“Beautiful Old World European style hotel--elegant and priced right.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Davenport Hotel & Tower

Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Beautiful Old World European style hotel--elegant and priced right.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

I walked into this older hotel in Spokane and wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I wrong! It is an absolute delight, with a gorgeous lobby, good restaurants and beautiful, large rooms. The furnishings are TASTEFUL old world European, and the service outstanding. I would gladly stay here again. The price is what you might expect to pay at a newer holiday inn, but this place puts most hotels to shame. You get so much more than you pay for!

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe queen in the main hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
en route
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

We were here 5 nights, and it took awhile for me to really "get" what a fine experience the Davenport offers. It is simply in a league all its own. The loving attention to detail in the original design and recent (2002) renovation, the video on the hotel channel on the TV about the hotel's history, the amazing ambiance especially in the lobby and mezzanine level... wow! If you stay here - or even if you just visit Spokane and stay elsewhere -- be sure to take the self-guided tour and read about both Mr. Davenport himself, who built the hotel almost 100 years ago, and the Worthys who bought it & restored it. We stayed in the most low-cost room and found it quite comfortable. While there's no in-room coffee maker, the Starbucks in the lobby was fine. And the bargain ($5 menu) lunches across the way at the Tower, plus the 3-course $15 dinners (early-bird in the main lobby 3-6 pm daily, 5-9 pm daily at the Tower) were amazing. We ate there every night. I recommend the Davenport highly.

Room Tip: even the least expensive rooms are great
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

We had an amazing stay at the Davenport Hotel!! We stayed in a penthouse king, which of course had a fabulous view but was overall a very nice room. The fireplace generated warmth and a cozy atmosphere, the bed was super comfortable, and the bathroom spacious. The only room negative was that it didn’t have a coffee maker but otherwise the room was spectacular. The Peacock lounge was fun for appetizers and cocktails. The pool area was very nice.

What really made the stay outstanding was the service. Everyone was helpful, polite, and prompt. Housekeeping did an impeccable job. Since we were in the main building, not the newer tower, our parking choices were valet or park at the tower and walk across the street. We chose valet: they were very prompt, polite, and helpful. Additionally, bell services was amazingly efficient; we were barely in the room when they brought our bags up. They do have complimentary town car service within a certain radius but we did not use it.

In terms of location, it is close within walking distance to Riverfront Park and River Park Square mall. One suggestion is to eat at Anthony’s; the food is good and it overlooks the falls.

We will absolutely stay here again when we return to Spokane.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Amazing! We had the best time staying in the Towers. The room was amazing, clean, comfortable and just made the stay great. We dined downstairs in the Safari room a few times and each time was better then the last. I'd recommend their happy hour, 1/2 off drinks and flatbreads (tomato, basil; gorgonzola, pear, honey; garlic, red pepper were all great!) The Sunday brunch across at the old Davenport is delicious and gigantic! I recommend giving it a try, but make sure to call at least day or two ahead if you can to make a reservation.
The hotel is right in the city, not a lot of noise but within walking distance of EVERYTHING. The staff couldn't have been any nicer as well.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: 18th flr, great view of city, view sunrise/sunset
  • Stayed May 2011
Wenatchee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The husband brought me here on Mother's Day because our son was shipping out with the Army the next morning and he thought he would treat my last night before I started officially empty nesting with a special treat at the hotel.

