“This review is dedicated to the assistant manager - Bonnie.” 1 of 5 stars

The Montvale Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 W First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
Portland, Oregon
“This review is dedicated to the assistant manager - Bonnie.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I stayed here New Year's Eve, we were in town for a funeral of sorts, sadly.
We had a late check-in and were pooped from driving all day.
Front desk was nice, cute little restaurant, cool upstairs - very old school. Our room wasn't much, it was suitable for the night. Small TV, thin walls, but whatever. Cute.
The kicker was the next day. We woke up around noon to find no hot water. None. Zip. Keep in mind, it's 8 degrees outside - literally. We had been up all night before and are about to hit the road all day. We go downstairs to ask about the hot water situation (maybe it's just our room?) and turns out the pilot light went out on the water heater and there would be no hot water for a few hours for the whole hotel- well past our checkout time.
We are looking at a long cold day in front of us. Seeing as how it seems reasonable to expect a hot shower when staying at a hotel (at $130/night), I politley asked the front desk clerk for a refund.
I was told she wasn't authorized to give a refund, seemed odd, but ok. She hands me a printout with all my information and the phone number of the manager to call after the holiday is over. Sounds good.
I call the next day and leave a voicemail explaining what happened and that I'd like a refund. The next day I get a form email offering me 50% off my next stay at the Montvale.
Wow.
I call again to speak with Bonnie, the manager. Voicemail. I explain that I don't live in Spokane and that while I appreciate the offer it doesn't seem appropriate for the situation. Please call me back. Nothing.
I have left a voicemail every day for the past week and have yet to hear back. The front desk clerk sounds sympathetic every time I call. One of them even said they would be doing the same thing I was doing.
I have never encountered such terrible customer service, and I've worked in the hospitality industry for 15yrs. This situation seems like a no-brainer to me.
I've never even written an online review before - but that's how pissed I am.
I'm going to end up disputing this with my credit card company, but I'm also going to write the BBB and every travel site I can think of.
Don't stay here. Seriously. It seems charming, and it is, but it's run by amateurs who could care less about your experience.

• Stayed December 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It is a comfortable hotel, but there is no WiFi in the room. It's also a block from the railroad tracks, which was particularly busy the night I stayed. Finally, there's no vending machine to purchase water. So, unless you like drinking from the faucet, bring some of you own water.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My fiancé surprised with a New Years get away to Spokane...booked the Montvale Hotel, showed me pictures and it looked like a nice antique hotel. Couldn't be further from the truth!!!

When we checked in we noticed that most of the businesses around were closed and most buildings were abandoned. There were all types of sketchy people walking around. We were told that we had to park in the back alley and pay $10/ day. Our room faced the alley with the loud noise from the train, the people coming and going from the lounge all night long. The walls are paper thin and you can hear people talking in their room. The carpets were filthy, the water was lukewarm at best. Asides from one of the front door staff the rest were rude, unpleasant and rarely at the front desk. This hotel has no security at all!!!!!! With staff rarely at the front anyone can walk into the hotel go up to your room/ floor. I took my dog out one morning and there was a homeless guy sitting outside our room drinking coffee. No safes in the rooms to lock up your valuables.

The air filter was filthy. The wifi was extremely slow if it worked at all. The room was cold and the vent blew cold air directly on us as we slept. I would highly advise against staying there. We stayed at the Davenport tower last time and for a small price difference the experience was incomparable.

This hotel has potential but a overhaul and staff change is highly needed.

Stayed January 2015
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Our stay at the Montvale was delightful. The room was spacious and clean, staff very friendly and helpful. When we checked in, they discussed with us the differences of the available rooms such as the south facing rooms have some noise from the railroad that runs behind the hotel or the north facing rooms have the Fox Theater sign shining all night. We selected a second floor room facing the street and it was wonderful. Our bed was very comfortable and we enjoyed having tea or coffee (24hrs a day) in the atrium. The location was also a delight, walking distance to shopping (Nordstrom’s & Macy’s etc.), restaurants and theaters. We had no problems with parking on the street though a paid lot was offered.

My only complaint is that the wifi signal wouldn’t work from our room. We have children in Spokane and plan to return staying at the Montvale. It was just a delight.

Room Tip: take the time to discuss available rooms and select what works best for you, we enjoyed that our roo...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Centralia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most disappointing experiences I have had. Their advertisement is incorrect. There is no room service, not even a soda machine on the property. The rooms are bland at best, lack luster, and bad uneven floors, I fell twice in 2 days. Bathrooms are outdated. Completely under whelmed.. will not stay again, regardless of the price.

• Stayed December 2014
Boise, Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

If you are looking for modern, continental breakfast and great WiFi, this is not the hotel for you. If you want downtown, walking distance to restaurants and theater, this may suit you. The hotel is definitely in need of capital improvements and some loving care, but it suited our purposes well. The 3 rooms our families occupied were clean, comfortable and large. The front desk personnel were friendly and helpful and the housekeeping personnel were attentive and seemed genuinely happy to serve us. It's my understanding that a bank now owns the building, which may explain why the hotel is in need of work and upgrading. The hallway carpeting is old and appeared dirty, but I think it was just worn out. The room carpeting was much better, and I always wear socks or slippers anyway.

If you want a downtown location at a very reasonable price, give it a try. I gave it an overall "very good" rather than "excellent because of the apparently overall rundown condition.

Room Tip: Hotel sits on major downtown streets and intersection. Best to be on the 3rd floor. The windows are...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

From the outside this hotel could easily pass as another dive-inn. Not because there is anything run down or poorly designed, but because the lobby is about the size of a small bedroom. But once you get in the elevator and go up a floor, it open into this beautiful multi-story atrium with a wonderful warmth - dark brown wood walls, comfortable seating, impressive book cases and much more. The rooms are very nicely decorated with the most modern facilities and excellent bathrooms. You suddenly switched from a 2-star to a 4+star accommodation.

The next exciting adventure is when you take the elevator down to the deep basement speak-easy restaurant with wonderful food and funky decorations. This entire place is a true hidden gem only a block away from the famous Davenport Hotel, but a bit more fun to experience.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!