“Downtown charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 43 hotels in Spokane
Nelson, Canada
“Downtown charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The common areas of the hotel are rustic with lots of antiques and old photos. It is a bit worn and threadbare, but clean. The rooms are newer, and the bed was super comfy. The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MontvaleHotelGM, General Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. The rustic feel of our hotel is one of the most unique aspects of The Montvale. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Placerville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Montvale is a historic hotel, which is evident upon finding your room. Rooms outline the perimeter of the building with two or three rooms in clusters of little nooks and corners. This allows for a little more privacy. In the middle of the rooms is a common area filled with beautiful rugs and rustic, old furniture. It makes you feel like you are in the game of Clue or paying a visit to Sherlock Holmes. They have WiFi, but not much for parking; however, they will plug the meters for you if you wish to sleep in past 8 a.m. The biggest downside here was the noise. First and Monroe and both fairly noisy, but the worst is the train that runs a couple of times a night. Bummer.

Room Tip: A more interior room might not have a window, but it might be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MontvaleHotelGM, General Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Good Afternoon-

First, I must say I love the analogy of our hotel feeling like a game of Clue as I have not heard that one before. Thank you for taking the time to give our unique hotel a review. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us but truly wish you could have enjoyed all aspects and apologize for the noise you heard from the roads/train. Unfortunately this is part of being downtown and we're looking into getting better windows to help block out more of the sound. We hope to see you again soon and that your next stay with us will be a little quieter.

On a side note we do have a few rooms on the 3rd floor that are away from the train tracks and Monroe that can be a little more quiet. Next time, just give us a call before you get here so that we can try to make sure you're in the quiet side of the hotel.

Spokane, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay here the last weekend and boy was I impressed! I love old historic places and I had never given this hotel a thought as to that's what it is. The neat part to me was when you walk into the lobby its so small and private then you go up into the elevator and when you walk out the opposite side of the elevator as you got in it opens up into the main hotel. It was such an awesome atmosphere. When we got into our room it was cute and comfortable. The bed was VERY comfortable- a nice surprise for a hotel bed! They were so easy and accommodating. On the day of check out Crystal was checking someone in and had just offered to upgrade them( they were happy happy!), checked us out at the same time and got our car from Valet. Overall I would stay here anytime as a little getaway!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The atrium area is definitely a pleasant surprise when you get off the elevator and seems to be our guest’s favorite part of our beautiful little hotel. We greatly appreciate the positive feedback and hope we get the pleasure of having you stay with us again!

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Just returned from a night at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. I had read the reviews and was hesitant at first but thought I would give it a try anyways. I booked the hotel through Hotwire and received a great rate. This hotel is in the oldest building in Spokane. Part of the quaintness and charm is it is old. If you like new and modern facilities this is not the hotel for you.

The staff we interacted with were all efficient and polite. Coffee was constantly being made on the 2nd floor in the morning (and is complimentary). The hotel is next to Scratch which is a great restaurant and lounge. All food and drink in the lounge are half price on Thursday evenings so this was an added bonus!

The room was spotless! The bathroom was much larger than other fancier hotels we have stayed at in the area. Valet parking was $17/night with free in and out access. The hotel is close to the mall and all downtown attractions. We will most definitely return!

Room Tip: We always request a top floor so as not to hear the guests above us. Not sure if this is an issue at...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MontvaleHotelGM, General Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Good Morning-

Thank you so much for sharing your great experience on TripAdvisor. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We truly do pride ourselves on being one of a kind and are so happy to see guests appreciate that same trait. We hope to see you again soon!

Moses Lake, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Showed up after a LONG day at 1 in the morning ready to go to bed. They informed us that they were soooo sorry, they over booked and we have no where to stay. They found a room at another hotel for us, by the time we got it all sorted out it was close to three in the morning. The new room ran at a rate of twice what we were going to be paying at the Montvale. The Montvale manager assured us our stay would be comp'd to make up for our awful experience the night before. A month later we get a $450 charge from the new hotel billed to our card. The Montvale refused to work with us or the new hotel and told us we were on our own and would have to deal with priceline ourself. I find it hilarious that the manager writes back on a previous review on here saying how sorry she is for the horrific service and how she strives to provide good service. Whether it be retail, restaurant, or hotel, the Montvale takes the cake as the worst service I've ever experienced. We used to stay at this hotel frequently. NEVER again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aubrey R.-

Your situation was very unfortunate and I truly am sorry for how everything turned out. Unfortunately since the travel agent issued a full refund for your stay there was nothing more I was able to do. I see that you stated you have stayed with us before and although I know you also stated you will not be back if you choose to give our unique hotel another chance I will happily work something out with you to guarantee you have the BEST experience possible. I do appreciate your honest review and hope that you and your family enjoy the rest of your summer.

seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is on the National Historic Register and is a nice building. The hotel staff isnt great and if you are in need of many specifics it isnt the hotel for you. Valet parking only $17 nightly and they dont tell you that until you ask where the parking lot is. Close to restaurants and walkable to Riverside park for family activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the building, if you can upgrade it worth the fee
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MontvaleHotelGM, General Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your honest feedback. As the General Manager of The Montvale Hotel I pride myself on great customer service and am in the process of training the staff what GREAT customer service truly means. We hope overall your experience at The Montvale Hotel was pleasurable and that when you're back in the Spokane area you will give us another try. Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel is you have anything further you would like to discuss or if I can help make your next stay with us superb.
Preston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were booked to stay at the Montvale for three nights, but only ended up staying one night. We had read the reviews and were kind of worried about staying here, but decided we would give it a try. When we initially got to our rooms, they seemed pretty nice. However, we were on the second floor just above the night club. Because of traveling, I had not slept for a couple of nights as it was. I decided to get to bed early, but at 9 p.m. the band in the night club started up and did not stop until 2:30 a.m. It was so loud that you could hear the words to every song they sang and could feel the bass in the floor. I called the front desk to see if I could get another room. Interestingly, the person at the front desk did not seem surprised that I was calling to complain about the noise. There was not another room available to move me to, and I really did not want to have to move everything to another room at 1 a.m. I called Hotwire and they moved us to another hotel for the other two nights. Honestly, we were glad to get out of there. They are working on renovating this place, but they have a ways to go. I also found the floors to be very stained and dirty. Definitely do not want to walk on it in bare feet. I definitely think there is some potential in this place, but it is not there yet.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!