“Expensive” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My first visit left me a bit disappointed. Most rooms didn't have a view and the rooms are small. I also didn't care for the resort fee. With that said, the area is beautiful and the lodge does have the feeling of an old lodge. Glad to have tried it once, will look for something else in the area with a view and less money. Certainly if you want to enjoy what they offer, golf, spa, restaurant and have the money, this place is for you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here for 4 days/ 3 nights in August. We were on the 4th floor and our room had the beautiful view of the gorge and mountain. Since we had a bit of delay getting to the hotel, we were tired after finally arriving. The front desk were super friendly and check in was fast and easy. From the moment we stepped into the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staff and exceptional service. I have never experienced such wonderful service as this at any other hotels we have visited.

Service- from check in, thru 3 night stay, and check out- service was excellent. From the front desk, hostess at restaurants, to housekeeping- it was awesome.

Food- we ate dinner at Cascade Dining Room every night and loved it. I ordered the "short stack" which is comprised of a large crab cake at the bottom, then a filet mignon layered on top followed by a large scallop at the very top. It was so delicious that I ordered this three times. The crab cake was huge and full of crab- not filled with some type of filler like other restaurants. The filet mignon was the best filet I have ever had- tender and juicy. The scallop was grilled to perfection. It came with mashed potato and had two sauces, a green and dark sauce. Oh, I loved that dark sauce, I wished I could have some French bread to scoop it up. You have to try this dish- it is so good. In fact, I kept talking about it and so the hubby tried it on our last night and he loved it too. The view from the tables next to the high ceiling window offers you a beautiful view outside. We ordered the scallops for appetizers and we loved it- very fresh and seasoned well. We also ordered the blueberry creme brûlée which was really good.
We tried the Sunday brunch as well, which had a large selection of high quality food. They offered high quality of seafood ( salmon, crab legs, shrimp). They also offer Bloody Mary and mimosas. This is my first time drinking a Bloody Mary and realized I am not a fan, nothing against them- just not my favorite drink. I loved the mimosa though and the OJ- it tasted like it was fresh squeezed. The only drawback was that some of the food in the metal containers were not hot, as we had anticipated. I thought it was good, not great, but I am not much of a brunch person.
River Rock- we had drinks and fries here. They didn't seem to have a large selection- I was hoping to order the salmon sandwich that was shown on the tv channel in our room but it wasn't on the menu. The fries were good, my hubby thought the drinks could have been stronger. I liked my fruit daiquiri.
Golf Grille - located next to the pro shop - good simple food. We ordered hamburgers and thought it was good. I kinda wished they had fries as a side instead of potato salad or chips.

Golf- my hubby loved it. He played every day we were there. I have never played golf and decided to ride with him one morning at 7:30am. The golf course is so beautiful, the views are amazing, the weather was perfect. I didn't mind waking up early if golf could be like that. My hubby thought it was a good narrow course- you will lose some golf balls so bring lots!!

Room- very spacious, amazing view. We had minor issues with our AC and just kept the room a little colder than usual so we could get cold air. We didn't let anyone know of this since we didn't want to pack/unpack. There was turn down service every night and they gave us chocolate, which was a pleasant surprise.

Facility- loved all the amenities such as coffee/tea and cold water that was provided in the main seating area. The room had large tall windows and comfy chairs where you can sit and read or just relax. The back of the hotel had nice wooden chairs that you could sit and just look at the beautiful view of the mountains/gorge. We never had a problem finding available seating although I think could add more chairs if they have larger groups/events.

Overall summary- loved this hotel. Everyone was so friendly and genuine - that they cared about us as their guests. The service was excellent, food was fantastic and you can't beat the view/surroundings. They offered many amenities that we really enjoyed. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. We are trying to see when we can take off from work for a vacation here next year.

Room Tip: Get the gorge room- it is so worth it.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our second time to stay down in the Columbia River Gorge area. The first was at the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort & Spa. A very nice place too but we wanted something with a view this time and this looked to present the same type of luxury as well.
Our overall stay was nice. The grounds and views are spectacular and present a very relaxing atmosphere. The resort and rooms are nice and clean and it is centrally located to many of the tour attractions in the area. That being said, there are some things that they could be improved upon, especially considering the price for the rooms.

