“Sorry seems to be the hardest word...” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Sorry seems to be the hardest word...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is night three of a six night stay. If I could get a refund, I would go somewhere else. We have two adjacent rooms to accommodate my husband, myself, my two daughters and my 20 month old grandson. It's the little things that make a hotel special. Those things are not found here.The Davenport uses L'Occitane toiletries that are refilled instead of small, individual toiletries. I suppose it's greener and less expensive IF my hand soap at the sink had been refilled. Instead, I had to squirt the soap near the tub as I left the bathroom on the way to the sink so that I could wash my hands on the first night (we had a later check in and housekeeping was gone). I also had/have a burned out bulb in the lamp on my side of the bed. Small issues but this is supposed to be extraordinary service, right? We chose to self-park across the street and were given a ticket to use for in and out parking for the duration of our stay. After returning to the hotel late on the first night with a tired and cranky 20 month old in tow, the ticket didn't work. We had to pull up to the hotel, get a new ticket and then circle the block to park again (one way streets). Instead of an apology, I was told that I could have taken a ticket and brought it to the desk for validation. They should have told me that when I checked in since keys seem to be an issue for the Davenport. In the last three days, we have had to get a new key for our room FIVE TIMES. That's right: FIVE TIMES. You need a key to take the elevator above the third floor. So, we have stood in the elevator and played the in/out, in/out, in/out game with our key card. The last key they gave my husband worked for the elevator but not for the room. What is the problem? How hard can this be? We have been forced to stand in the hallway while one of us goes down to get the key corrected. Of course, the place is crowded so that means waiting at the front desk behind everyone checking in, checking out, getting their keys replaced, etc... Through it all, no apology - EVER. We were told that the keys were "very sensitive". Then GET A NEW SYSTEM! I have never had this happen at another hotel at such frequency! By the way, nothing here is free except peanut brittle at the turn down service (my diabetic self says, "Gee, thanks!"). Water is $2 a bottle in the room and there is no way to make a cup of tea except to order it through room service. I really don't need someone ringing the bell after the baby is asleep. And this is probably not the best place to stay with a baby. At brunch, we asked for a high chair. It arrived fifteen minutes later. Is there only one? The same thing happened when we had an overpriced breakfast the next day. This is my last stay at the Davenport. I had stayed here before but this time is different. It is too big now and the staff is no longer trained to deliver quality service. This is just an overpriced option now and not an "experience". A lot of my frustration could have been alleviated with a smile and a simple "We are so sorry" but that seems to be a bridge too far for the Davenport. All we have gotten is excuses and a lot of time standing in the hallway.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Spokane Valley, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

if you have the option, stay in the historic hotel. Although the newer tower is really nice, there is a special feeling in the historic part of the hotel, knowing that they have been providing an elegant experience to travelers for nearly a century.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Davenport for one night on a business trip. Check in went smoothly. I was given a nice corner room along with a breakfast voucher. I requested an AM newspaper delivery to my room. The next morning, no newspaper. I inquired at the front desk and was informed the newspaper would be $3. This was inconvenient and petty. The breakfast voucher was for one menu option only. They wouldn't substitute a less expensive option. The conversation with the server made me feel petty. It would have been so much better to give the newspaper for free and have me buy my breakfast in the normal manner.

Room Tip: There are 2 buildings. The romantic rooms are in the OLD building.
Green Features: It appeared that they were environmentally conscious.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We spent one night in the Davenport Tower before travelling back to Missoula. Our room was beautifully furnished in a Safari style and all the facilities were excellent. As we were eating out with friends we didn't try the restaurant save for a quick coffee and a sandwich in the morning. Reception was very efficient and the staff were always helpful. We would have liked to have stayed longer had we had the time.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hanford, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I were in Spokane recently and stayed at the Davenport. We were originally booked at another hotel, but a friend suggested the Davenport. Loved it! If you are into old, grand hotels, you need to stay here. The hotel was opened in 1914. It closed in 1985, and was closed for 15 years. At that point it was gutted and rebuilt to look like it originally did, but with modern amenities. Throughout the hotel, there are pictures of parties and dinners from the early 1900s, and the cool part is you can then see all the ball rooms that were restored to look just like the old pictures. Pricing was very competitive, we spent $149 a night, but there are additional parking fees, taxes etc. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Probably the first time I can say that the hotel was the highlight of my trip out of town! If you are thinking about staying in Spokane, Google the Davenport (But stay in the old original building, not the new towers.)

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I love The Davenport! Have stayed on numerous occaisions and have always felt like royalty. Some how that seems to have changed. When one pays for luxury one expects a certain level of cleanliness. Finding hair in the soaking tub and a dirty used washcloth in the closet does not make me feel like I'm staying in a luxury hotel. I can get that at the HoJo for less than half the price. The staff while polite was not what it used to be. I am disappointed in my stay and booked my next stay in Spokane at another hotel.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

As Spokane locals with gift cards to the Davenport, hubby and I decided to enjoy the holiday season and christmas sparkle downtown at the Davenport Tower. Have stayed in both the main Davenport Hotel and the Tower. If you are trying to decide between the two, the Main hotel is more antique with vintage elegance and the Tower is more modern/contemporary with a safari theme. Both are excellent. They are across the street from each other so easy access to both the valet and self-parking garage. The parking garage and two hotel buildings are in a triangle each at one of the corners of Post and 1st Ave. Personally, we tend to choose the tower based on personal preference for the modern vs. antique. Things worth noting if you are looking to stay at either:
--Valet and self parking available. The self parking garage for both buildings is across the street and not connected to either hotel, so you do need to go out in the elements to cross the street to reach your hotel. Fee for self parking is $15. Each hotel building has its own valet parking entrance and fee for valet is $20. For the $5 dollar difference and some tips, we choose the valet for quick entry into the building.
--as others have noted, we recommend in both hotels to ask for rooms on higher floors for city views and less lobby noise and north facing because of train tracks. The elevators in the main Davenport seem noisier than in the Tower so also request a room not near the elevators there. The Tower has more floors therefore better city views higher up.
--shopping, eating, Riverpark Square mall, movie theater, etc all close and in walking distance (3 blocks north to the mall)
--Showers in both hotels are big and spacious and come with L'Occitane shower gels, lotion and shampoos. Smells wonderful and not too feminine for the guys. NOTE - if you want a tub, no tubs available, only showers. If I remember correctly Davenport showers are the larger of the two with glass and tile walls.
--rooms do not have a refrigerator, microwave or coffee maker. According to their website, these are available for an additional fee. If you have a family member with food allergies and need to bring your own food, I would recommend making arrangements for these items to be in your room.
--that being said, we had breakfast room service at the Tower and it was very impressive. Cost was about $12.50 for a large denver omelet, hash browns, and english muffin and water. 18% gratuity and $3 service charge added. A bowl of raisin bran will run you $6 so choose wisely. We ate dinner at a favorite downtown restaurant so can't speak to the Davenport restaurants, but there are several to choose from. I recommend deciding based on reviews here on trip advisor or Yelp.
--If you are a history buff, no matter which building you stay in, definitely check out the ballrooms in the main hotel and the historical photographs in the hallways. There is a lot of history to explore in the main hotel. Tourists who are travelling through spokane should stop for a "mini museum" experience at the Davenport. You won't find the history at the Tower, but a quick hop across the street gets you there.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Davenport Hotel & Tower? Share your experiences!