“Would stay again” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Spokane
BC
“Would stay again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The room was dated but seemed to be clean enough. The staff were courteous and efficient. We appreciated the continental breakfast. The price was right because we were on a shopping trip and weren't really in the room very much.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on North Divison side
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights on a shopping trip. One the first morning, I thought that I heard my Mom coming back from getting items at the breakfast area and so opened the door and poked my head out. There was a man standing on the landing of the stairwell about two doors down from my room. He asked if he could "come into my room for a second" and started approaching me. I immediately closed the door and locked it and noticed that there was no chain-lock on the door.

I called the front desk and advised them of the intruder. As I waited for security to escort the man out, I thought about my mom returning from the breakfast area and unlocking our room with this man still there in the stairwell. I had a 4 year old little girl asleep in the room, and my 60 year old mother getting coffee in the lobby. This is what you call uncomfortable.

Later that day, I realized that each outbuilding of the motel that houses about 10-20 rooms have exterior doors that are left either wide open and/or completely unlocked. There is no keyed entry other than your own room - an no one has to walk by the lobby to get to your door. So essentially the Apple Tree Inn, as it's advertised on Expedia where we booked, is a motel, with many good qualities - but any non-guest walking two steps off of busy Divison street can be knocking on your door, or waiting for you to come out of it.

I have traveled in many countries and for this nightly rate, I was rather appalled by the level of security.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
We apologize for the unauthorized solicitor that was on the property. The morning that it had occurred, I was informed by my front desk staff of your concern, as well as from my housekeeper that there was a suspicious man in the hallway. I immediately confronted the individual and escorted him off our property. Until then, we've never had any issues with hallway security and unwanted solicitors until of your incident.

Exterior doors of the hallway/lobby are left open during housekeeping (cleaning) hours, usually from 9am - 2pm. They are then closed for the remainder of the day/night.

As a result, we have been looking into installing extra security locks for the hallway/lobby entrance and plan to have them installed very soon. The safety and security of our guests is of utmost importance to us.

Again, we sincerely apologize for your unsatisfactory stay. We hope that we will have another opportunity to provide a more satisfactory experience in the future.
Priest River, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

My husband John and I have been going to the Apple Tree for over 10 years and we have never had a room that was not cleaned or a bed that was not comfortable. The staff and owners have always assisted us if we had any requests. My son and his wife have now started staying here after staying with us in one of multi bedrooms and kitchen, they were quite impressed with the roomyness, amenities, how clean the rooms were and for the reasonable cost of the room. We can't wait until summer to enjoy the outside Bar B Q and Pool with our family, but be assured we will be back many more times before summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Vernon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

This was our fist and definately the last time we would stay at the Apple Tree Inn. To sum it up in one word, a complete DUMP, musty, smelly, noisy and not worth any money. Yes you get what you pay for, but trust me for the little extra the other hotels charge down Division, it would be money well spent. One thing we can thank the Apple Tree Inn for is, we all 5 of us got sick. Never again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Guest,
We are sorry to hear that your visit with us was displeasing. Our motel is an older motel, but we make sure to make sure it is well maintained and clean. There were a few areas of your room that were not cleaned properly, and after informing the front desk of this, we were able to clean those areas and offered you discount on the room rate. The housekeeper and head housekeeper were notified of the situation. After you checked out, our maintenance manager and owner went to inspect the room and the room smelled fine. We haven't received any complaints about the air in that room.
Again, we are sorry to hear your experience with us did not meet your expectations.
British Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We were initially quite pleased with the room and the fact that the family suite had multiple rooms for the family to sleep in. Even though the room was dated and doors did not close properly, we liked how much room there was and the amenities it had. As the night went on however we noticed the area getting noisier and noisier outside. Loud trucks were coming and going from the parking lot below for most of the evening, keeping most of us awake as the doors and windows didn’t seal properly. The final straw for us was that at about 1:30 in the morning, the night clerk allowed a group of four extremely intoxicated guests to check in and they were standing outside our room yelling for approximately 30 minutes. These people were put right below us and down the building from us as well. At one point they fell over onto our door making a huge thud and pretty much waking up the entire family yet again. They then proceeded to vomit on the stairs next to our door and the night clerk did nothing to stop this behaviour from happening at their property. At approximately 2AM, we had had enough of the noise and were feeling very unsafe with these people hanging around outside of our door so we decided to pack up and leave. At this time, there were 2 more guests drinking beer outside the office casually. I went in to the night clerk and asked for a refund as none of us had gotten any sleep that night and was told that a manager would call me the next morning to discuss the issue and refund our credit card. That call never came and 4 days later, the charge was still on my card. I phoned back yesterday morning asking to speak to a manager about the issue, trying to discuss it with them and was told he was too busy and that he would call me back by 3:00 yesterday. It has now been 24 hours since I was told he would phone back again, and have still heard nothing from the management of this motel. We are normally not the type to write nasty reviews here, but after being forgotten about by the management of Apple Tree Inn, we felt we had to say something.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back side of the hotel....
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
AppleTreeInnMotel, Manager at Apple Tree Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. Management was not promptly notified by the front desk about the situation so we are truly sorry about the delayed response. We are happy to hear that you were overall happy about your room; we have made upgrades throughout the winter including new windows, new flat screen televisions, and new furniture. We are sorry to hear that your family was disturbed by other guests in the building. The front desk clerk on staff said he did not receive a phone call about any noise disturbances that night, so he was unaware of any problems. After you came in to tell him about the noise, he immediately offered to go to the room and quiet down the guests. We have a no tolerance policy for noisy guests at night; if they remain noisy after one warning from the hotel, they are asked to leave immediately. We could have also offered to switch you rooms. You declined our offer and left the hotel, therefore we were not given a chance to resolve the situation that night. The night clerk still went to the noisy room and by that time they were in their room almost ready for bed and there were no other disturbances.
Again, the management is sorry about your experience here and the delay of management's response. Management was not made aware of the situation for a few weeks. We would like for you to contact Andrea, the assistant manager, so she can give you a full refund. We very rarely have disturbing guests, and we really hope that you will give us another chance in the future.
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We picked the Apple Tree because we wanted to stay for the cheapest we could in Spokane for the night since we were getting in late and waking early. This was the perfect place for that.

We stayed on a Friday night and didn't hear ANY other rooms. It was nice and quiet. The heater and air conditioning both worked very well. It was so cute and tiny! The bed was suprisingly comfortable (we had stayed somewhere in MO the night before for about $20 more and the bed was rock hard!).

The sink and tub backed up a little bit.. but wasn't an issue. We just needed a place quickly shower before heading out so it wasn't a big deal for us.

If you're tight on money and need a place to lay your head for the night.. this is it!

Room Tip: We asked for non smoking and didn't smell smoke at all (other reviewers had issues with this I g...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Castlegar, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

and the reason we do is because this motel has great staff who care, is in a great location and the rooms and bathrooms are clean. Last but not least is the price...... very affordable and not overpriced. Have been coming to the Apple Tree for the past fifteen years and NEVER encountered any problems.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Apple Tree Inn? Share your experiences!