First, considering the views (those rooms that face toward the river) they need to install balconies. They have a nice outside lounge area with chairs, but not enough for the number of guests that stay there. It would have been great to sit out and have a glass of wine while enjoying the view or your cup of coffee watching the sun come up. Just some finer points of having such a great vista.

Second, post and manage some very common expectations when staying at what is considered a very nice and expensive resort. This includes things like the following:

Quiet Hours: Most resorts and hotels post a time usually from about 11pm – 8am as “quiet hours” and for a good reason, that’s when most people like to sleep. We had a room facing the river that also overlooked the outdoor fireplace below. Ok, nothing wrong with that except that there were people around the fireplace talking and laughing until 2-3am! We had to keep our windows closed just to be able to sleep.

No Glass Near the Outdoor Spa: Most pools post signs that there should never be glass, whether from bottles, wine/drinking glasses, etc. around a pool area. While enjoying this amenity several people were drinking beer from bottles and there were wine glasses left around the edge of the outdoor spa. We found however that there were no signs posted that we could find easily stating not to bring glass items near the spa nor was anyone coming around to make sure, such as the spa receptionist just around the corner. Not a comforting thought that maybe there might be broken glass possibly in the pool.

Restaurant Wait List System: Almost all of your even general restaurants these days have the leave your name on a waiting list and get a callback pager type of system. When attempting to go to dinner, we were told that the wait was about 30-45 minutes. Ok, were in an isolated resort with no other nearby options for dinner except to drive 15 minutes to town and wait there. So we said ok and the host put our name down. She then proceed to ask us where we will be and we said around outside, figuring we would get a pager and be within distance to have it go off. Response, ok, that was it. No, we’ll send someone out to get you, no pager, nothing. So I had the host put down my cell phone number which is what they used to contact us for dinner. Unacceptable in my book. A very easy and accommodating system to enhance your guests stay.

Guest Coffer/Tea Station: Very nice and in a great location, the main 2 story lounge area. They had tea, coffee, hot chocolate and even apples in the morning. Great, if only there was coffee in the urns. No one was apparently maintaining the station and considering that this was a booked out weekend for this resort, another faux pas on the resort’s part. When talking to one of the guests they mentioned that they had gone to the restaurant and had their cups fill which is what we ended up doing as well. Ok, so this happens occasionally, but then next morning the same thing. Came down to have a cup of coffee and it was out.

All this being said, the resort again is very nice, centrally located for site seeing, hiking, golfing, etc. and comfortable. However for the price, there are certain expectations.

Would I stay again? Probably not unless the price was more around $150 or less per night and definitely not over the outdoor fireplace area. Also, don’t get a room on the 3rd floor above the restaurant area, they apparently forgot to turn off the music and I ended up listening to it all night.

Room Tip: Avoid River View rooms above the outdoor fireplace area or on the 3rd floor above the restaurant.
Green Features: Like most hotels, they do a fairly good job about being green.
portland, Or
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This was our firstvisit. We were here for my birthday and were offered an upgrade. The room was nicely appointed, clean, comfortable, and with a gorgeous view of the grounds and the gorge. The bed was comfy and service excellent. We enjoyed the beautiful outdoor jacuzzi but a bit small for size of the resort. Nice pool but too full of kids having a fabulous time to do laps. Very nice grounds and nice walking paths. Smores at night.

Very family oriented. Great for a fun and nice family experience. We were a couple looking for romance so we prefer the allison for that. But a really great place for families.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
newlywed0816,

First of all - Happy Birthday! Thank you for choosing Skamania for your birthday celebration and for the kind words. Summer definitely tends to bring more families to the Lodge but if you are looking for a quite romantic getaway I recommend visiting in the winter months. Find a comfortable spot in the Gorge Room next to the grand fireplace overlooking the Columbia River Gorge – it’s quite cozy. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My first few stays at Skamania were nice. Skamania has a very strong lodge feeling to it. When entering the front door there is usually someone there to hold the door and welcome us to the hotel. The main lobby features a very large sitting area with a fireplace and complementary coffee. It is quite impressive with huge windows looking out over the golf course. The rooms we stayed in were on the small side and cost around $150/night.

