“Dated, but serviceable” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
“Dated, but serviceable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here for two nights while on business. Wanted something downtown near the river walks. It is right on the river, walking distance to downtown. The hotel is older and furnishings are dated, but the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. Has a restaurant and a full bar plus happy hour. Front desk is populated with very nice college kids working a part time job. Pools and tennis court make it nice. Right next to the river walk. You can walk on either side of the river for several miles. Very picturesque and and easy to walk. Little pricey if you book directly or online. I went through Hotwire and saved 30 dollars per night. That made it okay. Frustration? One, they have in-house wireless, but if you are not near the lobby it is very intermittent. I had to go sit in the lobby to get a good connection. Shouldn't have had to do that, they could install boosters in the several housing units they have.

Room Tip: Close to the lobby for secure and steady wireless.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Upon check-in, I find my room to be the size of a large closet. The drapery is dirty and water-damaged. The lampshades are filthy. The bathroom is so dirty and full of hair that I had to clean it before I could use it. The front desk staff seems uninterested and very complacent about everything. This is just not a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid this place altogether.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
RachelAndrade, Manager at Red Lion River Inn, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. I do apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced upon arrival. We would encourage you to come back and definitely speak with the front desk so we have the opportunity to address such issues immediately. Thank you for being a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is amazing. The front desk staff were helpful and humorous, and were able to put up with us and our humor. It is close to downtown Spokane, and has a free shuttle. Parking is plentiful; there were 2 pools, one of which was open. A beautiful walking path around the hotel. The restaurant inside was just ok, but it was convenient. If you need to get to the front desk from your room, the quickest route is to go outside and walk through the parking lot. Otherwise you'll be winding around and around. The rooms look like they could use some updating, but we had 2 queen beds that were VERY comfortable, and more than 2 pillows per bed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
RachelAndrade, Manager at Red Lion River Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Wow, Thank You for the great feedback we are glad that the front desk staff made your stay comfortable. We hope to see you again.
usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We were in town midweek to spend time with friends and family and visit area parks. The check in was very simple and parking was plentiful enough. Our room was a little dated, but clean and roomy enough. There was a scent sprayed throughout the facility that wasn't annoying or allergen producing for me, but would have been annoying if it had been.

Our room was near the pool, but we were too busy to enjoy it.

We also backed to the river/trail and had a nice little table set up outside our sliding glass door.

Staff was very friendly, always a "Hello!" We did get bad directions to a restaurant. I am from the area, but haven't driven in the city for 20 years, or been in town for 8. With road construction and new layouts I wanted the best 5pm route to get to a location. I questioned the route, but we followed. We ended up driving home the way I would have chosen to go originally.

The location was perfect for getting to Riverfront Park and downtown area. I was warned by several friends and relatives that the trail is a bit dangerous and "they wouldn't walk or run on it day or night". I don't think I would run it at night, or many places for that matter. My early morning runs were very pleasant...Gonzaga to the East on the trail and Riverfront park to the west. Marmots seem to live a little East on the trail ....look in the areas near the benches.

Had breakfast at the on site restaurant on our final day. I don't think I saw the buffet listed anywhere on the information, but the food was good and plentiful and the cost was under $10?

We had the great deal of two nights and the 3rd was free. WIthout that we might have opted for the Red Lion at the Park (but you pay for parking there.)

Room Tip: Our room was midway down the hall facing the river. No problem.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at The Red Lion River Inn. We are Very fourtunate to be located so close to the river and we deffinitly try to make the most of it. We hope to see you return to our hotel very soon.
Spokane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We wanted to go to the Elk Fest for one night and the four of us stayed in one room with 2 queen beds. The cost was $134 for the night and we chose this hotel for the location (close to downtown Spokane) and for the free shuttle (don't have to worry about parking).

There was nothing spectacular about this hotel, it's average and clean. No complimentary breakfast or newspaper in the morning. There is a free shuttle that we used to get downtown but we couldn't get a shuttle to pick us up after we called several times and waited an hour. So we had to call a cab company. BEWARE of the shuttle...NOT DEPENDABLE!

