“Wonderful staff, room comfortable, but noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel Tacoma

Save Saved
You added Red Lion Hotel Tacoma to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel Tacoma
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8402 S Hosmer, Tacoma, WA 98444 (Formerly Sherwood Travelodge)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Summer Free Night Offer
Ranked #14 of 27 hotels in Tacoma
Banks, OR
“Wonderful staff, room comfortable, but noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here on a recent Saturday night. We were dog-tired from standing in lines all day at the Antiques Roadshow appraisal in Seattle and found the beds to be comfortable (memory foam mattresses).

The staff was quite helpful and found the wedding ring my wife had left in the room by accident.

Three things to note:
1) it appears there is no separate pet area--we had a dog staying down the hall
2) the breakfast is continental--that means nothing but carbs. We chose to eat down the block at a local Elmer's instead.
3) the hotel is right next to the freeway. If you use Hotwire (as we did) you're going to have a lot of highway noise. We were quite tired, so it didn't bother us, but others may find it objectionable.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
RLGuestRelations, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for choosing Red Lion Hotel Tacoma during your trip to Tacoma!

We appreciate the feedback you have provided regarding your stay experience.

We have recently updated the hotel rooms with new bedding, TVs to better your experience next time. We also have new carpets in the plans to be completed by end of 2012.

We hope to have you and your family stay again next time!

Thank you.

Ryan Kang

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Elma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Room was marginally clean, though I could faintly smell "dog". It wasn't a right-there-in-your-face odor, but you could tell that it was a room that had a recent presence of dogs. In fact, the rest of the hotel didn't have that clean, sterile "hotel smell", and I actually think that's potentially a bad thing--I've never stayed at a good hotel without that signature smell. The hallway carpet was filthy, the toilet in my room required the flush handle to be held down all the way to do it's job, and highway traffic could be heard. On the plus side, the pool and spa was excellent (it's in a separate pavilion) and the continental breakfast was OK...until they snatched it from people's noses at 9 AM sharp--an elderly couple was FIVE MINUTES late and asked the front desk attendant if they could at least have the bread out for toast...she had an "Oh, well, sucks to be you" attitude towards them...how rude and inhospitable! I had to take a star off for that one, even though it wasn't necessarily my problem.

I might want to mention that though it's not necessarily the fault of the hotel itself, a teenaged boy noticed that I was "lost" and looking for an elevator...he was "nice" and helped me out, but even wanted to walk me to my room and wanted to know if I wanted to walk with him later on...it kind of spooked me. I mean, if I was a female his age, like around 16 or 18, I could probably understand, but hanging out with a slightly heavyset 51-year-old lady (which is myself)? It didn't add up. So if you do decide to stay here, you might have traveling teenage boys wanting to "hang out" with you, er, beg you for money or hold you up (or worse).

I don't think that I will be returning here, even though I don't really stay in Tacoma. It was off the highway and was the first thing I thought of after a trip around the Olympic Peninsula and coming off the Bremerton ferry. Red Lion is usually a good chain, but this one leaves a few things to be desired.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
DoraFitzpatrick, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear wwtraveler7:

I am so sorry you had a less than wonderful experience here at the Red Lion in Tacoma. I just wanted to touch base with you, and let you know we appreciate all feedback from all guests. We have many changes going on here at the Red Lion, including new carpet, upgrades to flat screen televisions, plus new linens. I hope if your travels find you in our area again in the future, you would stop by and see for yourself the many changes going on here to improve our guests experience. Again I appologize for the way our property left you feeling let down, by all means this was not our intention. I want to thank you for your comments, and assure you, it is guests like you that let us know how we can improve. We are excited about our restructure, and hope you are as well.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

My family spent a great weekend here for the Taste of Tacoma event. We were pleasantly surprised with the cleanliness and comfort we felt upon our arrival.
We were welcomed by warm and friendly clerks.

• Stayed July 2012
Charleston, WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

The room smelled badly as did the bed linens. I have learned to be wary of so-called pet friendly hotels thanks to this experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

The room was one of there susposely better rooms. The room was dirty and not just surface dust. The carpet was stained and dirty. The furniture was dirty and poorly placed. No TV in the bedroom. The hall ways were very dirty. Trash was overflowing at the main lobby entrance.
The staff would just apologize but nothing would be cleaned.

• Stayed June 2012
Tacoma, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I stayed here recently during a home remodel situation. So I am familiar with the location, and fully understand that this is the best option in that particular location.

The good: The front desk staff are fabulous.

The in-between: The rooms are decent, the bathrooms incredibly small however, but functional if you're staying by yourself.

The bad: I read all the reviews before I booked, and figured that if one of the frustrating things that happened to others happened to me, it would be fine. However: the bathtub drain didn't work to take a bath (talked to the front desk and the next day there was a pastic stopper in the bathroom), someone (I assume kids) filled the hot tub with bubbles that were very high, over flowing and just simply a mess, the towels aren't very soft, the bedsheets are scratchy, the bed while soft, doesn't provide for a restful nights sleep, or that could've been the fact that the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on around you, including people running up and down the halls, talking loudly outside the building, and even the bar across the busy street. The tv in the room had very bad reception and most channels were fuzzy, The carpets were dirty (but I'm sure that's because it was old), And the wi-fi is spotty and slow.

Overall - it's a decent convenient place to stay for a short period of time if you're not looking for the amenities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Hope, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We switched hotels on our two night stay in the Tacoma Puyallup area. We were so relieved to find the Red Lion. It was an affordable night with a great breakfast, clean and comfortable room, and easy access to major routes as we were attending a fair in Puyallup. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay here again, especially when the alternative is to pay over $150 at a Holiday Inn with negligible difference in the product.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
RL_Tacoma, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Tacoma, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for taking time to comment on our hotel. We pride ourselves on giving the best guest service experience possible and I am glad to see that we have met your expectations. We are looking forward to servicing your lodging needs again in the future.

Been to Red Lion Hotel Tacoma? Share your experiences!