“Average hotel in a dead part of Spokane” 2 of 5 stars

The Montvale Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   West 1005 First Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #25 of 43 hotels in Spokane
seattle
“Average hotel in a dead part of Spokane”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel is on the National Historic Register and is a nice building. The hotel staff isnt great and if you are in need of many specifics it isnt the hotel for you. Valet parking only $17 nightly and they dont tell you that until you ask where the parking lot is. Close to restaurants and walkable to Riverside park for family activities.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of the building, if you can upgrade it worth the fee
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MontvaleHotelGM, General Manager at The Montvale Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We greatly appreciate your honest feedback. As the General Manager of The Montvale Hotel I pride myself on great customer service and am in the process of training the staff what GREAT customer service truly means. We hope overall your experience at The Montvale Hotel was pleasurable and that when you're back in the Spokane area you will give us another try. Please feel free to contact me at the Hotel is you have anything further you would like to discuss or if I can help make your next stay with us superb.

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Preston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were booked to stay at the Montvale for three nights, but only ended up staying one night. We had read the reviews and were kind of worried about staying here, but decided we would give it a try. When we initially got to our rooms, they seemed pretty nice. However, we were on the second floor just above the night club. Because of traveling, I had not slept for a couple of nights as it was. I decided to get to bed early, but at 9 p.m. the band in the night club started up and did not stop until 2:30 a.m. It was so loud that you could hear the words to every song they sang and could feel the bass in the floor. I called the front desk to see if I could get another room. Interestingly, the person at the front desk did not seem surprised that I was calling to complain about the noise. There was not another room available to move me to, and I really did not want to have to move everything to another room at 1 a.m. I called Hotwire and they moved us to another hotel for the other two nights. Honestly, we were glad to get out of there. They are working on renovating this place, but they have a ways to go. I also found the floors to be very stained and dirty. Definitely do not want to walk on it in bare feet. I definitely think there is some potential in this place, but it is not there yet.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Montvale Hotel has vast unmet potential. It is a race to reach it before they go out-of-business. We encountered such things as a hanging towel rack, no exchange of towels for one day and failure to empty overflowing waste baskets. The exterior windows are very dirty. The carpets need cleaning. One day the phone and computer system was down with no record of who was staying there. A friend had to suggest how the receptionist could find us. The receptionist and workers were all very friendly and responded to our requests but the difficulty is that we had to make the requests. The hotel is convenient to good restaurants and the city park. With hard work and attention to detail the Montvale Hotel could be a great place to stay. Right now it is a bargain if you negotiate your room rate.

Room Tip: Negotiate a good price, less than $90 per night, for the Eisenhower Room.
Yakima
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After booking my room for 3 people I called the hotel to request 2 queen beds, they assured me that was not a problem and would make sure I had 2 queen beds. I called the hotel the day before our trip for directions and asked to verify we had a room with 2 queen beds, they said they didn't show a request and it was good I called because they were booking up and assured me again that I would have 2 queen beds. I lost the directions during our trip and called about 30 minutes from the hotel and asked again to verify we had 2 queen beds... And big surprise, we did not. We had 1 queen size bed for the 3 of us. They could not move our room, there were no roll aways available. I called the booking agent at 11:30pm and they were very helpful, contacted the hotel & after confirming that they in fact did not give me the room I had asked for during booking for 3 people offered me a full refund! More impressed with the booking agent than the hotel. Beware!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a lovely hotel to be sure. It must have been magnificent in its heyday. The bed was comfortable. The atrium sitting area was a great place to go an read. It is showing its age. The carpets are worn and stained in spots. Yet, there are some indications of updating. The bathroom fixtures were new.
All in all, this is still worth a visit. The price booked through hotels.com was reasonable. Valet parking is available.
The staff were warm and friendly.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We booked online and did not know what to expect. When we got there we were welcomed by Bonnie at the front desk who was awesome. Check in was painless and super easy. We used the valet service for a small fee, 20.00/day which was not a big deal at all. The room was very clean and the hotel itself was awesome. Another front desk clerk,Crystal, was very helpful and was always smiling. The manager, Kelsie, was not only helpful but went the extra mile to ensure the stay was a good one. I recommend staying at the Montvale and look forward to staying there next time we visit Spokane.

• Stayed July 2013
Camas, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took a chance and book this Hotel on Hot Wire. They claimed it was a 4 star! Be sure and read the other reviews before booking. Hot Wire ended up allowing us to move to another Hotel in the Valley- as the air conditioning is controlled by a chiller on the roof and our room didn't get above 67 degrees all night. My husband got a bad head ache and his noise began to stuff up because of the constant air blowing all night long. The location- was OK- the Parking was done by the clerk that checked us in, at $20 and the laundry was in large plastic bags piled on the street. It appeared that the old pick up loading it up was going to take it to a laundry mat.

The rooms had nice bedding and the bed was quite soft and comfy. There were not enough places to put our suitcases. I put up the ironing board in the bath room for my over-night case. These is no counter around the sink. The shower has glass doors and is very nice! They do need a small table in the bath room- for "women's stuff".

We met a guest (business man) in the elevator that appeared to really love the place-!

We were told they spent 3 million $ renovating this 30 room Hotel! The young people at the desk were trying very hard...... but we had to kill time upon check in-because the computers were down and they couldn't find a room for us. They also didn't know the "Davenport Hotel" was just a full block away with a good restaurant where we could have had breakfast. They recommended a place 5-6 blocks away in a rail car- we would have had to drive to. They had coffee in the lobby, but the restaurant in this hotel is more of a "dinner house" and night club. It was open for Dinner upon check in-however we went over to "Anthony's" where we could see the falls from the outside deck.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!