We were in Building 6 in a 400 room. My recommendation would be to request a room that does not face the parking lot. Also, our room was right by the vending machine, ice machine, and laundry facility. So ask to be located away from these amenities.

Checking in took awhile but checking out was fast. For check out, we could just leave the room keys in the room and leave. We did not have breakfast in their restaurant because of the prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the parking lot or by a vending machine or ice machine or the laundry room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us. We do offer a shuttle service that is complimentary and guaranteed to and from the airport and available upon request within a 2 mile radius based on availability. I was sorry to hear that they were not available during your return to the hotel, I will forward your comments to our Guest services Manager. We do offer many rates that include our Roaring start breakfast buffet as well as offer complimentary newspaper daily in the hotel lobby. The Inn also offers rooms on the Riverside for an additional fee. Thank you for being a valued guest and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
walla walla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We have stayed at hotels in Spokane several times over the past 2 years and this property remains one of our favorites. It is an easy, scenic walk downtown along the river with a path connecting to the hotel. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner, both were great. Exceptional staff from the front desk and housekeeping to the restaurant. They all go above and beyond to make your stay pleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RachelAndrade, Manager at Red Lion River Inn, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words and positive feed back. Its so great to hear how much you enjoy what we do! I look forward to sharing with all of the staff!
q
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Have been here for 3 weeks and will be here another week. Stayed for the first 5 days before extending my reservation, to check it out and see if I like it. It's not a luxury hotel, but it is quite nice. The setting is spectacular, right along the Spokane River. Just a few blocks from the Main Market food co-op. A short bike ride to the Riverfront Park. The grounds on the river side of the hotel are beautiful and relaxing, nicely decorated with patio lights strung in the trees, lush flowers, and cool heaters that flame up and make a beautiful display. My stay here in the season of spring into summer, every morning breakfast overlooking the spectacular river flowing gently by. The staff have been uniformly helpful, responsive, and each one I've spoken with seem genuinely happy on the job. Smiles and friendly greetings, and excellent service. The hotel is downtown, so after dark there are reasons to be alert in the parking lot, but they have security and they are definitely doing their job. I have felt safe here every single night. My room is quite nice, two queen beds, like someone else said a very quiet air conditioner/heater. Really nice bathroom. I don't hear much of the neighboring guests, it's quiet. Beds very comfortable, extra nice pillows, plenty of covers and they are down alternative comforters with coverlets, mattresses firm and smooth. Nice, very nice. Breakfast bar included in my rate, so convenient for getting out early in the morning. Good drinks in the bar of an evening. Food is well prepared, lots of choices. For me the service has been very good, very attentive without being intrusive. Front desk staff worked out a few kinks with efficiency and professionalism. Housekeeping did special touches that made it seem homey. Even the maintenance crew helped out with my bike wheel and bike rack. Servers in the dining and lounge very friendly but not overbearing or fake. Been here for a month long work assignment, been homesick, but the comfortable and beautiful grounds, the service, and the cool factor of being right next to the Centennial Trail for biking or walking have made this one of the best months away from home I've ever spent. Oh yeah, really nice workout room too. Very nice tv but it was only on during the weekend my husband came for a visit! But it is a very nice tv, large, and newer. Very good wifi service, reliable and fast. Some of the reviews I've read on this site are quite simply unfair. It's not a luxury hotel. But I venture to say for most business or recreational travelers the standard is quite high and for a reasonable price. If you expect much, much better, find and pay for a 5 star hotel. Otherwise, pick the River Inn. Excellent value.

Room Tip: My room was in Building II right across from the workout room. A little busy in the morning due to...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
This is such a great review and wonderful feedback! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences while staying with us in our hotel. You have been able to take advantage of everything we are so proud of and strive for everyday. Thank you again for sharing!!

Been to Red Lion River Inn? Share your experiences!