“Working through problems - excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Red Lion Hotel at the Park

You added Red Lion Hotel at the Park to your Saves list
Red Lion Hotel at the Park
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   303 W. North River Drive, Spokane, WA 99201 (Formerly WestCoast)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Spokane
GreenLeadersSilver level
Odessa
“Working through problems - excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My room was so/so but clean and comfortable. I had a glitch in my check-in, due to my own errors. The check-in staff, especially Rosie was excellent. She was kind, helpful and persistant in taking care of all of the issues that came up. She then provided me with a voucher for breakfast because of the glitch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Helena, MT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were coming to Spokane to take our 4 year old daughter to the Shriner's Hospital so when I saw that the hotel had 2 pools and a water slide it was a no brainer. I actually called the hotel directly to confirm that the pool and waterslide were going to be open during our stay and was told that they would be. Of course when we checked in we were told that the waterslide was closed because they didn't have a lifeguard. In the future I'll stay somewhere else where the rooms are nicer and have been upgraded because the overall feel of the hotel is dilapidated and crummy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Palmdale, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I've stayed at your hotel several times before and didn't mind spending extra because I knew you had a nice pool and spa. Well, the pool was cold and the spa was dirty and because of that we never used it and so I'm sorry I spent the extra for your hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a large group of teens on the same floor before being assigned a room. We got all o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review! All feedback, good or bad, assists us in making our guests stay more comfortable. I would like to truly apologize for the lack of cleanliness in our pool area. This is definitely not the type of stay we want our guests to have! We value you as our guest, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Warm Regards,

Brent Ashton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here two nights in the Executive Suite and it was very nice and quiet. The room was clean (except for the bathroom) and the view of the river was wonderful. This is the hotel we normally stay at 3 or 4 times a year but I'm not sure we will again.
I was very disappointed to find mold in the shower and I mean lots of it. The shower drain had a wad of hair on it that I removed with a tissue.... yuck. The last two times we stayed the bathrooms had mold (a quick bleach spray before cleaning will get rid of it) so I guess the bathrooms aren't cleaned very well. Too bad as this really was our favorite place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

So I booked this hotel through Travelocity's "Top Secret" hotels, and got a pretty awesome deal. We were excited as it was right on the river, and in the center of Spokane right in downtown next to the waterfront park.

When we arrived, the staff treated us very nicely, opened doors for us, and gave us our key. When we got to the room, I was surprised by how small it was. I read other reviews stating this, but didn't expect it to be THIS small. We have a 1-year-old, so we were hoping to use the bathroom for the pack-n-play. HAH! Fat chance - the bathroom matched the room. Extremely small, and not a chance the pack-n-play would fit. That wasn't a big deal though.

The bigger deal was when we were walking up and down the halls, and we were smelling pot coming from 1-2 rooms. There were a lot of teens that day (bar-mitzvah and/or prom)...don't ask me how in the hell their parents let them stay at a hotel. But anyway, they were rowdy, and clearly smoking pot. Still....not a big deal. none of these things really impacted me that much. I probably would dock the hotel a half or full star for the room size, but to be honest, we had been treated so well by the staff, I likely wouldn't just because of that.

Here's where it got interesting. As we woke up the next morning, we went into the bathroom to shower, and my wife noticed that there was little spots of black mold on the ceiling. Yikes. Having a baby, that was definitely not okay. Even if we didn't have a baby - not okay. Additionally, in the shower, there were hairs here and there as it had been cleaned poorly. And finally, there was red/orange rings around the different ceiling fixtures due to rust/corrosion and again, not being cleaned well.

We had to run out for the day, so we put our do not disturb sign up. When we came back that evening, we set our stuff down in the room, and low and behold, the room was cleaned...the housekeepers and come in anyway. Now the "do not disturb" sign was on the inside again. Very annoying.

I didn't mention that to the front desk, but I DID head down and mention the mold. We needed to move. The guy at the desk was incredibly kind about the issue, and gave me my new room key immediately. He told me we would now be in the executive suite wing. AWESOME! We headed up, and it was amazing. Floor to ceiling windows and drapes, an additional room for our baby to sleep in, a view of the entire river and the pool below...and we were higher up. Very very happy/excited about that room.

However, that night, as we went to sleep, it was pretty warm, so we turned the temp down. I heard what I thought was the loud AC unit blowing from the ceiling all night. And by loud, I mean it was loud. I sleep through anything (and I slept through that too), but this was loud enough that it took me a bit to fall asleep. But we were warm, so we rolled with it. The next morning, as I was brushing my teeth, I looked up at the "AC unit" (room wasn't really much cooler), and low and behold, it wasn't a fan/AC unit. It was the furnace filter. And it hadn't been changed likely in over a year. The noise was coming from the furnace working so hard just to keep filtering air through the filter. There were giant chunks of dust and extremely dirty lint just ready to fall onto my head and in my face with the slightest little nudge or puff of air. Yuck.

Anyway, long story short - AWESOME service. Terrible maintenance.

One more thing - they charged $9 for parking a night. Really?? I felt like I was getting nickel and dimed. It wasn't even a secure lot, so I'm not sure what I was paying for. The gate was up all night both nights.

Last but not least, we ordered breakfast in their restaurant both mornings. Once at the buffet, and once off the menu. They were both about the same price. That's because the buffet was WAY overpriced. $16 after tax and 15% tip. What happened to complimentary breakfasts? I mean, for a good breakfast buffet, I didn't mind paying a little, but this wasn't really good. Eggs were dry, and the bacon was beyond greasy. Plates were dirty one morning. Par for the course with the maintenance in this hotel.

Thank you for a fun executive suite night stay Red Lion Hotel at the Park, but you guys gotta do something about your maintenance/cleanliness. Nearly rated you a 2 star, but your staff really was fantastic and kind.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The staff is exceptional, the beds are comfy, the location is perfect. The park is right there. The park has a jogging path. There is shopping and a movie theatre across the park. It is a nice place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brent A, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel at the Park, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed your staty with us and we look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Regards,

Brent A.
Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This is an excellat hotel to stay at. They are pet friendly and located on the river by the park . You can walk for a long ways with or without your pet . They young lady who checked us in was very accomodating and gave us a very nice room at a seniors rate. The room was very nice and large and overlooked the pool and walk. There was a few things that could be done to the room as follows. No note pad or pen , some mold arround the tub , sliding glass door handle on out side broken , and a large mess of wires showing by bed table . They could have covered this up. Would we stay here again YES. Overall very nice hotel and staff .

Room Tip: If you are traveling with children you would want to stay on the main floor that has an acces to the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank You so very much for taking the time to review us! We strive to make sure every guest (and pet) enjoy their stay with us. We look forward on welcoming you back to our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Brent A.

Been to Red Lion Hotel at the Park? Share your experiences!