“What a hidden Jewel!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Spokane
College Place, Washington
“What a hidden Jewel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Terrific little turn of the century style inn. Jessica at the desk checked us in cheerfully and playfully as I encouraged! She directed is to a nearby establishment for an evening cocktail and snack. We were greeted by Alex who was filling in for Jessica when we return and he gladly assured us that we were safe on his watch! Very clean room. Super bed. Downtown noises and that's expected in the middle of the city. Complimentary coffee and tea service in a grand central room on the second floor. This is our new go to hotel in Spokane. I'd choose it over the Davenport!

• Stayed February 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We stayed one night in a presidential suite and it was fabulous. Large suite was very clean and quiet. It's not the first time we have stayed at The Montvale and have never been disappointed. Funky property with friendly helpful staff. Location is great if your enjoying the restaurants, shopping and nightlife downtown. Will stay again for sure.

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

we were in Spokanebfor just one night and di not want our standy, davenport. we dound the Montvale, and were intrigued. Upon walking through the door with hardwood floors and ruby area rug, we felt transportes through time a bit. the receptionist was very helpful.. we went up to the third floor and you immediately look over into the second floor sitting area. it takes you back to the bordello days of the hotel.. imafine ifbthose walls could talk.. the room was small, but clean.. the bathroom worked well. the bed was comfortable, albiet a bit too soft for me. definately go back again

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2015

My wife and I stayed here New Year's Eve, we were in town for a funeral of sorts, sadly.
We had a late check-in and were pooped from driving all day.
Front desk was nice, cute little restaurant, cool upstairs - very old school. Our room wasn't much, it was suitable for the night. Small TV, thin walls, but whatever. Cute.
The kicker was the next day. We woke up around noon to find no hot water. None. Zip. Keep in mind, it's 8 degrees outside - literally. We had been up all night before and are about to hit the road all day. We go downstairs to ask about the hot water situation (maybe it's just our room?) and turns out the pilot light went out on the water heater and there would be no hot water for a few hours for the whole hotel- well past our checkout time.
We are looking at a long cold day in front of us. Seeing as how it seems reasonable to expect a hot shower when staying at a hotel (at $130/night), I politley asked the front desk clerk for a refund.
I was told she wasn't authorized to give a refund, seemed odd, but ok. She hands me a printout with all my information and the phone number of the manager to call after the holiday is over. Sounds good.
I call the next day and leave a voicemail explaining what happened and that I'd like a refund. The next day I get a form email offering me 50% off my next stay at the Montvale.
Wow.
I call again to speak with Bonnie, the manager. Voicemail. I explain that I don't live in Spokane and that while I appreciate the offer it doesn't seem appropriate for the situation. Please call me back. Nothing.
I have left a voicemail every day for the past week and have yet to hear back. The front desk clerk sounds sympathetic every time I call. One of them even said they would be doing the same thing I was doing.
I have never encountered such terrible customer service, and I've worked in the hospitality industry for 15yrs. This situation seems like a no-brainer to me.
I've never even written an online review before - but that's how pissed I am.
I'm going to end up disputing this with my credit card company, but I'm also going to write the BBB and every travel site I can think of.
Don't stay here. Seriously. It seems charming, and it is, but it's run by amateurs who could care less about your experience.

• Stayed December 2014
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2015

It is a comfortable hotel, but there is no WiFi in the room. It's also a block from the railroad tracks, which was particularly busy the night I stayed. Finally, there's no vending machine to purchase water. So, unless you like drinking from the faucet, bring some of you own water.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2015

My fiancé surprised with a New Years get away to Spokane...booked the Montvale Hotel, showed me pictures and it looked like a nice antique hotel. Couldn't be further from the truth!!!

When we checked in we noticed that most of the businesses around were closed and most buildings were abandoned. There were all types of sketchy people walking around. We were told that we had to park in the back alley and pay $10/ day. Our room faced the alley with the loud noise from the train, the people coming and going from the lounge all night long. The walls are paper thin and you can hear people talking in their room. The carpets were filthy, the water was lukewarm at best. Asides from one of the front door staff the rest were rude, unpleasant and rarely at the front desk. This hotel has no security at all!!!!!! With staff rarely at the front anyone can walk into the hotel go up to your room/ floor. I took my dog out one morning and there was a homeless guy sitting outside our room drinking coffee. No safes in the rooms to lock up your valuables.

The air filter was filthy. The wifi was extremely slow if it worked at all. The room was cold and the vent blew cold air directly on us as we slept. I would highly advise against staying there. We stayed at the Davenport tower last time and for a small price difference the experience was incomparable.

This hotel has potential but a overhaul and staff change is highly needed.

Stayed January 2015
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2014

Our stay at the Montvale was delightful. The room was spacious and clean, staff very friendly and helpful. When we checked in, they discussed with us the differences of the available rooms such as the south facing rooms have some noise from the railroad that runs behind the hotel or the north facing rooms have the Fox Theater sign shining all night. We selected a second floor room facing the street and it was wonderful. Our bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed having tea or coffee (24hrs a day) in the atrium. The location was also a delight, walking distance to shopping (Nordstrom’s & Macy’s etc.), restaurants and theaters. We had no problems with parking on the street though a paid lot was offered.

My only complaint is that the wifi signal wouldn’t work from our room. We have children in Spokane and plan to return staying at the Montvale. It was just a delight.

Room Tip: take the time to discuss available rooms and select what works best for you, we enjoyed that our roo...