“Know what you like before booking!” 4 of 5 stars

The Montvale Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West 1005 First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
Nelson
“Know what you like before booking!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We booked this room for one night through Travelocity's secret hotel deal and, after reading some of the other reviews, I was a little nervous. If it is a modern, convenient, with all the amenities, bells and whistles etc., you are seeking then book another hotel. If you are interested in a historic building in a great part of town, surrounded by great pubs and restaurants then read on. The Montvale was built in 1899 and is listed on the National Historic Register. It has had a life of hotel rooms, apartments, brothel, back to hotel etc.

At some point, probably in the 80's or 90's, a developer bought the hotel with the intent of restoring it to its former glory. The building was basically gutted but most of the historic and original features were retained. Make no mistake, it is a very grand dame indeed. Yes, it's old. Yes, it has creaky floors. Yes, some of the carpets could use an update. Yes, there is minimal parking (you can't jack an old lady up and stick a parkade under her!) and yes, it is a long way away from being a top notch hotel. But what it may lack, it makes up for with lots of character just like you'd expect from a hotel built in 1899.

Our room was on the top floor and it was very satisfactory. The ceilings are high, the old wood and beams have been retained and the bathroom was clean. Our queen bed had nice, white linens, a comfy mattress and a nice light comforter. It had some nice antique pieces in the room which added to the ambiance. Our room was a little noisy at night (we were on 1st avenue) but that soon died down and we both slept really well. I enjoyed the products in the bathroom (can't remember the name) and the shower had lots of pressure. The TV was a little bit small but it worked and you had to be closer to the door to get a strong wifi signal but those are insignificant. We did take some time to walk around the hotel to look at some of the antiques.

When we arrived we were treated very well by Jessica - she checked us in quickly, put us in a great room and helped with advice on what food options might be available at 10:00 pm. We had no problem getting parking in the lot right behind the hotel and it was safe. The next morning we were treated just as well by the morning desk clerk (sorry I can't remember her name).

One disappointed was the closing of the Catacombs Pub - connected to the hotel. It would have been great to go there to have a couple of drinks and some food. Entrepreneurs???

If some money was spent on the hotel to upgrade carpets, soundproofing, painting etc., it would be fabulous. Still, I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We booked two rooms through Expedia dn had to cancel the morning of our reservation. The hotel refused to give us any of our money back so we paid for two rooms that we never used. I won't be booking a room here again (or using Expedia).

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Richland, Washington, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My young niece and I went to check into the Montvale Hotel in Spokane at about 9:30 after a wonderful day at a WSU football game. We arrived to the room only to find that there was a horrible noise (It sounded like a private jet was landing on the roof). I went back down to the desk and told the desk agent who came up and checked it out, agreed that it was noisy, and guessed it was the air conditioning. I told her it was not acceptable as the point of getting a room was to sleep and that would not be possible. She said she didn't have any more rooms and that was where we would have to stay. I told her I would be leaving (again because it was unacceptable) and wanted a refund. She said she couldn't do that. I asked to speak to a manager; she said that the manager wouldn't be back until Monday (No manager on duty???). She further said there was nothing she could do and that she didn't want to lose her job over the situation. I asked for the managers name and phone number, which she supplied. I also asked her to note the issue on the receipt she gave me; she refused even though she verbally acknowledged the problem to me and my niece (without an apology I might add). I left with nothing but a $120 charge on my credit card and received no value in service.

