“It is STILL Tacoma” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Murano

You added Hotel Murano to your Saves list
Hotel Murano
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1320 Broadway Plaza, Tacoma, WA 98402 (Formerly Sheraton Tacoma Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Gig Harbor, Washington
“It is STILL Tacoma”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

I live nearby ,but, needed to stay in town. The Murano was previously a rather tired Sheraton. The new look is upscale and modern. Security seems good. There are Museums within walking distance. The area is undergoing a re-invention of itself. There is limited restaurants and little shopping within walking distance. There is transportation to the Tacoma Dome. The rooms ar a little sparese for my tastes, but ,attractive and well appointed. Be sure to request a mountain view as the views on the bac kside are not as good. I was surprised to be chargesd $20 for parking for one night. it' is STILL Tacoma.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Lake Tapps, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Murano on our wedding night. We also recommended our out of town guests stay there. Everyone was incredibly happy. The staff was very accommodating and didn't know how to say no. They took incredible care of our guests and us while we were staying there. We will be back hopefully many times.

South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

My spouse and other family members traveled to the Tacoma area to visit a family member who's in the Army at Ft. Lewis and who's getting ready to deploy for a second tour of duty to Iraq. We stayed at Hotel Murano for 4 nights and were very pleased with the hotel. The hotel itself was very clean, modern, and interesting with all of the artwork. As far as the staff -- we can't remember when we've last stayed somewhere where EVERYONE was so exceptionally pleasant and helpful. In particular, we had several encounters with "Dale" at the front entrance, and he was extremely friendly, helpful, and interested in our soldier, which we very much appreciated. He also recommended some restaurants in the area, which we tried and thoroughly enjoyed, our favorite being "The Lobster Shop"(upscale). We also very much enjoyed "The Rock Wood Fired Pizza" for great pizza (nearby and very casual). The only meals we had at "Bite" were breakfast (both in the restaurant and via room service); the food was quite good, but pricey; meal coupons we received as part of a special deal made it more do-able. My only complaint with our room is that I wish there had been a small table and chairs rather than the chaise lounge-type sofa; we had the bed if we wanted to lounge, but having only one regular chair at the desk made it difficult, especially when getting room service, which was brought on a tray; one person had to sit balancing plates on their lap. Perhaps a rolling cart that could be left in the room with the food would be helpful when more than one person orders meals for room service. Parking at the hotel was very convenient. All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and will definitely stay there on our next visit when our soldier returns from Iraq!

Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

The hotel is an art exhibit, in and of itself. There are numerous pieces on display through out the hotel, I found something new everday. The prices were reasonable and the views from the higher floors were spectacular, luckly I was on one of those floors.
The hotel staff were very nice, professonal, and helpful.
The rooms are nice, a little eclectic in the sense that the art comes from a variety of glass artists of different styles, but work well in combination.
Unfortunately, during my stay the sauna was closed for repair/remodeling. The gym was small and the weight machine was little old and worn out, but the treadmill and elyptical machines were nice. I also took advantage of the day spa downstairs, which was well worth it. The only dislikes I had was the paid parking.
The Hotel is also convenient to a large variety of dining and nightlife as well as having their own. The hotel restraunt is a bit pricey but offers a nice menu and delicious meals. The lobby has a lounge and bar with a wonderful staff.
I enjoyed my stay and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
little rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Checkd into Murano for a week's stay. The artwork is stunning and the rooms are very comfortable, although the A/C unit was a bit loud. I have never stayed anywhere with faster elevators. I was on the 12th floor, and never waited more than 15 seconds for an elevator to the lobby. From the lobby, there was always an elevator ready, waiting, with door open for passengers.

I ate dinner one night at bite. I thought the food was very good, and the service exceptional. On another night however, I went for dessert. The woman who met me asked if I was having dinner. When I asked for just the dessert menu, she literally turned her back and walked away without a word. After I sat there a few minutes, it became clear she had no intention of bringing me a menu. (she started helping other customers), so I left. This was the only bad experience I had the entire week.

