“Expected more from an HIX” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 43 hotels in Spokane
Missoula, Montana
“Expected more from an HIX”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We were a bit shocked when we pulled into the parking lot to find the hotel was under construction and we had never been informed in our numerous conversations about our room. A room has been converted into the "lobby" it was crowded and uncomfortable to stand in with a bunch of other guests waiting. Our room is nice; however, this hotel is very loud, we could hear people walking above us all night long. In addition, since the hotel was under construction, they moved the breakfast to a couple of regular hotel rooms, which was again congested. We have a child and there was no high chair to be found...ended up going out to breakfast just to avoid the pain the butt of the breakfast buffet here. As I stated above, I expect more quality control from an HIX or at least informing the guest of the status of the hotel. Honestly had we known the hotel was under construction we would have preferred to stay at another location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! I am so sorry about the congestion you experienced in the breakfast bar area. With the expansion of our lobby and breakfast bar/dining area, we had to temporarily relocate the breakfast bar and dining area to guest rooms. We have done our best to open them up to provide as much flow as possible and still accommodate our guests. Most of the time, the flow works well. I hope that you will give us another chance to impress you once our project is completed. Thank you for sharing.

199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is a DUMP!! As a priority club member, I was expecting consistency. As I have learned, not all HIE are created equal. The hotel has remodeled its exterior leaving the visitor to believe the hotel is new. This place is old old old. I was not told of the renovation underway. There is no lobby to speak of - just a desk area with flourescent lights in a converted side entrance to the hotel.

The rooms are small. I have one word about the bathrooms - bathfitter. Cheap bandaid of a remodel. The hotel is an old building and you can hear EVERYTHING in the room above and in the hallways. I don't need to know how often other guests use the toilet! Details like the ice buckets and trash cans reek of hospital tan plastic. The elevator is dirty and almost always had something spilled during my two night stay. The hallways are missing baseboards (I understand they are putting in new carpet and was told it was only on floors 3 and 4- but as I ventured to floor 2 - missing basboards again exposing the glue tracks and dirty carpet).

There are no "grounds" to this hotel as it is built on a hillside. They even have bench seating with trees overgrown on and around them. How old is this place??? The killer was the rate this past weekend. $169.00/night. To think that I chose not to stay at the Davenport for fear the rooms would be too old. I am the fool.

Things that saved the weekend: The staff - far superior than the hotel merits. If only they knew what a decent hotel looked like - they would not have been so surprised when I voiced my opinions of the hotel. The parkside Red Lion was almost across the street. This place was like an oasis when I ventured out for take out. Their rate last weekend, $129.00.

I was offered $20 off my next stay at the same location! I would NEVER NEVER NEVER stay at this location again. Red Lion would get my business in a heartbeat.

I travel multiple times a month for business and this is my first review. I am sad as I write this and hate to insult an establishment but the website is a lie. Even when the new lobby is built, the rooms will still be below standard for a mid-range hotel.

Take heed travelers.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear C B,
I am so sorry that you felt that way about your stay. We really are nice people and we really do have a great property and an awesome location. Unfortunately, we can't snap our fingers and have all the property improvements done in a snap. Believe me, if it was that easy, I would have done it by now. There are a lot of people involved in the renovation and we are all working towards an incredible lobby and breakfast bar area. We are also replacing wall vinyl and carpet in the hallways! We are doing all these improvements for guests just like yourself. If we didn't care about you, our valued guest, we wouldn't be working on this project. Again, I am sorry that your experience here was not what you expected. If you would like to call me, I would be glad to discuss these issue with you. Thank you for staying with us, and I hope that you will give us another chance to win your loyalty once this project is complete. Sincerely, Lori
helena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

For my daughter's university graduation my whole family stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Spokane, Washington. The room was very clean, the staff particularly helpful, and the location perfect. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony looking toward the South Hills area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for the recent graduation. And congratulations to your daughter for that accomplishment! We are all proud of her and the other graduates of 2013! What a joyous time for all graduates and their families. We hope to be a part of that by providing superior service and comfortable accommodations. Please come stay with us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Overall the stay was great. The hotel is clean and quiet, the staff is friendly, and upon checking in all Priority Club members are given a water bottle and snack. However, they are adding on to the hotel and due to the construction, parking is a nightmare! I was blocked into my spot by a car who just parked in the middle of the driveway because there was no where else to park. The staff was great though and we're able to help get me out and on my way! While construction is happening I would recommend parking in their lower lot, farther away from the lobby but easier to come as go as you please.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us! And thank you so much for your patience and understanding during our expansion. We are really looking forward to the completion of the project later this summer. In the meantime, we are doing our best to accommodate everyone and their parking needs. My staff is trained to do whatever it takes to make our guests happy. Thank you for sharing and I would like to invite you back to share the new lobby and breakfast bar a little later this year!
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Was just in Spokane for Bloomsday, which meant every hotel in the city is sold out.

As has been mentioned the hotel is being expanded and renovated. It will be nice for everyone when that is complete. The room was clean and it's nice that they have a selection of pillow types in the room.

The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. A nice touch that they had ice chests of free bottled water for all the runners after the big race (it was a hot day and we needed the H2O).

The breakfast area was swamped but I don't imagine they normally have every room booked on a Saturday night with every guest needing to be at the same place at the same time. We got our breakfast and ate in our room, not a big deal.. the area had two staff members working to make sure the food stayed stocked.

Once the renovations are complete it would be a nice option for the mid level traveler.

I only wish there was a sidewalk to the street, it isn't very pedestrian friendly from the top of the rock to the street...

Room Tip: Rooms facing north have balconies and would have a view of the city... we had a view of the title co...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us on this very busy weekend. One never knows what kind of weather they will encounter on Bloomsday. Thankfully this one turned out to be extremely nice! Next year, all the construction wil be done and looking great! Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope that you will come back and stay with us again!
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

This hotel is being renovated but it was nice, clean, and quiet. The Staff was very friendly and helpful. the breakfast room was a but crowded, but they made it work. The hot cookies at night were a nice touch. The shuttle took me to get a bite to eat and picked me up when I was done. I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and being patient and understanding with our expansion/renovation process. Even though we do face unique challenges, my staff is on board to make your stay the best possible. I do have an amazing staff that is very willing to go above and beyond to make your stay great! Thanks again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience! I will be sure to share your comments with my staff! Please come stay with us again!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Construction ruled this stay. They are building a restaurant and remodeling the hotel and it shows. Rooms are not as large as other hotels I have stayed in but it was clean. Good location price was a bit high for government rate. I would recommend it is in a great location.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience. We are very excited about our expansion and we are looking forward to it being completed so that we can share it with you. We are doing our best to make the best of this time with the challenges that we face due to the expansion and renovation. It is going to be really nice when it is completed! Please come back and stay with us again!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown? Share your experiences!