“Great location, not helpful” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel at the Park

You added Red Lion Hotel at the Park to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel at the Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   303 W. North River Drive, Spokane, WA 99201 (Formerly WestCoast)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Shopping Package
Ranked #18 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Colorado springs
“Great location, not helpful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Vacation with kids on the way to canada. Great location by the riverfront park which is in itself reason to come here. But this place is enormous and seemed full of conventioneers who were more important than we were. Oh yes you pay to park for $8 here and you pay for a breakfast which is $12.95 per person. So we opted for the "windows" restaurant breakfast which was cheaper but had lousy service. Maybe another 2 wait staff? Spent our next two nights at another hometel, my kids word.

• Stayed July 2014
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that we left a sour taste in your mouth regarding our staffing and friendliness. I can assure you that is not Red Lion stands for and we will be taking the necessary steps to improve in these areas.

Brent A.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Yes, it's in a nice location on the park if you plan to walk a lot, however, this means you also have a long walk to restaurants etc. At check in I asked if they had luggage carts and the girl at the front just shrugged and said , " I think so?" No explanation of where our room was, what the hotel had to offer etc. I paid for a "superior room with 2 queens". When we arrived, I wasn't sure how the room could be any smaller. The bathroom is tiny as well. One of our kids had to sleep in a sleeping bag (our choice) but there was barely space on the stained floor for a 5 year old to sleep. I brought my concerns to the girl at the front desk who was clueless. She couldn't even explain the differences between the rooms, and mid sentence, went to the "back room" to discuss with a manager or someone. She came out and told me a "superior room just means it's in a less noisy part of the hotel or maybe it has a better view ?" When I told her we had a view of the parking lot she just went back to the back. In the end, she said she couldn't change anything, wouldn't give me any discount.
Pool was very crowded and very odd set up in that you have to wear your bathing suit from your room, no place to change there, and no robes offered. Tiny bathrooms near pool were wet, dirty and gross. Chose red lion bc of the water slide, but it wasn't very little kid friendly as it shoots you into very deep water and my little ones got tossed on it and hit their heads. If you want service, cleanliness and a bit of room to breathe, stay elsewhere!! River front park was great and the Spokane falls totally worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments. I apologize about the concerns you had during your stay. We value each and every guest comments both good and bad to ensure you have a great experience. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We've stayed at this Red Lion a few times and will stay again. Pros: The breakfast buffet is good. We like the pools and fitness room. The rooms are clean and comfortable. TV has HBO. Cons: They charge $9 for parking.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great comments. It is our goal to become fantastic! We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Visited for a conference, which definitely colored my perspective. They have a long way to go to be fantastic.

The Good: As others have said, the proximity to the park is a huge plus for this hotel, as there always seems to be something going on. Our sleep quality was fine, and the Tower King room was comfortable and clean, with a great view. Their small coffee bar was completely overwhelmed one morning and the manager stepped up to assist the barista, heroically trying to help her keep up even though he clearly was unfamiliar with how to mix all the drinks. I was impressed with his efforts.

The hotel seemed to be quite dog friendly which depending on your allergies could be good or bad.

Needs Improvement: Ate only once at the restaurant and our waitress truly lived up to her Gothic look with her hostile attitude. My husband who doesn't normally pick up on these things looked at me at one point and whispered "Did I do something to offend her?" He is about the most inoffensive man you'd meet and certainly didn't deserve the eye-rolling and huffiness from her.

As for conferences: The hotel is a maze, and the map they provide is unhelpful. The ground floor (lobby) is not actually the first floor, and following signs directing you to the lobby will not actually get you anywhere - I followed the signs saying "Lobby --->" one point and ended up in a dark dead end only to realize later that I was below the lobby, but of course there was no follow up signage directing me to go up a floor, etc. Taking the stairs instead of waiting for the elevator may get you locked up in a stairwell. It really is frustrating to be at a place where it is their business to handle large groups and yet have their signage be wrong or non-existent.

If you are going for a group dinner and one of your menu choices is "vegetarian" I would strongly urge you to stick with the cliche "rubber chicken" instead. At our event the vegetarian option was a tiny amount of rice, a few pieces of broccoli and three small sprigs of asparagus. Comically substandard.

Room Tip: Most of the people from my group's block of rooms were on the opposite side of the hotel from me...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We take all customer issues very seriously. I'm sorry to hear our Food & Beverage staff did not behave in a professional manner. That is not what Red Lion stands for or promotes. Please accept my apologies and I hope if you us a chance to make it up to you on your next stay. May I suggest giving our dining outlets another go as we just improved our menu.

Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I stayed here for work. I thought the hotel was a great value. It's in a great location and the room was very clean. This will definitely be the hotel I stay at on future trips to Spokane. Hopefully they'll give me the River view after this glowing review.

The treadmills were very well maintained.

Also, the staff was awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for the river view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the great comments! Consider the river view a done deal (Based on availability of course). We hope to welcome you back in the near future and we are glad to see you also had a chance to workout while enjoying our hotel as well.

Spokane
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Dirty towels, wrinkly bed sheets, unfriendly staff.. I would rather avoid it and go to another place with better service for the money.
I understand that housekeeping can't be 100% good, but come on, brown dirt on towel and boogers on the wall?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thank you very much for providing helpful feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you had in the cleanliness of your room. We take all of our guest’s comments seriously as they assist us in providing better service. We hope you will be staying with us again so we can prove our ability to exceed your expectations.

Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel guide in the room says the outdoor pool area is open until 10pm in the summer, but today, on July 7th, I tried to get to the pool at 9pm and was locked out. At the desk, when I said the guide said the pool was open until 10pm I was told "I get that a lot, but it closes at sundown" (before 9pm at this point in July!). The option is a florescent lighted indoor pool that is open until 10. Not nearly as nice on a very warm July evening, so I came back to my room to watch TV. Really?? If that doesn't matter to you, it's okay. Nice rooms with refrigerators, but eh.....

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I apologize that our guest directory had what appears to be the wrong info on our pool hours. we are in the process of refreshing those to include all the proper information pertaining to our property. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Brent A.

Been to Red Lion Hotel at the Park? Share your experiences!