I agree with some of the other reviewers that Tacoma seems to be a dying town. Even in the morning rush hour, there was no traffic to speak of.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Tacoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

I might be a little too used to Vegas hotels as we travel there a few times a year, so perhaps my standards are a little higher than most.
The parking was a surprise. Charging for the guests of your hotel to park there seems really shady, especially since we did not find this out in advance. This is the first hotel I've ever been to that did this. What makes this worse is the parking is not exactly convenient nor very secure.

The rooms themselves are comfortable, although fairly sparse in amenities. They have internet, but again, it's not included, and wireless is the only option which tends to be really poor overall. The bed was by default a single king which was nice.

I wouldn't bother with the "Bite" restaurant. There's a large number of cheaper restaurants with much better food nearby. I was even happier with the breakfast I got at the nearby Mcdonalds. I'd call it an "artsy" restaurant, it's more about the appearance than the quality or value.

I wouldn't bother to stay here again. At least if I got a cheaper hotel the parking would be included and much closer to my actual room, and many of them include internet. I suppose in terms of Tacoma this place could be considered "Fancy", but compare it to other cities and it falls pretty far short.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
GlassHotel, Mark Van Cooney - General Manager at Hotel Murano, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel Murano.

In regards to parking, internet and restaurant charges, we consistently monitor our pricing in the area with other four star properties.

I apologize that pricing for these amenities was an issue for you. We do offer packages that include some of these amenities during certain times of the year.

If you would like to discuss further, please contact me directly at the hotel. The hotel phone number is 253.238.8000.

Warm regards,
Mark Van Cooney
So. King County, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Our stay at Hotel Murano was something of an accident: during the height of our recent heatwave, I decided to find a hotel room for a couple of nights so the kids and I could get a decent night's sleep. Fate [and Priceline] brought us to Tacoma.

We self-parked [$15 a night for self or valet unless you get a package] and walked into the lower level of the lobby. They were setting up for a conference, but the art on the wall told us something special was happening here -- beautiful dioramas of gorgeous glasswork unlike anything I've ever seen. We continued up the stairs into the main lobby, adorned by glass statues, an amazing chandelier, and colored glass accents that felt more like off a stylish movie set than something comfortable at 15th and Commerce in Tacoma! There's a beautiful fireplace and plenty of seating, with tables loaded with glass votives. The twinkling lights made it feel like a romantic destination -- the next time, I'll test drive a martini in the bar. For this trip, check in and get the kids upstairs.

Check in was a breeze, then we headed up. The guest room floors are secure -- you must have a valid room key to use the elevator. I was dismayed to find us very close to the elevator, but the entire stay we were well-insulated from any elevator racket. The doors to the elevator opened to a storyboard about our floor's artist and his presentation -- a frosted glass gun somehow esconced inside a frosted pink glass purse -- a fanciful juxtaposition of civil, mundane life and the threat of violence.

Anyway, we walked into our room and found two comfortable double beds with plush comforters and soft sheets, downy pillows, and gorgeous lamps with dark red bases glowing. We cranked up the AC, stowed our stuff behind the mirror doored armoire [enhanced the sense of space], then flipped on the LCD TV. Later that evening we visited the exercise room [no kids allowed] and the business center [print your boarding pass for free!] It took a while but we found the kitschy, overpriced gift shop off the main lobby. A four dollar bottle of water? Wow.

An evening stroll out the front doors and the solicitous concierge offered us a bottle of water [where were you four dollars ago?] and we enjoyed a short roam of nearby businesses -- Old Spaghetti Factory, The Swiss, The Rock, a plaza where there's music & other entertainment on Fridays -- all across from the Greater Tacoma Convention Center and just a few steps from Tacoma's free light rail.

We amply recovered from sheer gratitude for functional AC and managed enjoyed the fancy feel of the glass & steel furnishings. While vending machines would have been helpful [deathly afraid of the sticker shock if we 'enjoyed' anything from the honor bar], our stay was one marked by a special feel of being slightly VIP-ish. Housekeeping was very polite and considerate, did a great job -- I couldn't find a hair or dust anywhere. The desk staff was equal. The hotel has a romantic vibe that I'd like to come back and enjoy with someone special. The Bites restaurant and bar hold promise -- next time, I hope!

If you're into visual delights, this is a place for you.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Murano? Share your experiences!