“Noisy and Dirty” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Spokane
Preston
“Noisy and Dirty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We were booked to stay at the Montvale for three nights, but only ended up staying one night. We had read the reviews and were kind of worried about staying here, but decided we would give it a try. When we initially got to our rooms, they seemed pretty nice. However, we were on the second floor just above the night club. Because of traveling, I had not slept for a couple of nights as it was. I decided to get to bed early, but at 9 p.m. the band in the night club started up and did not stop until 2:30 a.m. It was so loud that you could hear the words to every song they sang and could feel the bass in the floor. I called the front desk to see if I could get another room. Interestingly, the person at the front desk did not seem surprised that I was calling to complain about the noise. There was not another room available to move me to, and I really did not want to have to move everything to another room at 1 a.m. I called Hotwire and they moved us to another hotel for the other two nights. Honestly, we were glad to get out of there. They are working on renovating this place, but they have a ways to go. I also found the floors to be very stained and dirty. Definitely do not want to walk on it in bare feet. I definitely think there is some potential in this place, but it is not there yet.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Montvale Hotel has vast unmet potential. It is a race to reach it before they go out-of-business. We encountered such things as a hanging towel rack, no exchange of towels for one day and failure to empty overflowing waste baskets. The exterior windows are very dirty. The carpets need cleaning. One day the phone and computer system was down with no record of who was staying there. A friend had to suggest how the receptionist could find us. The receptionist and workers were all very friendly and responded to our requests but the difficulty is that we had to make the requests. The hotel is convenient to good restaurants and the city park. With hard work and attention to detail the Montvale Hotel could be a great place to stay. Right now it is a bargain if you negotiate your room rate.

Room Tip: Negotiate a good price, less than $90 per night, for the Eisenhower Room.
Yakima
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

After booking my room for 3 people I called the hotel to request 2 queen beds, they assured me that was not a problem and would make sure I had 2 queen beds. I called the hotel the day before our trip for directions and asked to verify we had a room with 2 queen beds, they said they didn't show a request and it was good I called because they were booking up and assured me again that I would have 2 queen beds. I lost the directions during our trip and called about 30 minutes from the hotel and asked again to verify we had 2 queen beds... And big surprise, we did not. We had 1 queen size bed for the 3 of us. They could not move our room, there were no roll aways available. I called the booking agent at 11:30pm and they were very helpful, contacted the hotel & after confirming that they in fact did not give me the room I had asked for during booking for 3 people offered me a full refund! More impressed with the booking agent than the hotel. Beware!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a lovely hotel to be sure. It must have been magnificent in its heyday. The bed was comfortable. The atrium sitting area was a great place to go an read. It is showing its age. The carpets are worn and stained in spots. Yet, there are some indications of updating. The bathroom fixtures were new.
All in all, this is still worth a visit. The price booked through hotels.com was reasonable. Valet parking is available.
The staff were warm and friendly.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked online and did not know what to expect. When we got there we were welcomed by Bonnie at the front desk who was awesome. Check in was painless and super easy. We used the valet service for a small fee, 20.00/day which was not a big deal at all. The room was very clean and the hotel itself was awesome. Another front desk clerk,Crystal, was very helpful and was always smiling. The manager, Kelsie, was not only helpful but went the extra mile to ensure the stay was a good one. I recommend staying at the Montvale and look forward to staying there next time we visit Spokane.

• Stayed July 2013
Camas, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We took a chance and book this Hotel on Hot Wire. They claimed it was a 4 star! Be sure and read the other reviews before booking. Hot Wire ended up allowing us to move to another Hotel in the Valley- as the air conditioning is controlled by a chiller on the roof and our room didn't get above 67 degrees all night. My husband got a bad head ache and his noise began to stuff up because of the constant air blowing all night long. The location- was OK- the Parking was done by the clerk that checked us in, at $20 and the laundry was in large plastic bags piled on the street. It appeared that the old pick up loading it up was going to take it to a laundry mat.

The rooms had nice bedding and the bed was quite soft and comfy. There were not enough places to put our suitcases. I put up the ironing board in the bath room for my over-night case. These is no counter around the sink. The shower has glass doors and is very nice! They do need a small table in the bath room- for "women's stuff".

We met a guest (business man) in the elevator that appeared to really love the place-!

We were told they spent 3 million $ renovating this 30 room Hotel! The young people at the desk were trying very hard...... but we had to kill time upon check in-because the computers were down and they couldn't find a room for us. They also didn't know the "Davenport Hotel" was just a full block away with a good restaurant where we could have had breakfast. They recommended a place 5-6 blocks away in a rail car- we would have had to drive to. They had coffee in the lobby, but the restaurant in this hotel is more of a "dinner house" and night club. It was open for Dinner upon check in-however we went over to "Anthony's" where we could see the falls from the outside deck.

Meridian, ID
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a really wonderful old building in downtown Spokane. It has been renovated and the public areas furnished with period furniture. We stayed in a third floor room in the rear of the building. The room has very high ceilings, tall windows, and comfy beds. Our room had two queens, a chair, and ottoman, and a tv. It also had a coat closet near the entry. The bathroom was very large. A bonus of the high ceilings is having a shower head relatively far above you, so it's almost like a rain shower. The AC worked really well on a hot July day.

A few amenities I usually look for were missing: no breakfast, although there is coffee available at a station in the second floor lobby. Little things like a pad and pen, a listing of hotel amenities, etc. And the internet: there is free wifi, but it only worked for me in the lobby areas, so you should be prepared for more of a b&b feel if you want to spend time online. The cable was better than most.

Patrons should be aware that they are staying in a downtown, urban area. Many of the areas of downtown Spokane are wonderful and pedestrian friendly, but some are depressed. We had a bike on the back of our car, so we were glad to have the secure valet parking, although we were informed that the metered street parking was free from 6pm to 8am, so it was possible to park on the street if we chose.

We found all of the staff to be friendly, enthusiastic, and helpful, if a bit young.

Overall, I really enjoyed the Montvale. I'm always glad to see these kinds of renovations in an urban setting.

Room Tip: third floor, rear, seems to be the way to go. That's what I was given and I have no reason to d...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Montvale Hotel? Share your experiences!