“A Work in Progress with Character and Value” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
FREE BREAKFAST
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Spokane
Portland, Oregon
“A Work in Progress with Character and Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently spent two nights at the Hotel Ruby on a weekend trip to Spokane. The hotel is centrally located in downtown Spokane and within walking distance to shopping, sightseeing, and nightlife. While the design of the structure is indeed technically that of a motorlodge as some have criticized, the ownership is clearly focused upon making the property into a stylish, comfortable, and cozy boutique style hotel. I would say it is meeting those goals already and is only going to improve with the feedback of guests and as the hotel's own stated renovation plans continue.

The hotel is an L shaped structure with exterior room doors, corridors and stairwells. There is in fact an elevator though for those who have luggage to wrestle with. The parking lot is fenced and gated and I felt safe both in my room and parking my BMW in the lot for the weekend. I stayed in a single queen on the second floor above the lounge and lobby. When I tried to book a room online the system said there was not a vacancy for both nights I needed, but when I called the hotel directly the woman I spoke with could not have been nicer and found me a room. The AAA rate I got was very reasonable and less than half of that of the hotel Davenport across the street, parking included. The hotel does charge $5.00 per night for parking which is sort of unnecessary, but if I had to speculate as to the reasoning I would say they do so because of the limited number of parking spaces versus the number of rooms in the complex.

My room was like those depicted in the pictures. It had been repainted, refurnished and recarpeted. The light fixture was new. The bedding was new and comfortable. There were blackout drapes and a powerful wall heater. There was a nice flat screen television mounted on the wall. I used the in room fridge to store leftover takeout. There was also an iron and ironing board in the room. The hotel had information about local restaurants in the room and I had delivery from a restaurant brought right to my door. I liked the room a lot. I did see hard to reach dirt and dust in places, cracks, and under the bed that could have been nabbed with the right vacuum attachment and a few extra minutes of wiping down work by housekeeping, but overall the room was clean and cozy. The only thing that appeared not to have been renovated that I was going to mention is the shower and bathroom counter. The grout was worn and discolored in places and my bathroom counter was an orange formica probably installed when the building was new. Still the shower and tub functioned just fine however as did the entire bathroom. I would call this a mute point however because I was reading a response from management to another review that stated they are presently renovating all of the bathrooms in the building and have finished half of the rooms already. I merely must have just stayed in a room still on the list yet to be tackled. So, other than perhaps being a little more meticulous and detailed in their dusting and vacuuming I really had no complaints about my room whatsoever. The bed was comfortable and I slept deeply. Some reviewers have complained of noise from the lounge. In my case I actually stayed directly above the lounge. I was woken up once by loud shouting in the parking lot, but it quickly ended. Also, to be fair I had gone to sleep very early(The noise was at ten o'clock) due to business I had the following morning on Saturday. I would say if you are concerned about noise simply request a room on the opposite side of the complex away from the lounge. If I could offer one area of improvement to the management for the rooms it would be to provide dvd players, movie channels, and/or the option to purchase pay per view movies in the rooms. My room had cable, but it had no movie channels and only a small selection of basic channels at all.

Some reviewers have complained of sketchy characters in the lounge and the parking lot. I neither encountered nor saw any of this and believe me I am highly vigilent of such when I travel. I am a young, lean framed, gay hipster with piercings, tattoos and an outspoken manner of dress driving an expensive foreign car, I can easily be a target if I am not prudent. I never felt unsafe at the hotel. I even returned to the hotel at two a.m. on foot one evening and saw nothing. Yes, I saw transients on the streets of downtown Spokane at that hour, but nobody near the hotel or on the property. I drank in the lounge and enjoyed their mixed drinks on the menu. The bartender was nice and I found most of the characters I encountered to be merely hotel guests. There is a complimentary breakfast in the lounge every morning that does not have hot items such as scrambled eggs and bacon, but has everything else you might want. I enjoyed making waffles and sipping coffee.

