“Historic Davenport, old-style luxury in the heart of downtown” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 South Post Street, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Ranked #1 of 46 hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Redmond, Washington, United States
“Historic Davenport, old-style luxury in the heart of downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Davenport Hotel
We were in Spokane for a night in advance of a University track meet at the Community College nearby. Decided to stay at the “historic” Davenport hotel (we knew the teams would not stay there!)
The Davenport also has a newer “Tower” hotel across the street, but we avoided that as we’ve heard it is entirely safari themed, as is the restaurant, which seemed a bit much. (We also learned that the rooms on the south side of the Tower building face the railroad tracks, which can be noisy, so keep that in mind if you’re looking there. The older hotel is a bit further from the tracks, but might want to avoid the south side of that as well?.....)
We were advised that it is wise not to park on the street for security reasons, so the only choices were self park across the street (I believe that was $15/day) or valet, (for $5 more).
The Davenport had all the grandeur and architectural detail we had expected, so that was fun. It can be quite expensive, but with a good discount, it was reasonable for a downtown location, and the “Davenport King” room was comfortable.
Keep in mind, this is an OLD hotel in the heart of Downtown. It felt very busy with several weddings and conferences going on. And the room was not quiet at all, with traffic noise from the street below, and party sounds spilling into the halls. Our room faced west, so we weren’t directly facing the train tracks, but still heard those go by as well.
The room has been updated beautifully, with many old-style touches. Felt old and new at the same time, with more luxury than we usually go for. The shower was huge! (No tub, and also no refrigerator or extra amenities we may take for granted in newer establishments)
The famed “Davenport bed” was a bit lumpy for my tastes, but we’ve heard others rave about it, and people must enjoy it, since they even had a form right on the bedside table if you wanted to order one to send home!

Room Tip: south side is toward the train tracks. Higher up probably a bit less street noise?
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Sammamish
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We travel to Spokane often for visits to Gonzaga University as well as Hoopfest in late June. The Davenport Tower is such an excellent hotel I look forward to staying each and every time. Their attentiveness to detail is like no other. They go above and beyond. So many special touches like the way the towels are hung, the extra turn down/cleaning service in the evening, the lighting in the room, I could go on and on. The hotel also provides and endless supply of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and handsoap through nicely appointed dispensers that cut down on costly individual bottles and packaging. You will feel pampered from beginning to end!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The only place to stay in Spokane! I stayed in the "new" tower for a wedding in the summer of 2013 and it was fabulous! Comfortable bed, large room, GIANT shower, very clean, and nice bar.

I came back for business for two weeks in January 2014 and my experience was not as good. I stayed in the older hotel and it was not anywhere as nice as the newer tower. The first week I stayed in a great room on the 5th floor. The second week I came back and had a terrible time. The entire 4th floor smelled like a mens gym locker so I switched rooms. I was moved to a smaller room on the 12th floor and the carpet had just been replaced. Right when I walked in the room I started getting a runny nose and felt like I had a cold. However this would go away when I left the room all day and then came right back when I arrived at night. So once again I changed rooms.

The food in the restaraunt in the old hotel was good and the staff was very nice though! Just stay in the newer tower if you have the option.

Room Tip: If you have allergies or sensitivites watch out for the rooms with the brand new carpet! I had an al...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Davenport Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding your most recent stays with us. Also, thank you for the kind words regarding your stay in the Summer of 2013 ~ we are glad you enjoyed it! You are correct that the carpet has been changed out ~ we do our best to ensure our rooms are always being maintained to the highest of standards. We do appreciate hearing about this, and will monitor feedback regarding the same concern. Moving ahead, we do look forward to your return visit, please let us know ahead of time, and we will be happy to assist in making the most comfortable accommodations possible.

Kind Regards ~
Bothell, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed in the tower portion of the hotel across the street from the main building. Everything was great. Management gives plenty of attention to cleanliness and service. The gym served all my needs, but the OZ, a local gym, is around the corner and is a full service gym should you need one. Pillows too soft at the hotel for me, but the room was well appointed and provided enough space should you need to share costs. The only glitch in the three (3) nights was very indifferent service at the bar. Came in late in the evening after sitting all day at a conference-bar not too busy. Felt like I was intruding. Practically had to whistle to even get the check. Otherwise, everything else makes The Davenport an excellent place to stay in Downtown Spokane.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

A wonderful old hotel with up to date standards. Attentive staff, clean and attractively decorated. Valet parking is very quick, the folks there deserve kudos for working so hard to take care of every customer.

One surprise I found was the soap dispensers in the shower reminded me of an economy motel. No bars of soap which I prefer greatly over soap dispensers for the sink as well as shower.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Davenport Hotel , not the tower. Definitely, stay at the hotel if you can. It is a real gem. I stay at 10-20 hotels a year for business. Probably more than 100 by now. The Davenport is one of the nicest in which I have stayed.The staff is as attentive as any $500/night luxury hotel in a large city but much friendlier and at a fraction of the price! The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. One of the best in the world in my opinion. The hotel has been extensively updated since it opened over a century ago, but they kept the original character intact. The rooms are very spacious and clean. Lots of open space which I like. They have a shower that could fit 10 people (not that I actually tried that out) and it was perfectly clean with new fixtures and everything worked. I never use a tub so it suits my preference. Plus, I didn't have to risk slipping in a tub for my morning shower. The rest of the room was luxuriously appointed with a nice desk and a very comfortable and very high bed with numerous pillows. They had pushbutton panel for the do not disturb/clean my room function which is a very nice touch compared to fumbling with the typical door tags.

I do have a few minor nitpicks but they do not affect my extremely positive opinion of this hotel. No breakfast buffet. The food was excellent (the house special coffee cake was delicious and delicate) and the wait staff was prompt and attentive. I had the corned beef hash which was hand made...no canned stuff here. But if you are in a real hurry, nothing beats a buffet. The lamps in the room are small and the room is not bright at night as a result. I had no problem with sufficient lighting at the work area or the spots used for reading in bed. But, I prefer the room to be brighter when I occupy it at night (which is the only time I am ever in a hotel room). And finally, the bed was definitely luxurious but it was so tall that it was hard to get in and out of. I am 6' 2" and it took some getting used to. If my wife had accompanied me (5' 2") I would have had to help her get into it. I had a sprained ankle at the time which made it more noticeable. They had a small sign in the room explaining and boasting about the special beds. I would prefer it was a bit closer to the ground.

Overall, I will never stay anywhere else when I come back to Spokane.

Room Tip: Spokane is a rail town and there are tracks not far from the hotel. I could hear the trains when I w...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is really a great hotel and great value. The service is always friendly and warm with nothing being a problem for them. Having a starbucks in the lobby is a great way to start the morning so no coffeepot in the room does not bother me. This stay I asked for a room on the other side of the hotel to the railway tracks which I would suggest for those that prefer it a bit quieter. My son actually had a room on the other side and he said the trains did not bother him at all so I guess that is personal preference. This time around I stayed in a parlour suite which offers a little more room for a longer stay and has a refrigerator and microwave. The beds really are so comfy and the peanut brittle left by the turn down service is such a treat to end the evening. Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the railway tracks if you are sensitive to noise. Not all rooms hav...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Davenport Hotel & Tower? Share your experiences!