I was very excited and read many reviews. I knew about the lack of coffee makers, the plastic soap dispensers and even the city "noise". I was ready to deal with those. What I didn't expect was 1) one low flow shower head in a HUGE walk-in shower. Don't even think about sharing your shower even though the shower is designed big enough for two.
2) The service at the bar. We delighted in the offerings of flight tastings and took advantage. I fell in LOVE with the most expensive cognac and even after about 45 minutes, no one came around to ask if I wanted a single pour after tasting these samples. This was a $ 40 mistake since that is what I would have paid for a glass of what I had chosen. After finally getting the servers attention, I bought this to his attention and his only response was "these flight tastings are new to me". Hardly the over the top service I had expected.
3) Ate at the Palm Court restaurant for breakfast. Wow. I would have gotten better service at Denny's. My breakfast had obviously set under the heating unit while my husband's meal was finished. The deliciously descripted cream sauce for my omelet was barely enough to taste and had congealed and my strawberry garnish had softened and turned black. I would expect a server in such a fine establishment to have higher standards and not let soemething like that go out. Denny's, yes. The Davenport, absolutely not. It does the chef a great diservice.
The hotel is beautiful, but I was under-whelmed by the lack of professionalism with the wait staff. I would stay again and would try the Tower next time. I'm hoping the restaurants on that side of the street are better.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Davenport Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We feel poorly that the service you experienced did not live up to the expectations you had. This information will help us to improve in the areas that you mentioned. We will be sharing your feedback with our managers in the areas that you mentioned in order to ensure this type of experience is not repeated. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, we truly appreciate this constructive feedback.

~ Kind Regards
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2011

We stayed in the "Towers" section of the hotel, which is a newer building across the street from the original hotel. Staff was very friendly and the lobby was crowded with people having lunch and hanging out. A great vibe, and from talking to other members of our group, the Lunch/Dinner specials/happy hours are very good and very popular. Very nice modern big rooms with very comfortable beds. Also, free wifi, they don't nickel and dime you on that like most upscale hotels. The indoor pool was very nice, my kids had a blast there. The Doubletree in downtown Spokane is my usual, but the Davenport is a cut above.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Livonia, MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I stayed at the Davenport Hotel from 4/24/2011 thru 5/1/2011. It was an extremely satisfying experience just as all of my previous stays have been. On 5/1/2011, just to mix up things a a bit, I moved across the street into the Davenport Tower. I had a suite on the 22nd floor. The first night , Sunday, 5/1/2011, was great without any incident. Unfortunately, on Tuesday, 5/2/2011, I awoke to discover bug bites all over my legs, arms, and hips. I immediately called the front desk to report the incident and requested to be moved to another room. The front desk personnel was very prompt and moved me to another room in less than an hour. On the morning on Wednesday, 5/3/2011, I called to the front desk and requested to have my clothes laundered due to my fears about taking "unwanted guests" home with me. I was told that they would need to ask the on duty manager about doing this. When I returned to my room that evening, I called down and spoke to the on-duty manager since I hadn't heard anything all day. The manager refused to launder my clothes unless I paid for the service. He indicated that they hadn't found anything in the room and that my bites were probably just a rash. I understand that hotels don't have much control over what "unwanted guests" their customers may bring into the rooms. However, when a customer complains about getting bitten by these "unwanted guests", how difficult would it be to offer some complimentary service such as laundering their clothes to allay the customer's fears about taking the "unwanted guests' home with them? This lack of concern goes a long way in showing how the Davenport management feel about retaining their loyal customers. I used to always look forward to spending 1 to 2 months at the Davenport whenever I was in the Spokane area. However, now I'm actually afraid to stay there. I would rather take my chances at some of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
FrontOfficeDirector, Manager at The Davenport Hotel & Tower, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
The Davenport Hotel appreciates any and all constructive feedback, as it helps us to further improve upon our services. In regards to the review above, we want to ensure that the traveling public is aware of how we handled the situation. Once mentioned, our team responded immediately to the room and performed a very thorough inspection. Upon completion it was discovered that there was absolutely no trace of any bed bugs. As we found no trace, we did not feel it necessary to pay for the laundry. Hotel representation tried numerous times to contact this guest in hopes of receiving confirmation through a doctor’s note or another method noting that they were indeed bug bites, however, we have yet to hear back. We take great pride in providing a clean room to every guest, and are very willing to go above and beyond to remedy any legitimate concerns our guests may have.

Been to The Davenport Hotel & Tower? Share your experiences!