“Not Quite There Yet” 3 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Ruby to your Saves list
Hotel Ruby
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   901 West 1st Avenue, Spokane, WA 99201   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #14 of 43 hotels in Spokane
Spokane, Washington
“Not Quite There Yet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Hotel Ruby for our anniversary and wanted to try somewhere new, and the rates are reasonable. We settled on Hotel Ruby, which used to be the Rodeway Inn. According to the pictures on their website, it has been remodeled to be a funky, modern boutique hotel. We reserved a King Suite

First impressions: the room had an odd smell, but was clean. While they painted accent walls red and updated the artwork and furniture, the overall look of the room was tired. The pictures of the rooms on their website are slightly misleading. The carpet was frayed and most likely not updated from when the hotel was the Rodeway Inn, and the ceiling and walls were in need of repair. Our room, being a suite, was bigger than the standard rooms. There are two couches and a king-sized bed, and the space was ample. There is a min-fridge and a microwave, but there was not a coffeemaker as listed in a brochure. The bed was really comfortable, though, and offered a good night's sleep.

Staff was perfunctory.

We did have a couple of drinks in the attached bar, the Sapphire Lounge. The bartender. Kelsey, was friendly and knowledgeable about the subtle differences of the different brands of liquors. She even let us have a smell and taste to explain to us the nuances. I would give her an A+ for service.

Overall, our stay was adequate for one night, but we probably won't return. For about the same price as our room, we could stay at a better quality hotel such as the Hotel Lusso or the Davenport Towers. We'd definitely return to the lounge, though.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
AnnyGold, Manager at Hotel Ruby, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn't top notch, and especially that the staff was "perfunctory". We strive to be friendly and hospitable in all areas of the hotel. If you have any specific feedback about the staff I would love to receive it at agold@hotelrubyspokane.com as I always address issues right away. I'm surprised to hear that you thought the pictures online were misleading, as I have so many people tell me otherwise! Yes, every carpet in the hotel has been replaced, but unfortunately there was damage to the carpet in that suite that we are fixing. Additionally, we will be updating all of our bathrooms this winter which we are very excited about! We hope you can come back and see us again after that improvement. I am glad to hear you enjoyed Kelsi, she is a sweetheart! As for our pricing, I think if you take a closer look you will find our value unbeatable as we only charge $5 for parking (unheard of downtown!) and we do feature a nice continental breakfast with the price of the room. Again, thank you for trying us out and let me know if there is anything I can do for you to make things right! Warm regards, Anny

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Richland, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My sweet spouse and I recently spent the night at the Hotel Ruby in Spokane and were impressed with so much...starting with the check-in. The manager had everything ready, we received a drink voucher for the Sapphire Lounge, and he was so helpful with helping us select a restaurant. Our room was on the upper floor and clean and cute...but lots smaller than the website photos would lead one to believe! But the bed was comfortable and the down duvet type coverlets were a pleasant surprise. The bathroom was on the small size, and we could have used a few more towels, but for the excellent price we paid, a small feature we could over look. The central location is incredibly convenient...across the street from the Knitting Factory and The Fox Theater, and just one block from the Bing Crosby Theater and we were happy with how little noise from the street we had. Really, a great deal for the money...we'll be back!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by the Ruby. It is a recently remodeled old hotel right in downtown with a lot of hipster character. Lots of good stuff (restaurants and bars) within walking distance. Most of my comments are positive: My room was clean, the staff was friendly, continental breakfast was above average (they have a waffle maker), and I received a free drink coupon for the Sapphire Lounge (downstairs) when I checked in. The bar is a little swanky for my taste, but prices were on-par with competitors, and the bartenders were very good. My only complaints: The room was a little small, and there was a bit of noise from the street at night (bar crowds). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sequim, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

LOVED this place!!!!! Very good value for the money!!!!!!
Everything is high tech and updated with 3-D tvs with full basic cable, 5 wifi ports, and a very boutique decor! Also, be careful about your "keycard", it's about the size of a SD chip so it can get lost in your packet very easily!
The beds were super comfy, and it really was an adorable hotel! They have a fridge and microwave, perfect for leftovers or something. The bathrooms are a bit small, but totally updated (with a kick-butt rain showerhead) and workable.
The staff was very nice and charming, with a sense of humour to boot!!!
The only things that I didn't like was things they could not control. The walls ARE thin, so if you're a very light sleeper; bring earplugs. The trains do start running at about 8am or so, not obscenely early, but if you wanna sleep in till noon it'll be a bit difficult lol!!! Also, it's kinda at the edge of town, so there aren't a lot or restaurants in walking distance. But Spokane is very easy to navigate, so it's not a big deal. The parking lot sucks. Plain and simple. Very small and oddly shaped. They do have multiple overflow lots though.
All in all, a place I'd totally stay at again!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Hotel and rooms are much nicer on website than in person. Comfortable beds and low price, but VERY noisy. You can hear every footstep around you, train and cars. Could hear phone conversation of someone above us!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hotel Ruby on a Saturday night in mid-September and had a wonderful time! The guy that helped check us in was courteous and quick. Helped us find the parking (across the street in an overflow lot - not a problem at all; super cheap at $5), showed us a few places to go out for the night... etc.

The room was immaculate! Loved the red decor and simple room setup. The bed was comfortable, flat screen TV a nice bonus... all in all, pretty great. Definitely take a trip down to the lounge - you'll fully appreciate how they turn it into a continental breakfast in the morning, too!

I was SHOCKED at the rate as well - seemed like an amazing deal for a perfect location!

All in all, we agreed this would be our place to stay if we were ever in Spokane again. Absolutely recommend it.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor, near the corner away from the street. But I doubt anything would...