“Solid 3 stars, but no better” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Montvale Hotel to your Saves list
The Montvale Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 W First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Spokane
“Solid 3 stars, but no better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and i got our room practically free through Expedia rewards points, and I'm sure that kept my expectations realistic. The building is very old, but the rooms are renovated and pretty up to date. No coffee maker was located in our room, as advertised, but the room was generally comfortable. We were on the 3 rd floor, and i noticed no noise on the interior of the hotel, but the street noise (especially late night conversations from people exiting the bars in the same building) was surprising. We checked the windows several times to ensure they were indeed closed. No breakfast is offered but there was always coffee and tea in the main room, and the common sitting areas are quaint, filed with antiques and inviting chairs. Would stay there again, if on a good deal, and if I'm not spending much time in the room.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First the good. Great location, nice staff very cool historic hotel, tons of character. The bed was super comfy and the common areas are awesome. Now for the bad which will keep me from staying here again. The wifi sucks not even usable, for a place this size (30 rooms) the problem cold be solved for a few hundred dollars. The noise was really bad, I didn't even mind the trains it was mostly the smoking drunks from the bar behind the hotel. I kept checking to see if my window was open. Also the room thermostat only went down to 68 which is no where near cool enough for me to sleep well especially since I couldn't open my window because of the smokers and garbage in the alley. Parking is the other issue you can park free on the street from 6pm to 8am and at a nice lot across the street $9 for 10 hours. The problem is you have to go move your car at 8am to the lot or go extend your time in the lot if you pay over night instead of using the free street parking. If you don't use wifi and you stay out really late but like to be right down town and don't have a car this place would work great for you.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
MontMgmt, Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
We appreciate your feedback. We would like to discuss your recent stay with you. Please call us 509-747-1919.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I travel a lot for business and this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff was totally incompetent!
There was loud music all night (Tuesday night) and the staff was totally ineffective.

Don't ever stay here if you want /need a nights sleep.

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
MontMgmt, Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay. We are terribly sorry about the loud music from the adjacent lounge. Unfortunately we have no control over there business. Please give us a call at 509-747-1919 so we can discuss this with you further. Thank-you!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Completely incompetent staff. No management whatsoever. Nobody in this hotel has any idea where anything is in Spokane or where to eat. I think they hire high school students to run the hotel. Plus, the battery in our smoke detector wore down in the middle of the night and started beeping, waking us up. The night attendant was some rube who had no idea what to do. We had to change the battery ourselves by climbing up a ladder retrieved from the basement. We were given no compensation for this inconvenience.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
MontMgmt, Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
We appreciate your feedback on your visit with us last year. Although it's been nearly a year since you stayed with us, I'm sure you received a complimentary upgrade and compensation for the smoke alarm issue. Please give us a call at 509-747-1919. We would love to discuss this further with you. Thank-you!
Tampa, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We live in the area but wanted a romantic night "away" so we chose to stay here based on online recommendations that it was romantic. Maybe the problem was that we purchased the room on hotwire, but it said parking was $10 for the night (we assumed a garage nearby). At check in I asked where to park and she said there were 3 lots nearby or street parking was free from 7pm to 8am, but we were planning to sleep in and didn't want to get up to deal with the meter. We ended up parking a few blocks down at the Davenport because it felt like the safest option ($17 overnight).

The hotel was very nice, it was clean and comfortable, but it was noisy! I kept asking my husband if the windows were open because of how loud the street noise was. Also, the floors were creaky so we could hear the people above us walking around quite loudly. But that comes with an historic hotel I suppose.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015 via mobile

Although a little dated... location is wonderful if your going anywhere downtown. Connected to the Montvale is "Scratch" this restaurant was extremely delicious. Nice wine selection and local art on the walls.

If your needing moderately priced room in great location check into this Spokane hotel.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2015

When I got there I was unable to check in because they said I had to be 21 despite trip advisor saying you only had to be 18. She found me another hotel, but was unable to give me a refund. She also refused to talk to my mom about letting me check in.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
MontMgmt, Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you so much for your feedback!

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!