On our most recent trip we upped the ante to a suite which was incredible. A huge living room and separate bedroom. In the future this is what I will be booking even if it is just my wife and I. Fireplace was a nice touch. All tv's accepted hdmi input from our iPhones. Wifi was spotty though. The indoor pool is really incredible and underused. The outside hot tub is one of the nicest I have been in. Really enjoyable especially at night when there might be a little rain.

We also discovered they can arrange for kayak trips and paddle boarding. On site they have complementary bikes to ride and four miles of trails which were easy enough and very enjoyable.

In the past I would have rated Skamania a 3 because I didn't think it was family friendly but after this trip I have changed my mind. Upgrade to the suite and it is a very nice place to take the family.

Room Tip: Get the suite, it is huge. Don't get the cheap "special" room as it is not special.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dave C,

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with all of us at Skamania Lodge and love that you chose to share the feedback with the world! Your thoughtful comments will be shared with our entire staff, and we absolutely look forward to welcoming back your entire family. Be sure to wander down to the fire pit around in the evenings for s’more roasting, always a fun family activity!

See you soon.

Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is the place I go when I want to get away from all the hustle and bustle of daily living--work, etc. The first time I ever stayed here I was helped by Shannon in Reservations. I told her exactly what I had in mind--she booked me in a quiet, clean, pretty room with a beautiful view of the Columbia river and mt's. She also gave me suggestions of places I might like to see, and told me of activities going on at the lodge that I might enjoy. She also told me of the places to eat at the lodge and specials that the featured at times that were delicious. It was such a great experience that I have told many of my family and friends about Skamania Lodge--and always tell them to ask for Shannon--she is the best--I ask for her every time I go back for a mini vacation.

Room Tip: I like to be higher up--families with children have a tendency to be on the ground floors
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Skamania, General Manager at Skamania Lodge, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Beverly S,

Wow!! Thank you for the great review highlighting one of our fantastic employees. Shannon has worked at Skamania for about 8 years now and has great knowledge of the resort and recreational options available in the Columbia River Gorge. That coupled with her amazing ability to connect with people are sure to leave you with a weekend full of “to dos” during your time at Skamania Lodge.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

People really aren't kidding when they say the service here is friendly. And it doesn't feel cloying, either -- folks just seem genuinely nice.

My room was on the 3rd floor, and was a fine size, nicely (although not lavishly) decorated. Bathroom was not huge, but fine for one person. View of the river was gorgeous! Wi-fi was dependable. It would have been nice if there had been in room movies, since there's not a lot to do there at night.

I had asked for a quiet room, away from elevators and the ice machine, and my room happened to be right by the B-elevator and ice machine. All things considered, though, it was relatively quiet, with only occasional bursts of noise from people waiting for the elevator.

The Adirondack chairs in front of the lodge are a wonderful spot to sit in the silence and just look at the mountains and the river. Perfect.

There's only an indoor pool and it's very hot and humid in there, so it's not a very pleasant place to hang out. The hot tub and small deck outside, though, is very tranquil.

My big complaint is that it was constantly freezing in the common areas (lobby and restaurants). The air conditioning was blasting all the time (which is especially odd, since they try to make a big deal out of being "concerned for the environment). It's summer, so I came with shorts and skirts, but I really needed long pants just to leave my room. It made eating in either of the restaurants or just sitting in the beautiful grand room to be really unpleasant.

Oh, and another reviewer complained about the loud teen-pop music in the grand room - - - yeah, what is UP with that? Really annoying.

Green Features: It's nice that they give a $5 gift card to be used anywhere in the hotel if you opt not to have daily maid service. However, they also keep the air-conditioning running really cold in the common areas, which runs contrary to their so-called "environmentally friendly" practices.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Skamania Lodge? Share your experiences!