In the end, other than constructive criticism about the bathrooms, which the hotel is already addressing and vigilent vacuuming I have no complaints about the Hotel Ruby. The staff were friendly and kind. The room was cute and cozy with character. I would recommend expanded television options. I would also suggest the hotel find a space to put in a small but well equipped fitness center. It would benefit from both of these suggestions substantially. For the amenities offered and the central location, at less than one hundred dollar per night, the Hotel Ruby really should be on your short list of considered hotels when visiting Spokane. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Just came back from a weekend trip to Spokane and stayed at Hotel Ruby, which is very centrally located in downtown, within walking distance from everything, especially shopping centers, restaurants, and the Riverside Park where there are great attractions such as the Spokane falls. The hotel room has obviously been renovated, with red walls, nice fixtures and has a clean, modern feel. There is a microwave in the room, but unfortunately no coffee maker. Even though it's a motel which open access, I didn't feel unsafe, but was woken up at early hours of the morning by neighbors' visitors who were pounding on their doors. Breakfast offers a good variety, and despite being labelled continental, offers hard boiled eggs and waffles, beyond the usual toast and juice that's associated with continental. They also offer toiletries in case you forgot to bring yours, which I did so that was a nice amenity. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This place isn't a hotel. It's a motel. The stairs are rickety and not even. My companion's door was wide open upon arrival. The rooms were fairly clean and updated but bathtubs had not been redone. The characters in the bar were rough looking and we saw people in corners outside doing drugs. People partied outside and 'ladies of the night ' were clearly trying to get customers. We saw one woman in the bar near the entrance to motel exposing her breasts. The motel offers complimentary ear plugs- what does that tell you? After having a drink in the bar we decided not to stay and left our already booked and paid for rooms and went to the Davenport. At 1 am. I've lived in large crime ridden cities and stayed in different places and types of hotels in other parts of the world. This motel is not as advertised, not relaxing and does not appear safe.

• Stayed April 2013
AnnyGold, Manager at Hotel Ruby, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are terribly sorry that you felt this way! We have 24 hour staff at our front desk as well as monitored surveillance cameras. Our courtyard into the hotel has a gate that is closed at 10pm, all designed with the goal of safety and comfort for our guests. Our bar staff is trained to spot "ladies of the night", and they certainly aren't allowed to work on our property in our tiny, cozy bar!
We have updated the rooms, and are still working on the bathrooms! We have finished our complete remodel of approximately 1/2 of the bathrooms. All of our new bathrooms have walk in glass showers and the walls and floors are tiled. You could certainly request one of those if you ever decide to try us again!
Yes, we offer complimentary earplugs as a courtesy to our guests, as well as complimentary toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs and even bicycles!
Again, we are truly sorry that you weren't comfortable here. Best regards, Anny
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is right in the heart of downtown, just blocks from Riverside Park, library, courthouse, easy access to shopping and many restaurants. The bed was wonderful, soft fluffy towels, great pillows. Staff was helpful and friendly. They provided a coupon for drinks - buyone, geton free, from the attached small bar. Continental breakfast provided. Cable TV, large modern shower. I would definitely stay here again if I needed to b ein Spokane.

Bremerton, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This has been my favorite place to stay downtown for years. I like the fact that it is accessible to the night life in the downtown area. The staff has always been helpful. Recently they have begun taking out the old bathtubs and put in walking showers. It is a needed practical improvement. I would recommend calling a head of time, a week or two. I used to be able to just come over and stop in and get a room but their improvements over the years have made this a popular place to stay.

Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spent a Tuesday night here. My room was directly over the bar. Partying well past bar closure at midnight. I think I got to sleep around 2:30. Between the loud partying in the bar, partying/yelling in the parking lot, and my lovely next-door neighbor who kept pounding on his door b/c his girlfriend wouldn't let him in, I think I got three hours sleep. Oh, and there's a train that runs by it as well. The one redeeming quality is that the beds are nice and comfortable. Nonetheless, I won't be back.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 101-108 and 201-208 if you don't want to be by the bar.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We booked this for the last night of an Idaho ski trip before flying out of Spokane in the morning. We got there mid afternoon and check-in was smooth and we got a parking spot. I ran through downtown a few blocks to the Centennial trail and the views of the rapids of the Spokane River. We stopped down at the bar off the lobby and it was great. Easy one block walk to the Steamplant for dinner. We had one of the "view" rooms which wasn't a great view but not the next building across the alley. It was right across from the elevator but I was surprised that we didn't hear much noise. Don't expect a luxury room at this price, but it was clean and bright new paint covered any ugliness.

In the morning we found that our flight was cancelled due to Denver weather and we couldn't get out until the next day. Went downstairs and had no problem rebooking the same room. Had their free breakfast. Not a great selection but they had the waffles I always enjoy. Went for another run, walked to the mall and saw an Imax movie, and ate lunch and dinner downtown. Never had to move the car. I saw someone else who couldn't get their car out because they were against a pillar and the next car had parked crooked, and the front desk clerk seemed like he was going to be helpful to find the other car owner to move it. A big SUV might have trouble parking here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Ruby? Share your experiences!