“TERRIBLE” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 W First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Spokane
“TERRIBLE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

When I got there I was unable to check in because they said I had to be 21 despite trip advisor saying you only had to be 18. She found me another hotel, but was unable to give me a refund. She also refused to talk to my mom about letting me check in.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I will start with front desk staff! I am pretty sure we met all of them, specifically Bonnie was great, accommodating, helpful and professional with our group! We checked in and had been given room 319. (Top floor, back corner facing parking, Brooklyn Pub and deli and of course THE TRAIN)! It was extremely smelly, so within seconds Bonnie had us moved and while we were moving down a man was already addressing the smell with a steamcleaner for carpets! My problem with the stay was just the age of the hotel itself so I think that's my personnel preference only. It's noisy, walls are very thin, you hear everything at all hours. Inside and out. I received not a second of sleep despite the very comfortable beds,in two nights and for this won't be returning. Thanx to Bonnie and her staff though we did have fun!

Stayed March 2015
Okanogan, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed here for a concert at the fox theater. First i will adress the good: Was right across the street from the venue, which was awesome. Our room actually faced the theater so we could watch the people and the lines,wait til the last minute and then walked across the street to the show. The hotel is old and has a lot of character, it had nice spacious rooms. Bathroom was large and bright. It was downtown and the Old Spaghetti Factory was right around the corner. Now for the bad: no in-room coffee makers or fridge. The bed frame stuck out a foot from the matress, so my husband and I both busted our shin on it more than once when walking by it. There is no parking so we had to pay $15-20 each night. The glass roof in the center of hotel was leaking because it was raining, and the staff barely made an attempt to do anything about it, they had no one come to fix it and just threw some towels down when they actually needed buckets. Both nights we barely slept due to traffic on the busy street below and the trains going by behind the hotel. The second night the people in the room nextdoor came in at 3 am and were talking and laughin til 5am, I could hear their entire conversation and even after I called the front desk and they were warned that they were too loud, they made no attempt to be quiet. So overall it was ok and I would stay there again only to go to the Fox theater. I might actually choose the Ruby hotel or one of the others close by, but u can't beat being right across the street.

Room Tip: I think we were in rm 405 which faced the fox theater and was opposite side of where the trains were...
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Nelson, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2015

I recently used Hotwire for the first time, and got quite a good deal at the Montvale. I had requested two adjacent rooms, each with two beds. When I found out that we had been allocated to this hotel, I called and asked if the two rooms could be away from noisy areas (I had stayed there previously) as we would be traveling with young children. The front desk agent - Jessica - told me that my reservation had been made for two single queens which were not next to each other. When I pointed out that I had booked two double queen rooms she literally sneered at me and retorted that the hotel would never allow Hotwire to book those particular rooms. This was interesting, as I had my written confirmation to that effect from Hotwire right in front of me. When I quoted back what it said, she angrily told me that she would contact Hotwire "to sort it out" and call me back. I was definitely being told to wait on the naughty step.

A few minutes later I did get a call, but it was from a very distressed fellow at Hotwire whose manners were impeccable. He said, and I quote: "Madam, I am sorry to tell you, and I have never been spoken to like this in my life before, but the lady at the hotel told me to "!#$%#!" off. I am very sorry but she does not like this reservation - would you like to cancel it?" He actually sounded quite shaken, and apologetic, even though he had done nothing wrong.

Of course, I did cancel at the Montvale, which was a shame, and I never heard from them again. Hotwire lived up to what they promised, but the response and service from the Montvale was quite remarkable. What Jessica didn't know, as if it makes a difference, was that I also work in the hotel industry as a property owner. I must thank her for providing us with a real life textbook example of how never to deal with a customer, or a third party supplier, for that matter. However, the Montvale have lost two families for life, although Hotwire have gone up in our estimation - much as we would rather not use them as would always prefer to book direct.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2015

Really great hotel experience. Charming atmosphere, friendly staff, clean room, very comfortable bed.

Before booking however, be aware that the hotel is right next to an active railway line, so you will likely get some noise/vibrations from passing trains. Regardless, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2015

The hotel itself is great (clean room, great decor). However, it is in dire need of a new manager. The manager Bonnie is extremely lazy and I doesn't have any customer service skills at all! On top of that, after trying to get a hold of her multiple times via phone about a problem with my stay, she replied weeks later in an e-mail stating she would not give any sort of compensation for my experience. Her e-mail was extremely unprofessional and did not even use proper grammar or spelling. If you stay, stay with caution and don't expect any compensation from the incompetent management. You're better off talking with the front desk.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
College Place, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2015 via mobile

Terrific little turn of the century style inn. Jessica at the desk checked us in cheerfully and playfully as I encouraged! She directed is to a nearby establishment for an evening cocktail and snack. We were greeted by Alex who was filling in for Jessica when we return and he gladly assured us that we were safe on his watch! Very clean room. Super bed. Downtown noises and that's expected in the middle of the city. Complimentary coffee and tea service in a grand central room on the second floor. This is our new go to hotel in Spokane. I'd choose it over the Davenport!

• Stayed February 2015

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!