“An unhelpful staff makes a stay at a mediocre hotel go from OK to infuriating in minutes.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Spokane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was unwilling to accommodate my family's two cars, despite having 21 empty parking spots due to a bus load of people in the hotel. They didn't try to help or assist. It wouldn't be a big deal, but traveling across the country with all I your possessions, pets, and two kids (one with special needs), and then being told to park one car blocks away in a pay lot is not a great way to end a day of driving.

• Stayed August 2012
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am so sorry about the parking situation while you were here. Please accept my sincere apology. Most of the time, parking is not an issue, and parking is always free. There are occasions when we ask those guests with multiple cars to park one vehicle in the pay lot right next to our parking lot so that we can be fair to all of our guests. However, we also try to make it right by providing shuttle back to the front door and accommodation for the parking fee. If these were not provided to you, again, I apologize and ask that you please contact me at the hotel so that I can make that happen for you. I hope the rest of your stay was satisfactory and that your trip was successful! I would like to invite you back and give us a chance to make things right.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We typically stay at Holiday Inn Express because of convenient locations, value, breakfast, and consistency in amenities. This was the best experience we've had at an Express! The staff is terrific ... and make you feel that they really care about your stay (we received a nice follow-up note a couple of weeks later). Since the hotel is on a promontory, the view from our balcony was terrific with the Spokane River just across the street. A short walk gets you to the river park (cite of the 1974 World' Exposition), with beautiful views of Spokane falls and river.

Stayed July 2012
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing!! I must say that my favorite thing next to my amazing staff is the great location. We do have great views especially of the Spokane River and the downtown area. We are right on the outskirts of the downtown corridor making getting here and leaving very easy. My staff can also make great recommendation on how to get places as they are all trained as Certified Tourism Ambassadors and make great recommendations from their knowledge and personal experiences. In other words we are very close to everything downtown has to offer without being right in the midst of the downtown hustle bustle. Thank you again and please come stay with us again!
dmk-canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We loved this hotel! After traveling for 3 weeks and staying in all sorts of hotels this was our favorite. Very friendly staff, cute bulldog behind the counter, best breakfast ever, queen beds instead of double, great location to downtown Spokane.
We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor audience. We hope to create an atmosphere of comfort and safety for our guests so that one can relax and feel at home during their travel. We have a great staff that is empowered to do whatever it takes to make that happen for each guest. I would like to invite you back to stay with us again if your travels bring you to our area! Thank you, again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying that for years when we came to Spokane, we stayed at the Davenport. It will seem funny to some - but my wife and I both now prefer the Holiday Inn "On the Rock."

We had become disenfranchised with the Davenport giving less, and expecting more. We decided to give the HI a try. We love it! We are just completing our second stay this month!

Let me be clear - the staff doesn't wear uniforms and white gloves. There aren't people to hold the door, park your car, or plan your day. There isn't an overpriced gift shop, salon, or five star restaurant on property. This isn't that hotel.

What is it then? It's beautiful property with a conscientious, well trained staff. It's a down to earth, generous business that honestly works hard to treat people well - very well. They aren't just going through the motions, they have an obvious commitment to this.

Examples? Free breakfast - the best free hotel breakfast you are likely to find. I should also mention that the woman in charge of the breakfast room is AMAZING. She is beyond efficient, and you won't find a nicer person - and amazingly her sweet demeanor is completely unaffected by the largest stampede of free breakfast grazers you can throw at her! Wait.. There's more. Not just free breakfast, on many evenings they offer a free "light" dinner (which on some nights is a full meal, like the BBQ we enjoyed last night), free beer and wine, free fresh baked cookies and milk in the evenings before bed, and they maintain free coffee service 24/7 and an endless candy dish!

Seriously? Yes. This is the most giving business I've seen in a very long time.

Ok, so they give some free food. What about the hotel? The rooms? The property is very clean and nice. Again though, this is not the type of hotel you are going to walk into your room and ooh and hah at the marble tile, mahogany millwork, four headed steam shower, or fully stocked mini bar - complete with $12 peanuts. That is not even what they aspire to be. It's a great room. The beds are comfortable, there is a flat panel tv with direct tv service, a mini fridge, a microwave, and all of the other things you would expect to find in a quality hotel.