P.S. There's no hotel parking. You get to pay $12 for a lot across the street (take your risk) or find metered parking on the street.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Really.
How could a property be so clueless and out of touch with what is going on. With Airbnb growing in popularity, reliable hotels offering discounts.....this kind of inexcusable lack of service is not acceptable.
I loved the old world charm of this hotel. Located in the middle of the downtown core, it was a perfect location.
I was on a business trip for 3 days and needed something centrally located.
I should have known something was awry when after a long day of travelling I arrive to my room, (looking forward to a shower and a moment of peace laying on the bed and catching up on the news.) the TV doesn't work. I assume it's the batteries on the remote.... I go to the front desk and alert the all so not attentive front desk girl about my quandary. She literally says. "I don't know how to fix that".
Hmmmm ok. Then I guess I just wont enjoy spacing out in front of the TV! Thank you for your supreme customer service! Apparently, your front desk training includes how NOT to take care of issues as they come up!
The next day I make mention of the TV situation to the fresh new faces at the front desk and added the wi-fi was not available. I count on being able to catch up on my work at the end of a long day. They seemed a little more interested in my plight and apologized...I leave hopeful.
I was gone all day on sales calls.....I'm dead tired coming back to my room. Looking forward to a long hot shower and a little pointless TV and sure enough....MY ROOM NEVER WAS NEVER CLEANED! The TV still doesn't work, the room is a mess and I still don't have wi-fi.
I call the same girl that was there the night before. Her comment: "Wow That's weird".
Really? Weird? Hmmmm well what are you going to do about the fact I have an early morning, no fresh towels, no wi-fi
and my TV still doesn't work?
While what seemed like an hour goes by...she finally pipes up with....I guess I can bring you towels.
BRAVA!!!! Ya think??????
The next morning, when trying to get on wi-fi once again, I call the front desk and ask to speak to a manger.
The young lady who was there the day before doesn't offer much as far as perhaps a better appointed room, an apology, ANYTHING?

As it turns out, she was the assistant GM. I told her I needed to conduct business and found it too difficult to do so when I couldn't even get fresh towels for a shower let alone wi-fi. I told her I was going to another hotel.
She never offered a refund. In fact, said I couldn't get one because I had booked through Expedia. (which was not the case) I asked about a refund for my parking. I couldn't of course, get that either.
All in all, this place should close down not for a remodel, but a course on HOSPITALITY. Get out of the business if you don't know what you are doing.
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a cute little hotel right in the heart of Spokane. Within walking distance of almost everything. The hotel itself was nice “old timey” feel which I really liked, almost like stepping back in time. The place was clean, the bathroom was massive and the bed so comfortable. Parking would have been about $12.00 (which might be a problem for some) but we arrived on a Sunday and with the public holiday Monday we got free street parking. The lady at the front desk was training so she missed a couple of points (like where to find the coffee and ice machine) BUT she was still learning (and everyone has to start somewhere) and was extremely helpful when asked. Even gave us directions and tips about the local festival happening (which was fun). The only issue was our room faced the track and there were a couple of times the train woke us up in the middle of the night but really for the price we paid I lived.
Over all the hotel was very pleasant, old but with modern features and clean (beside for the few stains on the carpets in the lobby areas).. I would definitely stay there again if travelling into Spokane.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed here for a night on my way to Montana. the place has kind of a historic feel to it. The rooms were reasonably comfy. For the price we paid, we couldn't complain much.
The parking around the area is limited, so that may be a concern to some.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

When looking online for a hotel in Spokane, we came across Montvale Hotel. The pictures made the place look very clean which was important to us with a three month old baby with breathing problems. We arrived to the hotel only to find out that the advertising was very far off from the atmosphere, cleanliness, and hospitality that was portrayed online. The carpets were very soiled, the floors in the lobby needed to be swept, the walls had holes, there was terrible patch work done on some of the holes, cobwebs, stained linens, baseboards were covered in dirt, layers of dust on the blinds, and much more. We immediately knew that we could not stay especially with our baby. After convincing, the front desk attendant agreed to go get her manager Bonnie to speak to us about a refund. The front desk attendant came back alone and said the manager would not speak to us and the only thing they would do is put clean sheets on the bed. The booking agency also tried to call the hotel but Bonnie also refused to speak with them. We decided it was in our best interest to walk away. When we went to leave, the staff refused to check us out. We received eye rolls and attitude from the front desk attendant and the manager Bonnie. We are still out the $423.88 we paid for the room and parking. We are appalled that this hotel can still be in business and that they can get away with treating their customers so poorly.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!