such a welcoming and friendly environment! All staff seem to go out of their way to be helpful and accommodating...you can't help but notice and we so appreciate and value this being so far from home! It is wonderful access for us taking our daughter to college at PSU and the rooms are wonderful. We think it's unusual and lucky to have found such a treasure of a place to call home...away from home!

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I had booked my room online 3 weeks in advance to our stay. When I got to the hotel I gave him my name and he couldn't find my reservation. I just had a long trip and was getting kind of grumpy that there was no reservation. I went back out to my vehicle and grabbed my reservation confirmation, upon looking at it I realized that when I booked I hadn't changed the date so my reservation was for 3 weeks prior. I had noticed earlier on my credit card statment that I had got charged for one nights stay but didn't think anything of it. Turns out I had been charged the full nights stay for a no show, which is standard at hotels. Josh at the front desk was very accomodating and refunded my no show charge and got me a room for my three nights stay. I was very thankful when he realized it was my error but refunded me anyway. The hotel staff was very friendly, rooms were clean, the kids loved the outdoor pool, and the price was exactly what I was budgeting for. If we ever come back into the area I will be sure to stop at this hotel for our stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Custer, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Use the dining room for breakfast - Good meals. They accomodated twelve for dinner and I enjoyed all the food even the dessert first. The pool provided an afternoon for all ages. We had fun and food with family. Great visit. No problems. Thanks!!!

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Good clean hotel. Booked on line over breakfast whilst on our way to Tacoma. Receptionist very helpful suggested places to visit, even phoned to check we were ok in the room (first time ever had that in the Usa infact anywhere). Good choice!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Astoria, Oregon, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a great location to stay at, the staff is very friendly and professional check in went very smooth !!! THIS LA QUINTA IS A GREAT PLACE TO STAY UNLIKE THE ONE IN ALBANY , OREGON !!! This location is located with-in walking distance to the EQC and has a pool and lounge-restaurant on-site for those who choose not to go out !

Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This was my first trip to Tacoma (and subsequently Seattle) and I poured over the hotel reviews onTripadvisor trying to decide on a place to stay. My husband and I ultimately ended up choosing La Quinta because of the free parking and breakfast that was offered at a reasonable price. As this was ultimately a shopping/sight-seeing trip, we didn't want to spend an excessive amount of our budget on the hotel. During other trips to the states, we typically stay at a Holiday Inn Express but the Northgate location (which was the cheapest) didn't sound very safe.

This was our first time staying with the La Quinta chain, and highly likely our last. Our initial impression in the lobby was that the property is definitely in need of some updates. The colors in the lobby, and of the bedspread in the rooms, are dated and overly-worn. While I am sure (hope??) the bedspreads are cleaned, they have been around several years too many. The lobby and elevator, in particular, have a musty/stale odor which I fortunately did not notice in our room. The initial room we were given had a king bed, no extra seating and a small side desk. It also faced the train tracks and had a connecting door to the suite beside us. Because of this, we requested a change in room which was dealt with EXTREMELY pleasantly and efficiently by the gentleman at the front desk. (So sorry I have forgotten his name to give kudos!) Our second room was an upgrade with a small sofa and faced the highway. We would strongly suggest that should you decide to stay here, bring ear plugs. Once the air conditioning unit shuts off, it is very difficult to tune out the highway noise.

I am not sure what is used to clean the towels and linens but they are exceptionally stiff and irritating on the skin. The towels were scratchy and on the thin side.

I know that this hotel welcomes dogs, but I am not sure if they have designated pet rooms. My husband was congested during our stay here so we suspect that the room had previously had a dog guest. Both my husband and I had several bites from something on our legs and torsos after our stay. While I do not believe they were from bed bugs (I did research online as to what the bites would look like) I am very sure that they were a result of staying at this hotel. Prior to our stay at La Quinta, we did not have any such bites. Subsequently, we moved to a hotel in Seattle and there were no new bites.

The complimentary breakfast was served in the restaurant which we found to be a little odd. Unlike complimentary breakfasts at the Howard Johnson, or Holiday Inn Express, you are seated by the restaurant staff and brought coffee, water or juice, even though this is all available at the buffet. It felt to us like it was a way to get additional pay (via tips) for the staff. Don't get me wrong, they were exceptionally pleasant, but this did not seem necessary and appeared more like overcompensation for a very limited complimentary breakfast. There were cold boiled eggs, oranges, yogurt, cereal, instant oatmeal, small muffins (blueberry, banana nut, apple cinnamon) and a limited variety of breads (white & brown bread, new york style bagels, plain waffles). I suppose another reason this was offered in the restaurant was so you could order (for a cost) hot foods (e.g. bacon, etc) to supplement your breakfast. Oddly enough, there was a counter with coffee in the main lobby, but I was surprised that they didn't put out a basket off muffins, for those who just wanted to grab something quick to-go.

Overall, I didn't particularly enjoy our stay here and should we return to Tacoma, I would try staying someplace else. I believe the staff and hotel tries to make your stay enjoyable but there are several areas that they need to improve on before I would recommend this place to others.

Room Tip: If you have allergies, ask if they have pet-free rooms. Also, it might be better to stay on the sid...