No, the HI does not have a pool or hot tub, and the fitness center is basic - but it doesn't need those things. I don't know about you, but when I come to a hotel, I'm usually not there to hang out "on property" all day.

We travel a lot around the NW, and I'm serious when I say, that this is the best property of its type in the region (large, multiple room, full service, fully staffed properties in the under $200 price range... I'm actually pretty sure even a sweet would go that high).

Did I mention that the property is DOG FRIENDLY!?! It is! They even have their own live-in bulldog- Bebe!

So if you are a dog hater, don't come - besides nobody likes a dog hater anyways ;)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great comments! That is truly an accurate assessment of the comparison of some full service hotels and our limited service hotel. I, too, seek out Holiday Inn Expresses when I travel because of the consistency of the product. Couple that with an amazing staff, and one is in for a great experience at the Holiday Inn Express "On the Rock". I hope that you will come back and stay with us again soon. Our staff is on a mission, and that is to Impress our guests! Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience!
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The hotel on the "Rock" I have wanted for years to stay there, but it has always been booked solid. This time I was able to get a room and found out why it is so popular.
We had a single king "view room" which gave a pleasant view of the lovely river banks down town and a slightly distant view of the former '74 world's fair site. The view is well worth the extra money.
On check in and through out all staff from desk clerks to breakfast lady were wonderfully friendly and helpful. My compliments to a finely run hotel and trained staff.
We checked in on a Wednesday and much to my surprise the hotel was serving complimentary hamburgers, hot dogs along with complimentary beer and wine.
The hotel has undergone an extensive exterior renovation, now looking like a Tudor Mansion. I gather there will be lobby upgrade on the way soon as well.
The hotel sits atop of "the rock" so there is enough parking, just enough on busy nights. Sadly the "rock" does not allow any space for a pool.
The week day breakfast buffet is very good quality, weekends suffer from young inexperienced staff.

Room Tip: Book a "view room", there is slight extra cost well worth it. The rooms also come with a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Dear John K,
I am glad that you were finally able to get a room with us. We do have incredible views and an amazing staff! The exterior renovation does look amazing! It is a great improvement. We will be updating and expanding the breakfast bar and lobby through the winter. I can't wait for that to be done and the share it with you and all the tripadvisor audience. I hope you will come stay with us again! Thank you for staying with us and sharing your experience!
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

I was here overnight just to catch some sleep before catching a plane in the morning. This HIE is very good and is what I expect from the chain. Next time I'm in Spokane I would have no problem staying here again.

The only negative is the 15 minutes waisted on the phone troubleshooting the wireless Internet. Turned out to be a problem on the providers side and not the hotel or me.

• Stayed August 2012
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear KurtBSullivan,
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown. We appreciate your business and your taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor audience. We do have a great hotel in a great location with wonderful service. I would like to apologize for the trouble you had with the internet. The internet seems to be working great now! Please come stay with us on your next trip!
Edmonds, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Excellent location, just across the park from the downtown core, near Gonzaga and WSU-Spokane. This was our 4th stay in Spokane over the last couple of years (a different hotel each time) and by far was the best hotel we have experienced here. The entire facility was exceedingly clean, from lobby to hallway to room. Staff members were very friendly, greeting each guest within speaking distance. Althought the "pancake machine" was broken, there were several choices of hot and cold foods for breakfast. The hotel is located about 100 yards from the riverfront trail, on which a short 5-10 minute walk through the park deposits you at the downtown core. The only thing lacking for complete relaxation was a pool/spa. Holiday Inn Express will be at the top of our list for our next trip back to Spokane.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
lscook, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent and past stays with us at the Holiday Inn Express on the Rock. The walk into Riverfront Park is truly beautiful this time of year. The Centennial Trail is a great trail to walk, run, or bike. It goes on for miles and follows the Spokane River for much of the trail. Spokane is fortunate to have a very vibrant downtown with many restaurants to choose from and entertainment galore from family activities to exciting night life. Again, thanks for staying with us and I'd like to invite you to stay with us again!

Been to Holiday Inn Express Spokane Downtown? Share your experiences!