“charming historic hotel right downtown” 4 of 5 stars

The Montvale Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West 1005 First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #28 of 46 hotels in Spokane
Guelph, Canada
“charming historic hotel right downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Loved the hotel. Charming and rustic with all the mod con's. Beds were too soft but that's a personal choice. WiFi was sporadic in our room but good in common areas. Loved the hotel though and would definitely stay there again. P. S. Make sure you park in the right parking lot!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Missoula, Montana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We decided to stay at the Montvale rather than at a chain motel just so we could have a historic hotel experience. In this respect, the Montvale shines, as there are not a lot of old hotels like this around anymore. Lots of antique furniture, a floor plan with an open atrium in the middle and skylights overhead, and easy chairs in the common area that allow for sitting and relaxing like in olden times.
That being said, guests should be prepared for the full old-time experience. There is no designated parking area so you have to park in a nearby private lot or find street parking. Also as mentioned, the windows are old single-pane so you get more noise than you might expect. However, given that this is in the heart of downtown I was expecting noise. Overall it is very comfortable and the staff were friendly and helpful. They also have a 24-hour coffee and tea service in the common area that I found helpful. Overall I would recommend.

Room Tip: 3rd floor north side (street facing) rooms are preferable
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Ronald, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Downtown location is great. The motif is pretty cool, it's really a throwback to a time when people used to sit around and visit (converse) with one another. The hotel needs some TLC. Our room wasn't bad but the bed was small and pillows a bit tired. I do recommend getting a room on the 3rd (top) floor. My room was on the 2nd floor and when the guest above walked around the floor squeaked real loud. The carpets in the common areas are very dirty and in despair at need of cleaning or replacement.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mill Creek, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First let me start by saying when I booked our room for 4 of us. I never thought the booking agency would give us a room for two. I should have looked at Tripadvisor. Having said this let's talk about the hotel.

So much potential, but obviously management lacks
leadership skills and I guarantee they do not care about reviews. I show up to check in and have my husband wait for with kids while I check the room. The room had 1 bed and there were 4 of us.

I went back to front desk with the problem. She said let me look to see if someone switched your room. Answer was no. Then came the unfortunatelies. Unfortunately we have no other room, we can put another bed it will be $25/night extra, unfortunately our policy doesn't allow us not to charge for the extra bed. Unfortunately, unfortunately...was the extent of this woman's vocabulary.I did check the room and it appeared clean, but in the morning with the sunshine is when I found hair and stains on sheets at the foot end of bed. I went to take a shower hair in shower. Disgusting.

Furniture, let's just say sit at your own risk. My daughter found old moldy marshmallows in the sitting area.

This hotel has so much potential it is sad there could not be better management. Unfortunately cannot recommend hotel. If you decide to ignore reviews and arrive at night. There is a flashlight in the closet. Check your sheets.

• Stayed March 2014
Spokane, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wish I had better things to say about The Montvale, but the overall cleanliness of this place was non-existent. With previous reviewers seconding this claim, I went against my better judgment and booked it anyways. I will not be staying here again to say the least...

*I would like to note that the staff at the front desk were more than helpful during this brief stay, and did in fact refund us immediately.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Maple Valley, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The description of this hotel was MISLEADING in many ways. I was very disappointed. I immediately told the manager that this was not what I was sold on the internet. I even provided her with the details on the reservation sheet that I had with me. Because I had just traveled 5 hours and was very tired (and there for a funeral), I paid and was taken up to the room. The room was on the second story next to a big tree, and a very loud, busy street. This would have not been completely intolerable except the windows were single paned and did not completely close or LOCK! The room was dirty and so loud when busses went by you could not hear each other talk. After 10 minutes I decided this was a complete disaster! I asked if I could be refunded so I could find another hotel. I was told no and was shown another room a few doors down. Which you can imagine had the same issues. Also I might add this is in a completely unsafe neighborhood.

1. The parking was not included. It was $10 per day a total of $20 in an alley in the middle of a huge homeless area. And big bar crowd at night.
2. No work desk
3. No Air Conditioning
4. Could not use the Wifi as the signal was too weak.

I had to forfeit one day of rental about $100 + taxes and the $20 in parking fees that they charged upon check in! The front desk staff was very friendly and apologetic, however would not refund my stay. If I had booked this for anyone else but myself I would have been completely humiliated!

Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

Room Tip: I should have check Trip Adviser!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!