“Anticipated a terrible stay, but it was great!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Tacoma

You added Red Lion Hotel Tacoma to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Tacoma
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8402 S Hosmer, Tacoma, WA 98444 (Formerly Sherwood Travelodge)   |
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Tucson, AZ
“Anticipated a terrible stay, but it was great!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

From the previous reviews, I was worried when my family selected this hotel to stay at while we were in Tacoma for a wedding. It turns out I was incredibly impressed! The room was very clean, spacious, has nicer than average furnishings, granite counters in the bathroom, etc. The wireless internet worked great in my room the whole stay (thank goodness! I needed to work while I was away, plus I got to upload wedding pics right away!) and all the staff were so friendly, everyone I passed in the hallways said "Hi". Breakfast ends at 9, so make sure you get down by then or you're out of luck, but if you make it, there are waffles plus standard continental breakfast fare, coffee wasn't half-bad either. We even took a dip in the pool & hot tub, and that was good, too. I wouldn't recommend this spot if you're looking to walk to anywhere, but if you have a rental car you're in good shape, right off the freeway.

• Liked — Clean, well-appointed
  • Disliked — Not much nearby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2008

I booked this hotel through Hotwire, so after I found out where I'd be staying, I checked out the reviews. After reading several of the most recent ones, I was dreading my trip.

I will say that I was less than impressed by the corporate customer service people. Since I was traveling for business, the reports of WiFi not working concerned me. I called their customer service line & they were unresponsive & dismissive. However, since I booked through Hotwire, the trip was already paid for, so I showed up anyway. As it turned out, things were not that bad.

The lobby was ok, nothing special, but clean & had a nice, small breakfast/tv area. It had an indoor pool/hot tub & a small, but servicable fitness area. My room was a decent size & had nice furnishings. The king bed was comfortable, but too soft for my taste. Amenities included: iron/board, closet, alarm clock, coffee service, desk, a microwave & a large "mini fridge". There were also several restaurants nearby.

My only negative is that the place is NOISY. Interior & exterior sounds travelled seemingly unimpeded. Luckily I'm a heavy sleeper, or I may have had trouble w/the noise. Also, I'm not too sure about the area of town though. There were a lot of "unsavory" people walking around (although nothing happened).

• Liked — Room size, microwave & microfridge.
  • Disliked — Noise level
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monument Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

The primary issue was the WiFi was down and no matter how much technical support we received, hotel staff unable to get it back online. Other guests had the same problem as we gathered in the lobby at the same time. The next morning it was STILL not fixed. The lobby computer had unrelated problems as well. This hotel has amenities of a big hotel chain and at one time may have been "nice"... but the wing we were in was on the downward slide. The carpeted elevator didn't look like it had been vacuumed in a month of Mondays. The hotel generally smelled stale and old and the hallways looked the same. I have to say the room was not bad, the bathroom clean and contemporary, and the bed was the most comfortable of all the hotels we stayed in on a week long trip. But we felt the hotel was generally not up to Red Lion expectations.

• Liked — Comfortable Bed
  • Disliked — Poorly Maintained hotel
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

First of all my company booked the room for me. They were asked if the room should cover meals in the restaurant, lounge, movies etc. I was extremely surprised when I arrived and they had no restaurants or lounges. In fact they have nothing here. Next off the front counter person told me that the internet would be down for an hour or so as they are doing some work on it. Just then several people came down asking if it was back working again, and that it had been down for two days. Since I work in IT, I talked to the guy working on it. He was another front desk guy and knew practically nothing about fixing this thing. After some prodding, he eventually told me that a friend of his was going to come look at it tomorrow, and it would be down at least till then. The phones kept cutting me off and staying off for 10-15 minutes each time. They said they were resetting them for some reason. Im here for work and depend on the internet and the phone. I was stuck because the other hotels were booked up by the time I found out about all of this. Also, the cable only had a few channels working, and the pay per view was not working. Did I mention that the carpet was filthy and that there were strange little bugs in the bathroom on the floor...small with a round front and pointy end with lots of legs all along them. I dont know what they were but they were gross. All in all this was the worst hotel experience Ive ever had and I travel for my work a lot. Find a cheap rundown hotel for $50 rather than spend the $150 my company paid for this one and you will be much happier.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Bathroom bugs
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
RLGuestRelations, Director of Sales & Marketing at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, December 30, 2008
Please understand that the hotel is currently under new ownership and has undergone a complete renovation since this stay in March. Not only has the hotel undergone change, the staff has as well. At this time, we pride ourselves in a beautiful hotel with friendly and professional employees.
poulsbo,washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2008

Ok, Ive stayed at some wonderful hotels through my life and really bad ones also. I understand that some peoples garbage is another mans treasure. Well, I think anyone would agree with me when we say, this place is the pits. I don't mind older, but clean would be good. Also, once checking into room, nothing was plugged in, including my fridge. I'm ready to put my drinks into the Fridge, forget it, The fridge wont be cool for awhile. -
Then when getting back from our concert, the girls were hungry. Great the snack machine was broken. We go down into the lobby and the front desk has her kids playing in the lobby snacking on hot cocoa and oranges. It looked like I was interupting family time in there living room.I asked her If there was any place to get a snack, she replied No...Anything, No!
Maybe her curlers kept her from understanding me. Anyways, Long story short.-Do not stay here. Unless of course, you have a few enemies you could refer it to..

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

We travel to the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia areas on a regular basis for junior tennis tournaments. We stayed at the Red Lion and while the room was clean with okay decor, I can't say that I'm in a rush to stay there for the next Tacoma tournament.

The hotel was okay, but the area was a bit doubtful. There isn't a restaurant in the hotel, so I walked across the road to the pizza restaurant for take away. While crossing, two "hot rods" went roaring past me in a street race. Pretty dangerous. The hotel breakfast didn't look all that terrific, so we went to the next door Denny's. We didn't find the hotel staff all that welcoming either, they weren't unfriendly but they weren't friendly, either.

I don't think Tacoma has much to offer in the way of pleasant 2.5*-3* hotels, so next time I think I'll stay at the Clarion Hotel in Federal Way and just drive into the Tacoma tournament.

• Liked — clean, comfortable room
  • Disliked — staff and neighbourhood
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Our hotel is now under new ownership since the date of this stay. With the new ownership came a complete renovation as well! In addition, our complimentary extended continental breakfast has been upgraded. Even our staff is new and we are very proud of their friendliness, professionalism, and committment to guest satisfaction. We currently do a great deal of sports team business and are also active sponsors of numerous sporting organizations. With our upgrades and renovations now complete, we've had huge success with teams and tournament attendees.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Tacoma? Share your experiences!